1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

To dry hop or not to dry hop (Belgian)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JAramini, Jan 19, 2013.

1. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

I was going to make a saison, but upon finding out how warm the saison yeasts needed to ferment, I went a slightly different direction.

I don't known if it's a Belgian IPA or a Belgian Strong Golden. Or, hell, maybe it'll taste like a hoppy saison.

Anyway, the recipe is 2/3rds Light Pils, 1/3 Golden, hopped with saaz and Sorachi, fermented with Wyeast Belgian Ardennes.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1673945

I was thinking of throwing some Nelson in as a dry hop, but I'm not sure if I should or not - maybe after it ferments a little longer I could taste it when I check the gravity and see if I want more aroma. But, anyway, your thoughts?
  2. nedvalton

nedvalton Aficionado (150) Alabama Dec 29, 2012

What size batch? What were your hop additions amount/time?
  3. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

I'd add the dry hops. Mixing Nelson Sauvin's aroma character with Sorachi Ace sounds like a solid idea.
  4. ryane

ryane Savant (320) Washington Nov 21, 2007

I wouldnt use the nelson in this beer, have you used S.Ace late in the boil before? I cant stand its flavor (lemon pledge), and I feel that adding the nelson would be a waste of a great hop
  5. a year ago, i made a belgian blonde/saison that was flame-outed with Sorachi Ace.
    it took 6-9 months before it was drinkable. the hoppiness was that nuts.
  6. JAramini

JAramini Savant (320) New York Jun 5, 2005

Nedvalton, I linked the recipe in my post.

Surprised sorachi is getting such hate here, didn't realize it was so disliked.
  7. nedvalton

nedvalton Aficionado (150) Alabama Dec 29, 2012

I see now. Sorry. Its not quite belgian ipa or golden strong. Dry hop i think it will be nice. I am not a fan of nelson but its a good hop to utilize.