to bottle or secondary?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by ororke5000, Mar 10, 2012.

1. ororke5000

ororke5000 Aficionado (130) Ohio Dec 16, 2008

so i am planing on bottling a batch of beer, that shoulda been bottled a month ago (but that is not that important). while im bottling today i have another batch of beer, a Imp IBA (at least that is what im calling it) that has been in primary for about a month. it started at 1.094 and is now ~1.020 and was wondering should i just bottle this one also, or should i rack it into secondary for a month or so? what would you guys do?

2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

I would bottle it, personally.

3. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Savant (465) Utah May 2, 2006

Agreed.

4. coronajm

coronajm Aficionado (240) Ohio Jan 4, 2010

Assuming IBA is india black ale, I would probably want to dry hop that bad boy, in which case I would say secondary for another ~10 days. If not then go ahead and bottle it.

5. I would rack into secondary. Let it mellow out anyway.

6. ororke5000

ororke5000 Aficionado (130) Ohio Dec 16, 2008

thanks for all the input, i went ahead and put it in the bottle, i could not wait, it was tasting too good. not nearly as hot or boozy as i thought it might have had been. when i said IBA i was thinking India Brown Ale, but upon taking a look at in the glass, its real dark, brown black. More like a brown porter, if such a style exists. i'm really pleased with it and would be happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested.