Dismiss Notice
Sneak peek! BeerAdvocate magazine #104 (September 2015) featuring Leah & Oscar from Highland Brewing in Asheville, North Carolina. Learn more ...
Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest BeerAdvocate updates delivered to your inbox.

Tips for purchasing barrels for aging.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by hawksfan82, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Hey guys, I manage a bar in St. Louis and would like to try and get at least two barrels to lend to a brewery to maybe try out a barrel aging product.

We only do beer and no packaged liquor to I'm not sure we can get barrels from our beer reps in return for buying a ton of packaged liquor. I'm looking online but it looks like it's about a 500 dollar investment per barrel.

I've heard that some wineries out here might be willing to part with a barrel here or there and I'm looking at that option right now (sour beer aged in wine/oak), but I was wondering if there was anyone on here who knew of places that would part with their old spirit barrels for not too much $$$.

Thanks in advance guys,

Cheers.

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (470) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

3. Look locally. Shipping is often the biggest cost. We've gotten our five 53-60 gallon barrels all for between $60-$120.

4. Thanks, fellas. Hit up a bunch of local wineries. Am put on the list of one which means I could get access tomorrow......or a year down the road.

5. kodymupa

kodymupa Aficionado (220) Illinois Dec 14, 2010 Verified

What have people done for sanitizing the barrel? Are they use Bourbon barrels or has a brewery already aged beer in them?

6. I'm wondering if I can get someone an un-sanitized wine barrel and playing around with a new sour, or making one or their normal offerings "wild."

7. The problem with using unsanitized wine barrels is you have a tremendous likelihood of getting a lot more acetic character than you likely wanted in your beer.

8. Certainly.

That's just my initial thought process.....I'll let the dudes who do this for a living make the final decision. :)