1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tips on a Mint Chocolate Stout

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by oldschool9, Oct 7, 2012.

1. oldschool9

oldschool9 Aficionado (220) Ohio Dec 20, 2010

Hello everyone,

First post here in the Homebrew section. Looking to brew a extract stout recipe here on November 3rd for Learn How to HomeBrew Day.

Looking to see if anyone had a good stout extract recipe they would not mind on sharing?

Also, I am going to try to make it a Mint Chocolate Stout so I was going to add some cocoa powder and some mint. As far as the Mint would you guys recomend doing Mint extract right before bottling, put the extract in secondary and let it sit for a while, or try to dry hop it with mint leaves? The cocoa powder I was just going to add in the boil kettle in the last 5 minutes of the boil.

Looking for any feedback really, my first time adding mint or chocolate to a brew.

Thanks

2. Hands22

Hands22 Savant (250) Florida Oct 14, 2011

I actually just opened my first mint chocolate milk stout yesterday. I used half a tin of Hershey's cocoa powder and thought it wasn't quite chocolaty enough. Make sure you add some water and the powder to a bowl first and make a slurry. I heard it won't dissolve in the boil otherwise. As for the mint, I added mint leaves to secondary and let them sit for a week. If you want to use mint extract though I'd do it just before bottling.

It's a great combination! My friends told me it tasted like thin mints :)

3. oldschool9

Sounds great, and exactly what I am looking for as the cold weather approaches here in Ohio. How much cocoa would you recommend that I add then to a 5 gallon batch if I like chocolate? Also for the mint how many leaves did you add to secondary? Was thinking about 1 oz of extract for the mint, might be easier? Thanks for your input, really does help.

4. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'd suggest like 5oz of cocoa powder in the boil. You could also, double it up, and if the stout will be sweet enough, use some cocoa nibs. They give a real chocolate taste to the beer, but give you that bittering dark unsweet chocolate flavor. Aroma is really nice. So maybe dry nib with the mint to toss the chocolate aroma over the edge.

Can't help on the mint though... Haven't used it, but it does sound tasty!!

JustinQ likes this.
  5. Hands22

I used about 3 oz of mint leaves. If you want to do mint extract I'd do it a bit at a time until you get the flavor you want. I can't remember how much chocolate I added but I'll look when I get home.

6. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

Nice info.. Might try to do a small batch like... 2 gallons or something and play.. Care to share your base recipe if it's all grain? I promise I won't bastardize it too bad.

7. oldschool9

^ Or if it is extract thats fine too. Thanks for the information, the chocolate and the mint are the most unknown areas for me with this brew.

8. Hands22

Sure! This is my 5 gallon all-grain recipe (1.053 OG, 75% efficiency).

6.5 lbs marris otter
    0.75 lbs crystal 60
    0.75 lbs Munich
    0.75 lbs roasted barley
    0.5 lbs chocolate malt
    0.5 lbs flaked barley
    0.75 lbs lactose
    4 oz hershey's unsweetened cocoa

30 IBUs of EKG
    WLP 002

I think when I rebrew this I'll tone down the roasted barley (too much coffee, maybe 0.5 lbs?) and add more cocoa.

9. oldschool9

Looks good, anyone trying using the 100 percent cacoa bars of chocolate unstead of the cacoa powder? I did not know if there was much of a difference or not, and if the 100 percent cacoa would be bitter?

10. JustinQ

JustinQ Savant (305) California Nov 24, 2011

same thing to say as FATC1TY, but If I were to use mint, I would either Soak a bunch of leaves in 100 proof Vodka and add it to taste at bottling/kegging. Or use it in secondary (kind of like sage in Gruit), also just to taste. Start with about a week, then give it a try every four days or so until satisfied, then bottle. Hope this helps. Cheers!

11. goodonezach

goodonezach Initiate (0) New York Mar 24, 2011

a little bit of vanilla extract in secondary won't hurt either. you might not need to be as heavy handed with the cocoa powder. i'm not sure if anyone's tried this but i did this in my batch of mint chocolate porter last year, and it got infected so i have no idea how it would have come out but i'm planning on trying it again this year.

12. I make one of these every year since I started brewing, tweaking the recipe each year.

I've tried cocao power, lots of chocolate malt, etc. I've found this years batch is exceptional aged on Cocao nibs, and dry minting if you will. We used 4 oz. of mint for dry minting, and another 2 oz. in the boil. I've been told by many it's like a smooth Andes Mint in a glass with a heft stout kick in the end. Cheers!

13. goodonezach

how much cacao nibs do you use in secondary? and do you actually use cocoa powder as well, or did i read that wrong?

14. In a previous batch I tried powder, wasn't a fan. I used 4 oz. of Cacao nibs, and that worked well in conjunction with my recipe. Hope that helps!

goodonezach likes this.
  15. oldschool9

I ended up using 4 oz of cacao nibs in the secondary, and 1/2 oz of mint extract at the time of bottling. I have already went through roughly a case of it. People have been requesting it at the ugly sweatshirt parties, but I'm trying to save some for the holidays. Thanks for all the help, and if anyone needs more input let me know! Cheers!

16. Very welcome. I actually just dry minted my second batch with 4 oz. of organic mint leaves....Can't wait.

17. Hey guys what would be the difference and quantity ratio if using dark chocolate vs cacao nibs?

18. goodonezach

you don't want to use any chocolate that has any sort of oils or fats in it, as this will screw up your beer in a number of ways. if you can't get your hands on nibs you'd be better off with cocoa powder

19. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Nibs have a lot of fat in them. Like 40-50%.

20. But a small quantity of 75% dark chcolate in the boil can't mess it up so bad?

21. goodonezach

22. goodonezach

well i've heard of people getting really good results with nibs, so should i not worry about fat?

23. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

I think fat in the beer is just a tradeoff when using nibs. If I wanted great head retention, for example, I probably wouldn't add chocolate in any form.