To Drink or To Trade?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by alysmith4, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Just curious if most traders drink their trade, or trade their trade for something else.

I'm just getting into it, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to not drink my trades. (Not sure how I'm going to build up a cellar that way though!)

2. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 9, 2011

Three easy steps:

Step 1: Trade Beer
    Step 2: Cellar Beer
    Step 3: Drink Beer With Friends

Repeat

3. JustXBeer

JustXBeer Savant (290) California Nov 29, 2012

FTFY
    1. Step 1: Buy 2 of Every Beer
    2. Step 2: Drink Beer with Friends
    3. Step 3: Cellar other beer or trade
    4. Step 4: Move on to next Beer
    Repeat

4. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

I trade by one rule! If I haven't tried it, it doesn't get traded!

Otherwise, the two bottle rule applies. One to drink or share and one to cellar or trade.

5. One easy step:

Don't trade.

6. Don't trade your trade!!! It's poor form.

Hopsycho, cosmicevan, ravot and 5 others like this.
  7. Only trade trades, don't drink them, they've probably been tampered with. Especially if there's tape around the cap..

8. Or waxed at home.

9. Lane1

Lane1 Aficionado (205) California Jan 10, 2011

I'm a 2-3 bottle person when it comes to stuff I think has value. 1 to drink, 1 to trade, and 1 to age. Just depends on the cost of the beer and how much I like it. Some of the bigger ones I'll try to get multiples of to hold onto for myself and trade to others. Like Churchills. Me and three other buddies went down and got a total of 8 between the 4 of us. We plan to trade away 4-5 of them....but definitely keep some for us to enjoy!

alysmith4 likes this.
  10. "Share bottles with friends. Friends are better then cellars."~ ChadQuest(RIP)

11. Especially waxed at home. There's no such things as bottle variation in beer either. If one bottle is different than the other, the trader did some shady stuff in every case.

12. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (705) New York Dec 2, 2009

never traded a trade.

cavedave likes this.
  13. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

You don't trade trades. That's the beer equivalent of regifting. Except in this case your mother in law is probably seeing you give it to your aunt.

I honestly drink local beers 98% of the time and drink trades with my friends and tasting group.

alysmith4 and cavedave like this.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I think one should always plan their trades so that the beers they send are not as valuable as the beers they receive, and plan so that the ones they receive are ones that will increase in value. This way one can play the trading game like one plays the stock market, and end up being able to realize a hefty net profit. Any trade beers one drinks along the way will screw with the bottom line, so I don't recommend doing that.

BigGene, whiskey, alysmith4 and 2 others like this.
  15. If I trade for one of something I is always to drink. If I trade for multiples it is always to drink. If after trying something that I got multiples of and it doesn't do it for me then I will consider trading it.

alysmith4 likes this.
  16. I used to trade and realized there becomes a degree of diminishing returns, meaning when you consider time, money, and what I was giving up...I realized the beers I was trading away would have brought me the same (or more) enjoyment as the ones I received. I will admit, I've been very fortunate to have the access to the beers I have, and to try what I have tried. Perhaps I've just been spoiled.

I think it is a natural progression for a trader though, and eventually you become content with what you have access to. Classic cost/benefit.

17. I drink my trades in most cases. However, if I get multiples of something then I will usually give one to a trade partner if its a want. I have traded for a bottle of something a trade partner really wanted just so I can send to him as a means of paying him back for dropping an awesome box at my door. For example, I traded for 2 HF Twilight of the Idols. I sent one to a partner recently. Why? Because I want to share awesome beer and because I already have 1 to try and think hell appreciate it. I specifically traded for 2 so I can send him 1 bottle. Is it poor form? I don't think so. Trading extras is poor form IMO.

alysmith4 likes this.
  18. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Savant (445) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013

This is my motto as well. Doesn't make sense to trade beer you haven't had yet. I'm not saying this is the only way, just my way.

alysmith4 likes this.
  19. Isn't this the truth. After a while of paying huge amounts in shipping cost and haggling over perceived value and what not, you come to realize that the stuff you have in front of you is just as good, if not better because you don't have to go out of your way to get it, than what you could get in the mail.

I love bottle shares for the sole fact that everyone brings out their big hitters, most of which are traded beers to wag around that beer-penis points. It allows me a taste of something I didn't have to fight hard for.

alysmith4 and bryanole27 like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

If I go through the trouble of trading for something I am drinking it. And if I get an extra I've already had or something it is going to friends.

Pahn and alysmith4 like this.
  21. I rarely trade beer, but when I do I trade for something I want to drink.

Pahn and alysmith4 like this.
  22. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

I only trade beers because I'm an addict :( ....... their i finally said it to the world!

i trade for beers to drink
    i trade beers because of the interaction
    I trade beers because that's what all the cool kids are doing
    I trade beers because it's fun and I like to try stuff from different areas
    I trade beers because I have nothing better to do and like losing money ;)
    I trade beers because I like sending out ridiculously large boxes :)
    I trade beers because I like being tied up and held hostage for off the shelf beers
    but mostly the tied up part ;)

I trade beers because that is what the voices in my head tell me to and i am Freaking funny and Damn it people like me or my alter ego woodchipper

want to trade?

:)

23. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (255) Colorado Oct 18, 2009

!!!!THIS!!!!

(When is the last time I told you how much I love you?)

xxcarpxx and woodchopper like this.
  24. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

last night when you tucked me in..... :(

25. BUNZILLA

BUNZILLA Champion (770) Indiana Jan 14, 2011

Has anyone ever tucked a bottle they just got under their pillow for a couple nights before drinking ?

strangebrew321 and woodchopper like this.