tips for a low gravity clone of a high gravity brew

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by mugs1789, Mar 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mugs1789

mugs1789 Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2005 Maryland

I'd like to brew an all-grain clone of Flying Dog's Raging B. However, I prefer lower gravity brews. Raging B comes in around 8% and I'll aim for something closer to 5%.

Most of the clone recipes I've seen provide for an OG between 1.060 and 1.080. That seems to be about 15# of grain at 75% efficiency. Most recipes I've looked at are about 92% pilsner or pale ale grain and 7% C60, although I've seen some that include candi sugar.

Any tips for maintaining a flavor profile while reducing OG at the same time?

2. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

When you just proportionally scale down a big beer, you can end up with a distinct lack of body and flavor. A way to mitigate this is to aim for a less fermentable wort (through less fermentable grains, mash temps, shorter mash times) or use a yeast strain with less attenuation. If there's any simple sugar in the original recipe, consider reducing/deleting it, and consider going a little heavier (proportionally) with the specialty grains. There's no magic formula though. Designing really good low gravity beers is an art.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  4. OddNotion

OddNotion Pooh-Bah (1,853) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Trial and error. I would potentially up the crystal malt % for some increased body in a smaller brew and potentially a bit more of the flavor. Luckily with that particular beer most of the flavor profile is the yeast and complemented by the hops so you can certainly get plenty of flavor from those without much to worry about.

5. carteravebrew

carteravebrew Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Colorado

We brew pretty much exclusively beers around 1.045 for almost all styles. Vikeman hit on a few things we've realized we need to do to get a good tasting, full-bodied beer.

Mash high, like 160*F, don't oxygenate (just give your fermenter a good shake), ferment on the low end temperature-wise, don't be afraid of specialty malts (substitute some base malt with cara-pils).

Oh, and watch your IBU:OG ratio. Too much bitterness can make a low-gravity beer very unpleasant. Work backwards when calculating your IBU's, meaning if you're aiming for, say, 1.25 IBU:OG ratio, determine your late hops (flavor/aroma) and their IBU contribution. Adjust your bittering charge from there.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The trick to brewing a clone of Raging Bitch (regardless of OG) would be obtaining the proper yeast: the El Diablo strain which is produced by BSI in Colorado.

I am not aware that BSI sells yeast to homebrewers.

Cheers!

7. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

All good advice...might I suggest a name? ..."Raging Princess" :slight_smile:

mugs1789 likes this.
  8. mugs1789

A few discussions on hbt suggest that diablo is a wit yeast.

9. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (1,107) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

hopefully naugled will respond here because he brewed a pretty amazing RB clone. Have you brewed a BIPA before?

10. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

It may be possible that El Diablo is 'classified' as a wit yeast strain, but the Belgiany character (esters and phenols) in Raging Bitch are much greater than what I obtain in my wit beers using 3944 and 3463.

Hopefully @Naugled will come to the rescue!

Cheers!

11. mugs1789

I have not.

12. telejunkie

telejunkie Savant (1,107) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

i've only done one (sort of two but second one was really just a hoppy pale ale fermented w/duvel strain). Other people may have different opinions, but in my limited experience find it's a balancing act getting a good mix of hoppy characteristics to belgian characteristics. I opted to keep the belgian yeast characteristics more on the muted side with a lower range ferm temp helped because the phenols & esters can dominate when ferm temps gets ramped up if using a strain like westmalle or duvel.

13. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

Great advice in this thread so far. I made an "Alchemy Minute" APA clone of Great Lakes Alchemy Hour/Chillwave DIPA, and while it was very tasty, it would have benefited greatly from several if not all of the suggestions in this thread.

14. atomeyes

atomeyes Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2011 Canada (ON)

i was at a local establishment yesterday and was talking to the brewer about their session ale (2.5%). he told me it was trial and error for them to get a full-body and full-flavour session beer.

he said that they mash high (not sure if i'd go up to 160 F...would probably peak at 156 F). they use the same malt bill as a regular gravity ale, but they cut their sparge well short. they don't want any tannins in their wort, so they won't do a full-volume sparge and will just top up their brew kettle with water to get to volume.

and yeah, i wouldn't be using Chico as your yeast strain. use something a bit less aggressive.

15. Naugled

Naugled Pooh-Bah (1,882) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Jack, thanks for tagging me on this post, I missed the RB reference.

Mugs, here is an RB clone recipe from the Flying Dog kit. The kit includes two vials of yeast.

2-row 95%
    C60 5%

Mash at 150-152F

Warrior 25g @ 90 min, 57 IBU
    Amarillo/CTZ 13g @ 15min, 8 IBU
    Amarillo/CTZ 36g, FO
    Amarillo 70g, DH

Target OG 1.072
    Target FG 1.009

Ferment at 68F
    Cool to 50F after complete and DH with Amarillo

This came out dead on. I've gotten close with the grain and hop bills in past but the yeast was the missing link to to getting the right flavor profile. The yeast was the key to obtaining the correct flavor. I probably made 4 or 5 attempts at it with different wit yeasts before I finally got my hands on the right stuff.

I see you're in Maryland. I believe the will be offering this kit again in May. I'd swing by and pick one up, just for the yeast. Check out their website, I believe the post a schedule.

If I were to 'sessionize' this beer I'd follow much of the advice given from the others.
    Lower the OG to maybe 1.050, target the same FG, but mash a bit higher, maybe 154-156F.
    Adjust the bittering hop IBUs and the FO/DH amounts to maintain the original IBU:OG ratio. They didn't reveal the Amarillo/CTZ proportions, but I've used a 50:50 split on following recipes and it seems to be correct.

So Raging Princess would look like this to me...

2-row 95%
    C60 5%

Mash at 154-156F (I'd stay closer to the lower end on my system)

Warrior @ 90 min, 40 IBU (you might be able to go to 60min for the boil)
    Amarillo @ 15min, 5 IBU
    Amarillo/CTZ 32g, FO
    Amarillo 63g, DH

Target OG 1.050 (I randomly picked this number)
    Target FG 1.009 (this will give you about a 5.4% beer)

Ferment at 68F
    Cool to 50F after complete and DH with Amarillo

Let me know if you brew it. I'd like to hear the results. I may even try a little bitch myself.

16. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Brew it on the moon. Gravity is lower there. :grinning:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  17. mugs1789

Great thread. Thanks for all the input. I love the moniker 'raging princess.'

18. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Crusader (407) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Out of curiosity, do you recall which Wit yeasts you have tried?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.