1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Thrillist: "Every State in the USA, Ranked By Its Beer"

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rocket80, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Vogt52

Vogt52 Advocate (570) Maryland May 25, 2014

pretty cool list.

2. bubseymour

bubseymour Advocate (650) Maryland Oct 30, 2010

Ok, I speak for mid atlanitc area and there is no way Maryland should be ranked higher than Virginia (and I live in Maryland).
    1) our taxes in MD make beer a lot more expensive
    2) we don't get Bells, Founders (VA does)
    3) VA has much more beer friendly laws (grocery store beer, growler fill stations etc). Only a few counties in MD are on par.
    4) They didn't even mention 3 Brothers. Easily the best brewery in the state.

Also noticed they didn't metion Mispillion in Deleware. They are really putting out some good stuff. They need to do a little more research or consult with locals before finalizing this list.

WV sucks in their craft beer culture. They should be barely above Missisippi and writers got that one correct.

3. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Savant (290) Oklahoma Aug 10, 2013

Nice list but I gave up reading after getting to Texas because of the number of beers from states listed higher, isn't worth my time to read about considering I have to go out of state to find 99.9% of them.

4. Vogt52

Vogt52 Advocate (570) Maryland May 25, 2014

I think the article was more aimed at beers brewed in each particular state. Not beer distribution

5. hophead_87

hophead_87 Savant (315) Virginia Apr 23, 2014

My thoughts exactly. Flying Dog carried the torch for MD and I love them, but VA has up and comers like Hardywood and Three Brothers not included.. plus Alewerks and Lickinghole? cmon...

I also don't think Rogue should be mentioned in defense of Oregon being #1.

pjvie, DemoniChris, chippo33 and 4 others like this.
  6. Do people in New York even drink the beers/breweries brewed there? NY seems way too high, especially considering its population base to "quality" beer ratio.

7. The list is pretty solid overall, but I don't understand how anyone could put Colorado over Michigan. Colorado is solid, but nowhere near CA/OR/MI in terms of producing world-class beers.

8. Arkansas at 38 is a joke , while opening this up I wondered if we would be 50 or 49 , Core is a joke and Diamond Bear is as stale as 3 week old wonder bread

9. zid

zid Savant (430) New York Feb 15, 2010

If I've learned anything from BeerAdvocate, it's that US beer nerds are REALLY obsessed with US geography.

TongoRad, AdamNowek, jmw and 33 others like this.
  10. bubseymour

I don't know squat about Arkansas and beer culture but would have guessed they would be somewhere in the bottom 5 as well. I'd put Arkansas up there with the most forgotten about states in the US (not just beer, but in general). Aside from the Clinton's what are they known for that differentiates themselves from any other state?

11. Whomever wrote this list believes Summit is unavailable outside of Minnesota.

All credibility - lost.

12. turfy

turfy Savant (350) Texas Mar 17, 2010

California should definitely be #1

Sounds good to me.

imhoudinibitch and GameOfBeers like this.
  14. Why not Rogue? They have 9 beers listed on the Beers of Fame list.

15. South2NW

South2NW Savant (270) Oregon Nov 25, 2013

As a native Arkansan, I've got to agree. I would've placed AR in the 45-50 range. Never had Core, but Diamond Bear is atrocious. I've heard that the distributor to AR is getting better at least.

DrunkinYogi and ubenumber2 like this.
  16. Asics

Asics Savant (345) Washington Jul 28, 2012

WA at 5 feels fair. It's a good thing Oregon is 2.5 hours south ;)

draheim likes this.
  17. So, the top 10 list is:

1. Oregon

2. California

3. Colorado’

4. Michigan

5. Washington

6. Vermont

7. Wisconsin

8. Pennsylvania

9. New York

10.Massachusetts

I personally do not have any major issues with that list. I might ‘vote’ to move PA into 7 over Wisconsin solely for having a bit longer list of quality craft breweries but I recognize why New Glarus gets lots of love.

Cheers!

18. Wobbly

Wobbly Savant (440) Missouri Oct 4, 2013

Pretty fair, although I would put Wisconsin a bit closer to #1. One of the reasons why WI is rated lower is because so much of its beer does not make it out of the state, which is both good and bad. Personally, I would place both WI and Michigan ahead of California, which has some of the most overrated breweries in the country.

SportsandJorts and jRocco2021 like this.
  19. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I agree. Nelson County, VA alone should be ranked higher than all of MD. Overall though, we're a pretty good beer state.

Sludgeman likes this.
  20. 22Blue

22Blue Savant (460) Kansas Nov 10, 2013

I am shocked that Kansas is ranked # 36! Shocked in a good way. Thought we would be lower.
    Good thing I live close to Missouri.

21. 'Gansett is just headquartered in Rhode Island, not much of it is actually brewed here. We should be dead last.

22. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

PA should be moved way down on the list with their draconian beer distribution laws.

meefmoff and BerBen like this.
  23. amalburg

amalburg Savant (340) Michigan Jan 7, 2014

I appreciate the beer in MI knowledge here.
    Very cool. We are the 8%!

Dustin_A_Stoutdrinker likes this.
  24. hophead_87

hophead_87 Savant (315) Virginia Apr 23, 2014

They've just become so gimmicky. And most of their beers lately have been awful. Understand they've had great beers in the past but nothing of note lately..

basto, chippo33 and russpowell like this.
  25. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Comparing states to each other is like comparing a watermelon to a grape. They are both round therefore they are alike!

26. Texas ought to be higher than that.

27. Beer: it's not a competi...

Eh, I give up.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  28. I understand your comment.

I happen to live in Southeastern PA (SEPA and luckily I have access to many retailers that sell beer by the bottle or 6-pack. If I lived in Altoona I might not be able to state that.

The real plus about PA (in particular SEPA) is that distribution (in terms of craft beer availability) is absolutely AWESOME. Tons of craft breweries want to sell their beer here; selection is excellent! We get Russian River (Pliny the Elder on tap; Belgian styles on tap and bottles), Hill Farmstead makes their beer available here, Cantillion is regularly available in Philly and suburbs, and on and on and on...

But yeah, the state laws are in need of reform. Once that happens, SEPA will be beer mecca!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers!

29. I can't disagree with anything on the list since it's not a slideshow and the year is 2014.

30. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

I feel like New Mexico and Ohio should be higher. Yeah, there might not be much talk about NM and beer but that, IMO, is primarily due to their limited distribution. I wish I still had access to Marble's brews. And I am completely impressed with how many quality beers come out of Ohio.

31. dhannes

dhannes Savant (360) Wisconsin Feb 14, 2010

I agree (and I'm from Wisconsin)--actually, I'd drop Wisconsin to 10th behind Pennsylvania, New York and Massachusetts...maybe moving Illinois ahead of Wisconsin. Wisconsin only has 3 large craft brewers in its largest city, Milwaukee (Sprecher's, Milwaukee, and Lakefront), and about 10 others that are widely distributed.

32. BeerMeBro720

BeerMeBro720 Savant (380) Ohio May 2, 2013

I see you Ohio ;)

Matthew1788 likes this.
  33. bubseymour

Yes I'd have to agree there. Although Brewer's Art out of Baltimore makes very solid beers. Also just yesterday I stopped at Realerevival in Cambridge MD and have to say, they are making solid beers. Their Nectar IPA is the best IPA I've had anywhere brewed in the state of MD and on par with some of the better ones around the country that are well known.

34. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

oh but it is in the USA....

your right of course, its pointless to say 1 famous brewery beer is better so the whole state gets a higher ranking, but folks that write magazines are OUT of ideas and have been for a long time.

its beer you drink it and enjoy it.

so in the land of rank everything, you get weekly ranks. I am surprised their are not polls on what the best beer is....

wait,,,,we do that here every day.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek:

35. EagleTalon

EagleTalon Advocate (530) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2002

Here we go with the Arkansas bashing again.

To give you credit, If you were to rate states on beer labels and marketing, I'd say AR couldn't give Lazy Magnolia and Lucky Town a fair fight. Now let's tastes what's in the bottle.

In blind judging, beers from Arkansas breweries have done well. If you take out the crappy labels and the "soooo...this is from Arkansas LOL" factor it is not bad at all. For a state that had very few breweries at the time, Vino's, Bosco's and Diamond Bear have collectively won at least 10 medals at WBC and GABF in the last 10 years or so. Ozark is getting lots of early buzz about their quality. And more good things to come from Omar at Lost 40 in LR next year.

Core is newer and needs to get their QC figured out soon or they will get their weenie-dog ass kicked. I've had good and horrible from them. Add to that the name "Core" is often misheard as "Coors".

And for God's sake, ease up on my friends at DB! IMO, there's nothing technically wrong with their beer--their malty stuff is great (Porter, O-Fest and Brown) balanced stuff is good (Pale Ale, Blonde and Irish Red) but their IPA and Double IPA are not up to par in todays market. I'm honest with them about that. Their labeling and marketing needs serious updating. Yes, they had QC problems in the past, but the last two years or so their bottled products have been very clean and consistent as they have stepped up their procedures and moved more product off the shelves, keeping available stock fresher.

38 is about right. I would not have guessed Arkansas as high as 38 initially, but not in the bottom 5!

Arkansas is a troubled state, it has problems, but making atrocious beer is not one of them. Enough of the broad brush stroke.

beertunes and russpowell like this.
  36. azorie

azorie Advocate (725) Florida Mar 18, 2006

I doubt anyone that wrote that article is in these forums, so I understand your great points. but they do not care. its just a silly list.

rollom, 5thOhio and HuskyHawk like this.
  37. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

AZ at 35 is a joke, especially ahead of Hawaii. Thought it would be more like mid 40's.

38. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Them's fightin' words Jack.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. Neptunez77

Neptunez77 Disciple (55) Minnesota Jul 11, 2014

This list factors in macro breweries, which I'm not sure some of you are realizing. Not to be a homer, but I would probably put Minnesota in the top 10. There are some phenomenal breweries that weren't even listed August Schell, Indeed, Steel Toe, etc. We also have the king of adjunct lagers in Grain Belt Premium.

302BeerGuy and hardy008 like this.