1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Three Philosophers?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by alucard6679, Apr 11, 2013.

1. alucard6679

alucard6679 Member

I haven't tried it, but I've been wanting to. I walked into a store the other day and see one 2011 bottle and a few from 2012. So, my question to you is: as someone who has never had this beer, which one should I grab? Well, assuming they're both still there of course.

2. Flight0011

Flight0011 Member

grab one of each and compare;)
    djs467, TicoCali, 4balance and 8 others like this.
  3. BB1313

BB1313 Member

Great beer.. I agree with grabbin both and comparing if possible. If not, I'd go with the 2011 although it's good fresh too. Win/Win situation imo..
    4balance, gatornation and TongoRad like this.
  4. mmmbirra

mmmbirra Member

I had a three year old bottle recently that was phenomenal. The acidity and complexity from the sourness seems to come out more with a little age.
    TongoRad likes this.
  5. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

Another vote for the 2011- definitely take advantage of the opportunity as this beer can handle the age, and even improve.
    4balance likes this.
  6. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Member

As late as last year I knew of a place in SD that had it going back to 07'. Awesome but it gets hot in that store so probably didn't hold up the best anyways.
  7. Rohkey

Rohkey Member

Why not both? I would have the fresher one right away, take notes, and age the other one for a couple years to try to compare. I had my first aged quad yesterday (Pannepeut from 2007) and it was incredible. Better than any fresh quad I've had (haven't had Westvleteren yet, though).
  8. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Member

I had a 2009 recently and it was extremely good. Better than I remember it being fresh.
  9. Flashy

Flashy Member

One of my all-time favorites. Can't go wrong.
    BogleHill likes this.
  10. 4kbrianb

4kbrianb Member

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know the cut off date for when they switched to the new branding? I have a few old style label bottles, and 1 of the newer ones, and after searching I can't find a clear cut date. I believe it was mid 2012 right?
  11. superspak

superspak Member

The first new label I ever saw was the Biere De Garde they released in July, so it's a safe bet.
  12. chrismilner20

chrismilner20 Member

I just had a bottle that was from 2004 and it was fading but it was great. It drank like a port almost, great dried fruit notes. After the age it did have a fair amount of sediment at the bottom. I would by a couple and age some and drink some fresh.
  13. JimDH

JimDH Member

I'm apparently in the minority on this. Cellar aging is fine, but if you don't know how beer was treated before you bought it you stand a better chance of getting it as it's supposed to be if you buy it fresher.

Obviously others disagree.
    Jake1605 and wiscokid920 like this.
  14. yankeepride

yankeepride Member

If you don't know what it tastes like fresh, then you won't appreciate how much better is (probably) is when aged, so you're missing out on the comparative experience. However, for things like Angel's Share, where it's just so damn hot coming out of the bottle, you can usually take the advice of tons of others and just age it without testing it first.

Grab that '11 and a '13 and have the '13 now.
    wiscokid920 and mecummins like this.
  15. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Member

Slightly off topic, but how long would you recommend cellaring the Abbey Ale? I have had both Three Philosophers and Abbey fresh and am currently cellaring a bottle of both. I was wondering if anyone has any experiencing cellaring both and what suggestions they may have. Thanks!
  16. kell50

kell50 Member

A buddy & I popped my 2010 Three Phils the other nite and it was incredible. This beer is tasty fresh, but the blending of a quad and lambic are beautiful together after a few years.

Ommegang is fantastic!
  17. cdmillard

cdmillard Member

Great beer. Grab Both. Enjoy!
  18. FatherHennepin

FatherHennepin Member

Our recommended aging for Abbey is 5 years, but you can certainly age beyond then. As many have stated above it is really your personal preference on what ages you like best.
    JrGtr, TongoRad, elgiacomo and 2 others like this.
  19. lsummers

lsummers Member

I love aged quads. I'd say if you can only choose one, choose the older. You can always find it fresh. And make a deal with yourself that if you find the older one off, that you at least give a fresh one a try.
  20. cattersley

cattersley Member

AGREED! Great beer, all in fun in comparing the two.
  21. templar316

templar316 Member

Three Philosophers is fabulous! And even better aged, but not in a hot/cold store...
  22. wardenclyffe

wardenclyffe Member

I had this beer about 3 years ago (admittedly before my craft beer tastes developed) and I still consider it the worst beer I have ever had. Mine tasted like cherry cough medicine. I have been meaning to give it another chance, but for now my answer is to move on to something else.
  23. alucard6679

alucard6679 Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up going with the '11. I figured I'll either like it or I wont and either way it'll give me a reason to go back and pick up a fresh one