1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

To disturb or not disturb the yeast, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mattitude13, Dec 27, 2012.

1. I'm fairly new to the wide world of craft beers, about a year or so, so am a little lost about these 'directions' I read on my bottles. I've bought many wheat and Euro ales claiming that the proper way to drink them is to pour half into a glass, swirl the bottle, then pour the remaining beer in with the rest trying to get as much yeast as possible. So that's what I've been doin. But since digging deeper into the beer world, I've had quite a few(such as the Ommegang Scythe & sickle I'm drinking now) claim that the goal is to get vigor for head, but keep all the yeast stuck to the bottom and not in your glass. Ommegang and others I've seen that say to pour this way seem to be Belgian and German influenced, so why the completely opposite way of pouring? What is the reasoning for wanting the yeast from some brews, but not others who are closely related styles? Can anyone tell me what the difference or overall point of wanting yeast from one and not the others are?

DevilsCups likes this.
  2. DevilsCups

DevilsCups Savant (330) New York Mar 3, 2010

Yeast flavor I find to be complimentary to certain styles. Wittes, hefeweizens, certain other belgian styles are all a swirl and pour to me. For something like a bottle conditioned stout or hop-forward beer, I prefer to leave it all in the bottle.

cavedave, libbey, pinkgrenade and 2 others like this.
  3. Completely agree with DevilsCups.

DevilsCups likes this.
  4. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

5. So why does Ommegangs biere de garde call for leaving the yeast? It's neither stout like nor hoppy, but closer to any Belgian or German brew. Says Belgian inspired right below saying not to get yeast in your glass. What gives? Is it just that its American with a Belgian style and not a traditional Belgian yeast or something?

6. kingmaker

kingmaker Savant (300) Louisiana Nov 20, 2012

I enjoy the beer without the yeast, then disturb and pour it in after a few minutes. I enjoy the taste swing and the taste itself after the yeast is back in suspension

7. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Yeast can give some off some off flavors, no matter what the style or whether it's american or traditional. To experience their beer as they intended it to taste, they suggest not to stir up the yeast. It's up to you whether you want to take their recommendation into account.

I personally think the more floaties the better and i pour Ommegangs yeast in my cup (though this could be the reason i don't particularly like this brewery...)

Try one of their brews both ways and see which one you like better.

8. vickersspitfire

vickersspitfire Savant (410) Texas Dec 11, 2006

I try the first half of the beer without the yeast and the second half with the yeast, then I decide how I like that particular beer.

mborden and DrunkethWizard like this.
  9. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

^what he said

10. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (355) Kansas Sep 24, 2012

I just poured yeast at the bottom of my bottle of De Struise Tsjeeses into the glass at it really doesn't taste like much. Though now it smells exactly like bubblegum. :)

11. generally, wheat beers (witbier, weissbier/hefeweizen, weizenbock, berlinerweiss, gose) are the ones where you deliberately incorporate the yeast into, and which the brewers would want you to do so. also kellerbier and zwickel bier, and sometimes roggenbier, although these aren't very common here in the US. lambics are technically also also "wheat beers", but bottled gueuze in particular is customarily meant to be poured clear, leaving the sediment in the bottle. for 95% of other beers, unless it's stated somewhere on the bottle, the brewer will likely have intended for the beer to be poured leaving the sediment in the bottle. it can often drastically change the taste and mouthfeel. not necessarily worse, but usually not what the brewer intended.

in the end though, it's personal preference. just keep in mind that when sharing beers (like in a tasting group), once you swirl in the yeast, you can't go back...

cavedave likes this.
  12. It's your beer so suit yourself. For some styles it's the norm to pour the yeast for others it's not.
    Many brewers of bottle conditioned ales actually filter the beer and reseed it with a variety of yeast which sticks to the bottle.These brewers clearly do NOT want to spoil their flavours with yeast.Other brewers simply give pouring instructions on the label. In general except for a few styles the yeast is better left in the bottle.

13. I always stir and pour.

14. Don't disturb until the end of the bottle.

15. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Except for hefeweissen, I leave the yeast with an inch of beer, swirl it in the bottle after finishing my glass, and down it as a shot of vitamin rich slurry. Some yeasts taste better than others I have found.

16. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010