1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tired Hands bottle release tomorrow

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by SickOfTebow, Apr 7, 2013.

1. SickOfTebow

SickOfTebow Zealot (85) Virginia Apr 24, 2010

I've seen chatter on other sites/boards about this release, sounds like it's going to be well-attended, per usual. Any guesses on what time you have to show up to get each of the bottles that will be sold (Light that spills, 60 counter pressure filled growlers available and Artisnale, 150, give or take, bottles)?

I'm thinking 10 AM for the Light, maybe noon for the Artisnale?
  2. Lol
  3. I showed up at 2:30 for the first release and got my HandFarm without a problem. For the second release, I got there at 2:00, which got me the Guillemot Nebula... but not the Prunus, which had just run out (so there were about 150 in line before me). Good news / bad news is that the weather will be a lot nicer today than it was for either of those releases! I'm skipping today's release & have a feeling many others may, too - Artisnale was the only beer from TH that I haven't liked & the counter pressure filled growlers seem like they'll be really popular with the iso/ft crowd, but I'll wait until later this week to buy a regular one over the bar.

Note to some budding entrepreneur... drive your food truck down Ardmore Ave around 3:00 today. Make some friends and some quick cash!
  4. stmgl01

stmgl01 Savant (260) Pennsylvania Dec 11, 2007

Don't wait too long if you want to get TLTSOOTHIYH! If the release is crowded today I think they will sell through A LOT of that beer. Chances are it wouldn't last through to next weekend.
  5. NJOssie

NJOssie Savant (265) New Jersey Feb 28, 2012

Any chance of bottle shares?
  6. I don't believe the township approves of bottle shares. There haven't really been any at previous releases there.
  7. NJOssie

8. Jamming out at TH...

[​IMG]
  9. NJOssie

Great time all!
    stmgl01 and DaGrizz like this.
  10. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Savant (250) New Jersey Feb 22, 2012

Thanks for the good times everyone and ANOTHER smooth release ran by Tired Hands. The bread, bacon (candied) and band were excellent....
  11. stmgl01

We had a great time playing music for everybody in line! Hope to see you all again sometime!
    Squidly, Lurkerson, Retail1LO and 3 others like this.
  12. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I don't know if it's a township or state thing but I believe you're not supposed to do bottle shares at a place that sells alcohol. At least that's what I remember Philly Beer Scene saying something to that affect for one of their bottles shares hence why they started doing them at BYOBs.
  13. chcfan

chcfan Advocate (525) California Oct 29, 2008

A bottle share in line would be violating state open container laws. I think it's a stupid law, but that doesn't change the fact that a cop could roll up and start handing out misdemeanors if people were having one. I could see why a brewery wouldn't want that to happen at a release.
  14. I enjoyed the bread and candied bacon more than the beer when I was there a few weeks ago!
  15. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

for the Voodoo release 2-3 weeks ago they said they worked with the towns PD and encouraged a bottle share in the street; just couldn't bring in outside bottles into Voodoo
  16. And the Ardmore police station is just a few blocks away...
  17. open container laws are not state-wide. they are up to each municipality. for instance, the city of meadville does not have an open container law, but the surrounding townships do. that being said, we are the exception.
    ThoreauLikeAGirl likes this.
  18. Curious how the release was this time around. Did people get shut out? People kept asking me for advice prior to the release and I had no idea what this one would be like, so I just tried to compare it to the last releases, ie shitshows haha.
  19. People were not shut out... many MANY people got multiple bottles.
  20. interesting. i wonder if the hype has died down, people didn't care enough about this beer, or they were just too scared about the past releases that they thought going wasn't worth it.
  21. It wasn't a barrel-aged saison, so apparently no one cared. I showed up at 4:05 to fill a growler, and got a bottle just for shits and giggles.
    ThoreauLikeAGirl likes this.
  22. stmgl01

Its the first beer they've released in bottles that was already on tap at the brewery. That probably contributes to the turnout more than anything.
  23. apparently it's a way different beer now post-bottle conditioning. people keep saying sour cherry and dark fruits and stuff. there was nothing like that in the beer on draft. tasted like a full bodied oyster stout on draft.
  24. nfo

nfo Aficionado (175) Pennsylvania Jun 4, 2005

I showed up a bit later, thinking I could get a bottle if it was not an immediate sellout, but they were all gone. If people got multiples... well, dammit. That would explain seeing some people walk off with cases (though some people were probably getting multiple growlers of The Light That Spills).
  25. A lot of the "cases" walking out were people that just took empty boxes for carrying their/their mules' stuff.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  26. There were alot of new faces there yesterday. Plenty of people I've never seen before at Tired Hands (or any of the other quality brewpubs/beer bars in the area). TH is the new trade bait in the area, that's for sure.
    Retail1LO likes this.
  27. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

Looking for a tired hands light spills shirt in a medium if they are any left. Would PayPal or set up a trade
  28. We cracked one of the bottles of Artisnale once we sat down inside, and the beer tasted absolutely nothing like it did on tap. It's completely different. Those that said anything about tart cherry pretty much covered it. It doesn't even come across as a stout. Pleasant surprise. Wouldn't mind them brewing this one again if it's going to turn out like this when bottled. They had tons of t-shirts left well after everything else sold out...but that's primarily because they believe everyone that walks through the door there is a S, M, or L.

Also, had some of the wine barrel aged Only Void, and that beer's tremendous. Looking forward to that release next month.
  29. How long do you think that the counter pressure filled growlers will hold?
  30. Longer than a co2 purged or non-co2 purged growler, but its still a delicate ipa. Drink as soon as you can.
    Retail1LO and TheBetterLiar like this.
  31. I was there when they opened, but didnt bother getting in the line. I went downstairs around 4:15 and the line was down to 5 people, they let the 5 of us buy multiple bottles(2). There was only 8-12 bottles left after I got mine. I havent cracked the bottle yet, but I'm very excited after hearing these descriptions. I liked it on tap, but wasnt blown away
  32. Friend was down there a little afterwards, none left....though i had Light, i destroyed that growler!
  33. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

Is the ability to counterpressure fill the growlers a one-time thing? I didn't think they could do that.
  34. They said on their Facebook that whatever they're using to counter pressure fill the growlers they've had for some time, it's just the first time they've used it for growlers. They also commented they will not be doing counter pressure fills after the event.
    theGlasstronaut likes this.
  35. How involved is doing a counter pressure fill on a growler? Specifically...does it take longer to fill a growler via that method? I'm unfamiliar with the process.
  36. Not really that hard. I'm assuming they don't have a counter pressure station, which seems obvious. They're probably using a stand alone counter pressure filler. Hell, you can make one yourself.
  37. stmgl01

I believe this is the case. A stand alone filler in the cold box. Not really convenient to serving customers since its tucked away in the basement, perhaps why they're not too keen on offering it all the time.