1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tipsy Turkeys? NH Birds Fed Beer for Flavor

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

tsauce2 likes this.
  2. If he's serving them macro swill , I say charge him with cruelty to animals! Give those turkeys something like Ruination and see if the hop flaver and aroma comes through. (he started giving them Coors and later changed to lager?!! WTH?)
  3. Is that legal?
  4. brywhite

brywhite Savant (320) California Aug 27, 2009

I can't help wondering if some kind of Ale brewed with Cranberries would be delish.
  5. Utopias watered turkeys for the win.
    4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  6. JrGtr

JrGtr Savant (365) Massachusetts Apr 13, 2006

Sounds great - wouldn't mind trying them myself. I do wonder how that works with gluten allergies - does that stuff come through in the meat?
    My sister-in-law is highly intolerant to gluten (not quite allergic, but she gets a big reaction to small amounts) so we have to be careful when cooking holiday meals to make sure at least the main dishes don't have any.
  7. So the farmer says that he first fed them Coors but now feeds them "lager?" What the hell does that even mean?
  8. I heard SA Cranberry Lambic is wicked good.
    ThatFatBeerGuy likes this.
  9. Gordon Ramsey raised a pig on beer to try to enhance it's flavor. Turkey seems a bit easier.
    PaulyB83 likes this.
  10. Guessing drunk turkeys are easier to catch also:D.
    Uniobrew31 likes this.
  11. Touchdown! The world now has a practical use for Coors!:D

(Although I cant imagine beer so closely related to actual water could affect the flavor in any noticable way.)
    kwakwhore likes this.
  12. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Savant (315) Washington Oct 31, 2012

I support this practice...
  13. Dude, I don't know why this is so confusing! Even the "expert" was skeptical.

Just like with cows, feeding turkeys beer fattens them up. More fat = juicier bird. Conundrum solved!

Edit: Also, no, the flavor of the beer would not come through to the bird's flesh. Just the added fat content.
  14. tsauce2

tsauce2 Savant (440) Indiana Oct 12, 2011

It's like marinating the turkey while it's still alive. Love it! And if the poor bastards are going to end up dinner on our plates, why shouldn't they get to put back a few beforehand?
    RummyRedbeard and Spikester like this.
  15. How very humanitarian of you!;)
  16. chuckycheese

chuckycheese Aficionado (170) Maine Feb 18, 2010

similar idea
  17. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

I think he used a cherry lambic, would have loved to try them chops.
  18. oldedog

oldedog Savant (310) Connecticut Oct 23, 2012

If it works that so cool not to mention funny
  19. Leave free or Die. I love my state!
  20. yeungling