1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Three Floyd's visit

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by howopeeps, Nov 18, 2012.

1. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

I will be going there this Tuesday night(around 8)and was wondering if it is crowded and would be able to get a table
  2. You should prolly call them up and ask them.
  3. leftyhyzer

leftyhyzer Aficionado (240) Indiana Jul 10, 2012

You should have no prob. Maybe a 15-30 min wait if that. Usually only crazy busy on weekends.
    chanokokoro likes this.
  4. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Should be fine. If there is any wait it would be minimal (15 minutes).
  5. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Advocate (720) Illinois Jan 25, 2009

I'll probably get there about 11:00 am. You text me when you're arriving and I'll leave, giving you my seat at the bar.
    Shagtastic and MarkIntihar like this.
  6. lurchingbeast

You, stay til 8? I don't see that.

I'll be there around 5 on Tuesday. Tuesdays are the new Saturdays at FFF.
    MarkIntihar, AleWatcher and ravot like this.
  7. jpsy422

jpsy422 Savant (300) Illinois Jul 12, 2009

But Saturdays are the old Wednesdays making Tuesdays the future Thursdays. Last I heard the bar burned down. Brewery is ok but the dark lord all boiled.

In short, have a good time.
  8. elNopalero

elNopalero Advocate (665) Texas Oct 14, 2009

I'm going to jump in on this thread as opposed to making a new one since it seems like there's some regulars who have already posted. I've read some of the other boards so I get it--it's crazy busy, packed, and some people have had a less than positive experience. But others haven't, obviously.

So that said... It doesn't surprise me that I've never tried any of their beers--I just haven't spent enough time in places where I would have had a chance to do so. But I'm making it a goal over the winter break to make the trip out there. Seems like early and mid-week is the way to go, although with holiday weather and vacation schedules I have a feeling that's not going to keep me from waiting.

A few questions: Do they just sell cases or can I get a sixer or mixed pack to go? Will there be any growlers left? I am flying to the midwest and won't be checking bags so I'm not too worried/disappointed about missing out on some of the exclusive bombers but I will have some time to work through a few singles.

Looking forward to tasting some of these beers I've been hearing about for years! (I'll still have a bit of a drive so I won't be going too crazy.) And maybe I'll see a few of ya'll out there too.
  9. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

The service has never been less than great for me, at least. Also, if you're by yourself, they try to get you a seat in the bar area pretty quick and don't put you on the same list as groups. At least, they haven't for me.

They sell by the sixer, bomber, and case. They don't do mix-a-six. They just brought growlers back, so it's anyones guess how those will work. In the past, it's been much more cost effective to just get bottles.
    nben60 and MarkIntihar like this.
  10. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Just give them a call an hour out. They have tons of electrical problems there and many fires occur. Don't worry, though, they usually rebuild in about an hour and give out free Brandy Vanilla DL while they berate you.
    Hugonaut13 likes this.
  11. elNopalero

Yes, I heard all about that the fire. And that they are cancelling Darklord Day, moving location, and pulling out of states they distribute to. http://www.3floyds.com/faqs-and-rumors/ (ha!)

@mdomask, the growler would be more of a souvenir for me--the fact that it comes filled with delicious beer is just icing on the cake!
  12. Right. They used to have them, but even before they added on the to-go area, they priced the growlers ridiculously. Hopefully the amend that now.
  13. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Savant (345) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

According to their Facebook posting about it, the growler pricing is:

Dreadnaught $30
    Jinx Proof $18
    Alpha King, Robert the Bruce, Pride & Joy, Gumballhead are all $12

No charge for the growler itself and no growler refills.
  14. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

I went on a Wednesday and Thursday night recently and it was dead.
  15. elNopalero

Heard Zombie Dust is out but it might be old news. Weather permitting this Friday might be my first visit! Aiming for the early afternoon to avoid the waits and hoping to pick up some treats to bring back for NYE.
  16. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Ohhh people are going to love $30 a growler for Dreadnaught...
  17. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Dreadnaught is actually reasonable 3x22oz bottles = $30 for 66oz versus a $30 - 64oz growler.

Jinx Proof on the other hand: 6x12oz bottles = $10 for 72oz versus a $18 - 64oz growler.
  18. elNopalero

Do they still have growlers available?
  19. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Last time I was there (mid-December) they had just started filling growlers again. I assume they still are.

They stopped filling growlers not because they ran out, but rather due to some problems with the tap lines/pressure filler.
  20. MarcatGSB

The pressure filler exploded and almost killed the dude operating the machine and the guy who was purchasing said growlers, then burnt down the bar.
    Hugonaut13 likes this.
  21. lurchingbeast

You almost had me.....
  22. MarcatGSB

Well, when I visited in late October, the guy in the box back there told me that the machine did in fact blow up and injure the dude waiting for his growler...So they were trying to decide how to procede.
  23. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (360) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

IIRC, they won't refill growlers, even their own.
  24. nben60

nben60 Aficionado (105) Indiana May 30, 2011

A growler blew up in the pressure filler and injured a worker, not the guy waiting for his growler. i am pretty sure that is was just a very minor injury. i think the guy said they got a growler tested and found out the growlers couldnt handle the rated psi level. they prolly stop doing growlers that month because they were trying to figure out the problem.
  25. elNopalero

I'm now dangerously addicted to Zombie Dust!
  26. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

ZD so good
  27. myersk27

myersk27 Savant (400) Indiana Oct 21, 2011

having a zombie dust right now, and i agree....i'm addicted
  28. Stevedore

Just stopped by for lunch today- went back to the Alpha King and tried the BackMasking. Both went great with the FingerLickin'.

Funny thing happened when I went to go buy some ZD afterwards- apparently the fellow manning the to-go counter said I had already bought 2 cases that morning. Which I knew was obviously impossible. What's more, I'm Asian and he recalled two Asians coming in earlier, saying I was one of them. I had to convince him to check with the folks at the bar to confirm that I came in by myself and was ahem, a different Asian fellow and should be allowed to purchase some ZD.

I know that perhaps in NWI, Asians all look the same, but dang. I saw that thread (deleted?) about "breweries with attitude" where the fellow was complaining about getting attitude over the phone.. if it's the same guy, I wonder if he was having a bad day. He was apologetic, no harm was done and I got to walk out with some ZD.

Sooo... I can't grow a beard, but maybe I can get some tattoos?
    MarcatGSB and Jerktookmyname like this.
  29. If you get a tattoo, get one that says, "I'm not him." ;)
    ObeMaltKinobee likes this.
  30. nben60

nben60 Aficionado (105) Indiana May 30, 2011

three floyds has a big problem with liquor store owners coming in and buy as much beer as possible and trying to buy more than their limit so they can stock their stores and sell the beer illegally. these guys usually come in groups and ive seen them by their cars changing jackets and hats and glasses trying to fool the kiosk worker, or begging people outside the door to buy them more cases. these people are breaking the law and fff is trying to stop them. there was probably a group of asians that came through earlier and tried to pull a fast one, and it probably pissed of the kiosk worker, and you had to deal with the aftermath. im sorry you had to deal with that, and it is good that he made things right and found out you werent in that group and sold you some dust and apologized. dont take it personally, these kiosk workers have to deal with a lot of bullshit and the guy was just trying to cover his ass.
  31. Stevedore

Absolutely, I've heard stories about less scrupulous liquor store owners getting bums to line up for cases at FFF. Like I said, that fellow manning the kiosk was probably having a bad day (as I mentioned, he might have been the same guy dealing with the BA who put him on speakerphone and asked if ZD was 'in' yet).

I have to stress that he wasn't particularly impolite to me. I just found the whole situation to be a bit funky. How do you easily prove a negative- that I wasn't there earlier that morning? In the end, we found a way to resolve it, I bought some fresh ZD and everyone moved on. I know its business not personal and I appreciated the apology. I have zero complaints about the actual service in the brewpub- always been a pleasure to sit down to enjoy a pint over their food.

On a related note, FFF is a great brewpub and they put out lots of great beer. I imagine they are a victim of their own success at this point as they have to deal with all these things relating to their more popular brews that are rather hard to find outside of the brewpub, e.g. sporadic sightings of ZD cases in Chicago and the rest of Indiana- and if you live elsewhere, you're lucky to find it on tap. This isn't a new topic on these forums of course, but how much do you think the unpleasantness, rules, etc. would change if they were able to increase supply to meet the insane demand for FFF? And is there any particular reason why they haven't done so despite being what most would consider "successful"?
    nben60 likes this.
  32. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (435) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

Yes, they're under an Indiana state production cap. They're rumored to be scouting a Chicago pub as well as a place in Europe.
    nben60 likes this.
  33. Stevedore

You know, upon review, I imagine it's probably the fact that the place keeps burning down.