1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ticking yearly goals?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Grohnke, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Grohnke

Grohnke Savant (390) Illinois Sep 15, 2009

Page one has 2 ticking threads, and it got me wondering..do you tickers (fd: I'm not one) set goals at the beginning of the year for a targeted amount of different beers to try? Or you just do it as it comes?

Cheers

2. I've looked at beers before and thought to myself, "I will never get the privilege of tasting that," and I shrug it off and move on, and then a year or two later get the opportunity to buy of share one. For me personally, I have some desires that I will seek out, but typically I just get beers as they come. I like to try almost everything, even if I'm pretty sure that I won't like it, but the only goals I have for this year regarding beer are to obtain a bottle of Utopias, preferably the 10th anniversary bottle, and purchase the next big bottle of beer for our house anniversary party, and I currently have my eyes on a 9 liter bottle of St. Feuillien Triple.

Kyrojack likes this.
  3. I'm generally the same, except I know if a beer is awful theres a good chance I won't drink it.

4. Ticking in its truest sense is not necessarily about specific beers (tho' can be) it's more about total numbers of new beers.... a ticks a ticks a tick!

I've gone through phases of ticking and it obviously gets harder the more you tick in terms of finding new ticks ... well that was the case in the 90's but its got easier now as there are so many breweries and venues compared to then.

I started again at the beginning of 2012.

I trundled along and by late July had sampled around 650 different beers then I upped the pace.
    During the period August - December I had another 1200+ so total for the year was late 1800's.

Next year I have no targets as I am about to embark on 3 or 4 beer lite months. However I would still expect to tick at least another 1,000 new beers in 2013.

yemenmocha and westcoastbeerlvr like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I don't set numerical goals for ticking. I just try all the beers I can as they come my way.

6. JamesMN

JamesMN Savant (370) Minnesota Jul 12, 2012

I set 'goals' of making sure I get my hands on seasonals and such that I haven't had but know their reputation. But if it's something I can't get locally then I just accept that and move on because I know I'll end up getting to try it at some point. When I first got into craft beer I really wanted to try DFH because of the show Brew Masters but couldn't get any because they don't distribute near me. Fast forward to now and as luck would have it I've tried more of their beers than almost any other brewery. I guess my point is that for me 'ticking' is a game of patience.

7. I did one year. I think I had 10 personal white whales that I wanred to try. By the end of the year, I believe I had tracked down all but one of them.

8. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (435) California Nov 20, 2010

Share as many beers as possible with as many cool people as possible, while still maintaining a healthy beer/life/exercise/nutrition balance. Very tempting to ditch that whole balance thing sometimes.

drewone, Treyliff and Jimmys like this.
  9. Agreed. I didn't look for BCBS . . .it FOUND me!:D

kirkse likes this.
  10. So how in the world do you manage to try an average of five+ different beers a day for a year? Better yet, you must have averaged about 8 different beers a day for the last five months of the year, how?

dennis3951 and rjniles like this.
  11. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

I think this year I may just actually drink a beer. Figured since I have become an ace collector maybe I should see what the fuss is all about.

seeswo, YogiBeer and Durb777 like this.
  12. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

Never set a goal on a number. I checked last night doing my last review of 2012 that I had exactly 250 reviews for the year. The better way is to take the opportunities to try new beers as they come.

13. Not that difficult sharing bottles with friends at tastings etc.

I went to the states in November on a beercation, Chicago, Portland, Seattle.

We worked out before we left London that we would be in the US for around 152 hours so set a target for one beer per hour whilst in the states.

Surpassed that with 195. Easy ... Portland for instance, HUB - 10 beer sample tray, New old Lompoc - 8, Amnesia - 8 etc etc.

Remember we're talking ticking here not sitting at home drinking bomber after bomber writing a 2 page review!

14. i quit or slowed down reviewing on BA with the new format from last year but i personally tick or try about 300 brews a year

15. My main goal for 2012 was to complete the Top 100 of Canada (easier than the other Top 100's). I'm 5 short but have a few coming my way and if all goes well, will finish the 100 by the end of the month.

I have to say that i'm starting to want to beers that think outside of the box, more experimental in terms of flavors. There are a few local ones but mostly they would require travelling. I remember reading in the BA mag a few months ago about a brewer that added whole (cherry?) pies to the mix. That's the kind of thinking i like. It can be epic or a fail but part of the fun for me is to try them.

16. I don't tick at all. I try what comes along and will trade occasionally to get beers that Id really like to try. But by no means do I set a numerical goal or try to see how many I can get through.

17. After 5 years of being on BA, I'm gonna try to finish ticking the Top 100 Beers of Fame list. I have maybe 10 to go.

18. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

depends on how many parties you can get to where the entire room shares a single 12 oz. beer. ;)

19. Drink good beer, if I have time, write about it! That's about it.

beercanman likes this.
  20. I try and do a beer a day doesn't always work out that way though.

21. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Well since I just learned what ticking is...

No goals for me. I shop with my eyeballs, buy stuff I think I might like or that looks interesting. I drink them, no sipping an ounce and drain pouring. Even if I don't like it, will finish it. If I like someting, will buy more...worth keeping notes just for that purpose, Probably the cheapskate Yankee gene at work there. I like taking my time, giving the brew a fair chance, and at the very least keepin notes for myself. I enjoy the exercise of trying to pic out flavors and aromas, develoing myown opinion, seeing where it stacks up. I thought it was pretty good that I drank sixty or so different beers last year.

Bung and Sludgeman like this.
  22. FosterJM

FosterJM Champion (825) California Nov 16, 2009

I think my only goal for 2013 is to get to 2000+ reviews and maybe jump up on the Top 100 to 90. I am at 82 I think right now.

Cheers!

23. Checked my untappd after seeing this thread, and hilariously enough, had 365 unique beers in 2012. Probably a good goal for 2013.

24. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Over 300 ticked since mid June when I joined untappd.
    Great year, but I'm going to slow it down and revisit the ones I really enjoyed from 2012 and maybe another 200 new ones for the year.

25. I wanted to tick 1,000 new beers in 2012. I got over 2,000. I will probably shoot for another 2,000 in 2013.

jmgrub likes this.
  26. Well, I have no real interest in "ticking" anything. But I have averaged 600 beer reviews per year for the last several years and I'll probably keep to that pace this year- that is, as long as the old liver holds up. Wish me luck!

tewaris likes this.
  27. I'd like to set a goal of one new beer per day or 5 per week, but it's a case of choosing between doing that or becoming obese for me...

28. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

I always buy beer I haven't tried. I have my favorites, but I tick every new one. To me its kind of like watching my palate change looking through the journal.

29. You should up the ante and shoot for 366 in 2014!

30. I started ticking right around this time last year. I never set any kind of numerical goal, but just to figure out which beers I liked enough to go back for. As of right now I'm around 760.

31. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Nope, it happens as it happens.

LeRose likes this.
  32. Bah, you know the thrill is all in the chase :p

33. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I told myself I would focus more on drinking ones I have ticked and enjoyed instead of constantly drinking only new ones (to me).
    Then I went out and bought 18 different beers online, and another 9 different ones at bottle shops and Kuhnhenn today. ::)

34. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (700) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

My only goal is to stop being lazy. I have a little log books I keep to tick beers but I have been too lethargic to transfer the info to Beer Advocate.

35. My goal is to stop getting so disappointed when I'm not able to purchase the "big beer" when it's released and to start enjoying all the constant offerings and easier to obtain stuff that is easily available. Those limited release beers will come and go. Just gotta remind myself that just cuz I missed out on it this time, doesn't mean there won't be a next time.