1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tivoli Helles...brewed and bottled by Hall Brewing?

Discussion in 'US - Mountain' started by Domingo, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Domingo

Domingo Champion (945) Colorado Apr 23, 2005

That's what the new 22oz bottles say. Does anyone know if Bill/Prost is still involved? I know they don't have a bottling line, but is this the same beer?
  2. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (910) Colorado May 19, 2005

Not sure. Haven't seen on tap at Prost in a while. Tivoli has their own distribution so I wonder if there was a legal thing involved
  3. Domingo

I don't think it tastes the same...but it isn't bad. It's lighter in body I think.
  4. Mebuzzard

5. Ever since I tasted Hall's Saison Lager - probably the worst beer I've ever had - I steer clear of their brews.
  6. Domingo

The rare Shikes appearance - thanks!

Anywhoo, the beer was okay. It might be using the same or a similar recipe, but it's not the same. Maybe it's the lack of decoction, maybe it's a different beer, I dunno.
    That said, it wasn't bad...just not the one I love. It was sweet, but missing that bready note that reminds me of Munich.
  7. I'm gonna pick some up, but I've gotta say that the Tivoli I had on tap at Club 404 a couple weeks ago was VERY good, really, possibly, the light summer beer discovery of 2013 for me, and I do not understand splitting up production in this way, having had a Hall product myself that, while not the worst beer I ever had (it wasn't the "saison lager" referenced above by MighHighBrewer), it wasn't, specifically, too good.
  8. Mebuzzard

The bottle version is being recalled. Will be revamped and released again in 2 weeks or so
  9. Domingo

Any idea why? If anything it probably tasted closed to Tivoli's macro lager roots more than Bill's 100% legit Munich helles.
  10. jedwards

jedwards Savant (330) California Feb 3, 2009

Interesting. Tried this on Saturday (on tap) for the first time after being told the story by our bartender and rather enjoyed it. Would be nice to be able to pick some up for grilling/poolside if they get the packaged quality on par... though I'd much rather have a beer like this in tallboys.
  11. dauss

dauss Advocate (565) Colorado Aug 9, 2003

Prost doesn't have a bottling line. Probably not the best to have two different breweries putting the beer in two different packages, but I can't think of a better way.
  12. joshclauss

joshclauss Savant (305) Colorado Oct 31, 2010

Anyone have a bottle to spare? The beer need in me wants to play "guess the flaw."
  13. Domingo

Not sure how widespread this recall was, but Chambers still has it on the shelf. I saw it while on a Rumble hunt this afternoon. Funny enough, I'm getting an error when trying to go to their website. Maybe they'll explain what's up.
  14. Mebuzzard

Rumble should be this week. Not sure if they'll sixer-up the Titan w/ Dill, though
  15. Domingo

I was under the impression they had simply partnered to make some pickles using Titan...not a dill version of the beer. I'll be at GD on Thursday, so I suppose I'll find out.
    Any news on what the Tivoli recall is all about?
  16. MYJELLOMISFIT

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

It's probably that damned "Farmhouse" yeast all over at Hall. Seems they can't brew anything other than "Farmhouse" style beers.
  17. Mebuzzard

Oh, yeah...but c'mon....dill IPA. You'd love it ;)

Tivoli bottles "didn't meet Tivoli standards". Not sure if the recall was an actual recall (as in they go out and collect all unsold bottles) or a cease in production.
  18. Domingo

Very interesting. I'd say the beer looked the part as it was a nice golden color - but it tasted much lighter in body and was more fizzy than foamy. It was along the lines of Full Sail's Session or maybe even like Ska's Mexican Logger. We downed ours on the 4th and were disappointed, but not disgusted or anything.
  19. sheesh I think I'd have Mobile Canning come over to Prost & put it in 12 oz or 16 oz cans. Or do what Chad does. But I haven't had a bottle yet. This recall news plus Domingo's take, doesn't give me the warm fuzzies though.
  20. joshclauss

I'm not sure that going with a different, relatively new 3rd-party packaging company is going to make them feel 100% confident given this experience.
  21. Well it's their beer I guess. I think I might have felt less than "100% confident given this experience" in staying with Hall, frankly.
  22. dauss

If I remember correctly from when Dank was contracted at Prost, the product cost of using the mobile canning was in excess of 90%.

Crooked Stave, he has foeders and barrels where he can do his value add. Beers are transferred into large containers from Prost and then pumped into his vessels.

Tivoli doesn't have any tanks or equipment related to beer production. I also don't think they have a brewer or someone who is knowledgeable in brewing.

I was thinking that if a brewery like Left Hand did the brewing for Tivoli, it would be a lot easier because they have so many packaging options.
    Domingo likes this.
  23. joshclauss

I hope they're looking for this kind of solution. I do want a packaged version of this beer, but it would suck pretty bad to have yet another packaged beer that's not close to the draft version. Left Hand also has a history of making good lager beers with Polestar winning some GABF medals, so they might be a really nice fit.
  24. Domingo

Not sure how many of their roots remain, but Left Hand bought Tabernash Brewing back in the late 90's. Tabernash was a German-centric brewery run by a Weihenstephan grad, Eric Warner. Several of LH's recipes like Polestar, Oktoberfest, and Haystack came from Tabernash. I might be imagining things, but I think Bill Eye has ties to Tabernash as well.

I would be more than happy if they were involved.
  25. dauss

Bill Eye brewed at Tabernash back in the day.
  26. all good points. The number I've heard (and it would have been from a 7 bbl run, a much smaller smaller run than Prost would have done for Dank, so it might be higher than D&D paid for Dank--a great beer btw IMO) is 60 cents per 16 oz can; at ~ 10 cases of 6 4 pks per bbl, thats ~$144 per bbl. It would probably be less per can for the 12 oz cans Dank was/is in but more cans per bbl, so I don't know, close to the same?
  27. dauss

I heard the beer wasn't bad, but the beer had very little carbonation.