1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tired Hands. 8 beers in BA Top 100 new beers.

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by HokiesandBeer, Feb 5, 2013.

1. http://beeradvocate.com/lists/new

#18 The Light That Spills Out Of The Hole In Your Head
    #25 Handfarm
    #54 Nigel
    #77 Zombie
    #79 Weedeater
    #87 California Uber Helles
    #90 Flavor Aroma
    #92 Sea of Green
  2. I cant believe Weedeater is above sea of green or flavoraroma. But thats just me lol.
  3. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

So, you're saying as someone who lives in SEPA that I need to check this out then, yes?
    RobertColianni likes this.
  4. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

It's interesting that most of those are their more aggressive offerings. I think their true talent lies in the more balanced and delicate beers, but that list is pretty much all hoppy.
    Thorpe429 and ThoreauLikeAGirl like this.
  5. slander

slander Site Editor (580) New York Nov 5, 2001 Staff Member

Really?
    All the hoppy beers made the list with this cast of characters, we?
    Shocker...
  6. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

I didn't say I was surprised...
  7. Yes, you really have no excuse.
    Squidly and RobertColianni like this.
  8. I was in Ardmore last week and stopped by Tired Hands for the first time and I totally agree with you. Tired Hands is taking brewing in a new direction.
    RobertColianni and Thorpe429 like this.
  9. Had them all!
  10. wagenvolks

wagenvolks Advocate (655) Texas Sep 23, 2005

Just had HopHands this past weekend. Very clean grain bill, super easy drinking. Lovely hop flavor & aroma. About to tear into a growler of The Light...
    Thorpe429 likes this.
  11. All the beer I've had was fantastic and I had with high expectations which really says something about the quality they have.

They just need to open early on saturday and possibly a weekday. I want to drive out before it gets dark and before the afternoon rush hour starts.
    Squidly likes this.
  12. Not a fan of the hours either. My only issue I have with them is their growlers. Got one filled on a Friday night. Went to drink it Saturday afternoon and it had already lost a lot of it's carbonation. Excellent beers though.
    Centennial likes this.
  13. gregkoko

gregkoko Aficionado (235) New York Mar 12, 2010

I've noticed this as well. Have opened a number of growlers and all have lost a lot of carbonation.
  14. Bring your own swing top growler, problem solved!
    Squidly likes this.
  15. paging CallMeMickey, CallMeMickey you're needed in aisle 5...
  16. Have you asked for them to CO2 purge before filling?
  17. nope... the first couple growler fills i got from them were swing tops. and had issues after a day.
    *edit: some were purged.
  18. Their Growler business seems to be a large part of their sales yet they suck and only last 1 day and even then the beer is degraded a lot.

They should really work to get that in order because I have all but stopped getting growlers from them unless I plan to drink them that night. I dont like spending 20 bucks on 5 beers and them being flat the next evening.
    cfrances33 likes this.
  19. Sadly, I am missing four of the smaller batch ones: Fripp, Tactile, Mon Mec, and regular Domo !
  20. raveskdr

raveskdr Savant (355) Virginia Oct 10, 2009

Terrible. GET OUT!
  21. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

i haven't been, but the growler of Light That Spills... i got was really subpar. not flat, just not a good beer. i've been informed that on tap, that's not true.
  22. I have to say, I'm a huge fan of Tired Hands and I just don't understand the love for the Light That Spills. I found it be a pretty average pale ale; certainly not bad, but no where near the best of what Tired Hands has produced.
    Centennial likes this.
  23. Judging any TH beer by how it is on growler is almost doing them a disservice. They are so much better on tap than out of the growler its almost criminal.

Light that spills just happened to be "the" hoppy beer on tap during the bottle release so it got a lot of exposure all in one day. While I thought it was good it was not their best hoppy offering by any means.
    mdillon86 likes this.
  24. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

i really enjoyed pretty much all of these, but out of 8 beers, how is Hop Hands not on this list? they've made a ton of really tasty beer so far, but that's really the one they continue to produce week in and week out with the same high level of quality/execution/etc. i love the single-batch stuff, although i still find myself ordering a pint of Hop Hands during every visit.
    BufordTjustice, SPRichard and kylep3 like this.
  25. SPRichard

SPRichard Savant (490) New Jersey Apr 26, 2008

Rarer = better around these parts
    cracker and warriorsoul like this.
  26. Thorpe429

Thorpe429 Champion (885) Illinois Aug 18, 2008

Tired Hands is ridiculously good. It's 3 hours from me, but I still try to get every chance that I get. Now if only I could meet callmemickey there everyday...
    callmemickey likes this.
  27. Purged would not affect carbonation, only oxidation. I don't know, check your gasket? I've never had beers go flat in mine, even after a few weeks.
    warriorsoul likes this.
  28. These are "new" beers, so beers six months old max, my guess is that Hop Hands is older than six months?
  29. I think this has become too common of an occurrence for it to be anything but operator (Tired Hands) error. I'm not saying this detracts from my opinion of their product, it's phenomenal. They just need to figure out how to fix this problem.
  30. i've had it both ways; i have opened a growler the night after filling and the carbonation won't last 24hrs after opening. but i've sent growlers to trade partners and it was plenty carbonated 2 weeks later! i'm sure it was consumed in one sitting, though. that's why i have all but abandoned my TH 2L growlers. i'll only get 1L growlers filled... even filling two 1L growlers of the same thing... since i cannot polish a half gallon by myself in one sitting. i can EASILY kill 1L of hophands in one night, though.

i think the key is to drink the whole growler the night it's opened.
  31. This is some BS right here. Tell that to the hundreds that have given Jean's beers glowing reviews from growlers consumed outside of PA.
    If filled correctly, there should be no issues.
    brystmar, gpcollen1 and HokiesandBeer like this.
  32. Exactly, when you're that small of a brewery and you basically don't bottle your beers then a large portion of your sales will be growlers. Personally I know it's the only way for me to introduce Tired Hands to many of my friends. If anything when discussing a place like Tired Hands growlers are even more crucial. You would think that if you put as much effort as they did with their beers they'd put more effort into how their beers are introduced to the public outside their tiny building.
  33. It's very fixable, they just need to use plastic tubing to bottom fill the growlers, and stop cutting down the flow rate while pouring.
    callmemickey and cracker like this.
  34. Agreed, it's an easy fix which is why I find it so surprising that they haven't figured it out yet?
  35. No idea, hopefully not just because its easier to train staff to fill it the way they do.
    HokiesandBeer likes this.
  36. I agree as well. I've had a couple of growlers that were flat only a day or two after filling. Using a tube/filler would go a long way IMO to preserving the carbonation longer. I've used this technique with my homebrew and have had growlers last several months. Last time I had my growler filled there the bartender stopped the flow in the middle of filling my growler to serve someone else a pint of the same beer.
    cracker and HokiesandBeer like this.
  37. I wouldn't be shocked if they get a counter pressure growler-fill system eventually. They sell so many of them that I would think it's a no-brainer once they build some capital.
    HokiesandBeer likes this.
  38. I remember getting a growler of brothers with my flip top and it being flat a few days later, which was incredibly disappointing. I do agree, they need to use the plastic tubing that other places such as Whole Foods and the Hulmeville inn uses. You would think that if they're charging a decent amount for a fill, they'd fill it the right way and not half ass it.
    cracker and HokiesandBeer like this.
  39. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

You need to have the Magick Man do your growler fills :)
    Squidly and TheBetterLiar like this.
  40. cracker

cracker Savant (395) Pennsylvania May 2, 2004

I've bought a few growlers from them and each one was borderline flat. The reasons are likely many. One thing I've noticed the few times I've been there is many of their beers are lightly carbed to begin with which doesn't help. FWIW, I have a swing top growler and have no issues when filling it with my homebrew taps.