1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

To Age or Not to Age?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by KevinStaley, Sep 28, 2013.

1. I just started my "cellar" a few months ago am curious as to which beers are ok or not in the best interest to age. I've got the Stones (Verticals and RIS and BWs) as well as some Firestone Reserve Series beers and and few others but am not sure about my Sierra Nevadas.I picked up 4 Sierra Nevada beers out of the Ovila series: belgian style golden, belgian style quad w/ plums, saison w mandarin oranges and peppercorns, and the abbey dubbel. Will these 4 be quality additions to my cellar to age or should I crack them open and enjoy them now?

2. dwduncan2

dwduncan2 Savant (270) Illinois Feb 8, 2012

I can't speak to these beers specifically, but quads can develope very well over time. The fruit and adjunct flavors will fade with time, but that may not be a bad thing. Like many others on here recommend, I would buy one to drink fresh and age another. There isn't much of a point to aging when you don't have a basis for comparison.

brureview likes this.
  3. prdstmnky

prdstmnky Savant (420) Vermont Jan 8, 2010

It makes little sense to throw a beer in the cellar that you haven't yet tried, imo. There are exceptions (something that is known to be extremely hot comes to mind). You will quickly find that there are many beers you drink from your cellar, that you actually preferred fresh (or within a year), as well as finding those few gems that you really like better with a few extra years on them. I mean that is the point of keeping a cellar (or having a fridge), right? The ability to drink any beer you like, at its peak for your own taste buds?

4. Makes sense! Thanks guys. My mentality was just throw them in the cellar to get the process starting and take my chances on finding more along the way to drink fresh. I am just now getting out of the mindset of drink NOW NOW NOW and am looking forward to storing beers for extended periods of time! Im gonna try and find these again to drink fresh!

5. Don't abandon the "now now now" mentality, but aging is a fun process when you have the stock to do it. Generally if the ABV is around 10% you can cellar pretty successfully. Below that and things like bottle conditioning become important if you want positive results. Rarely do saisons age well (unless bottle conditioned).