1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

To my fellow lagers lovers: here's one to try...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Hello all, I was so excited about this new (new to me at least) beer that I tried last night, that I wanted to share my excitement with you all.

Jabby Brau from Jack's Abby. If you haven't tried it already, make every attempt to.

Simply awesome. This is everything I want out of a beer. First of all, it's low abv, so drinking multiple without getting my taste buds destroyed is possible. Second, it's crisp and dry just like I love a good lager to be. Third, it comes in a four pack of 16.9 oz bottles (better if it were a sixer, but in this 4 pack obsessed world, it's nice to see the bigger bottles).

Anyway, I love this beer and I hope those that love lagers as I do get a chance to try it. I am excited to see that this beer is made a mere hours drive from me. Hopefully I get to check out the brewery soon.

For those of you in the northeast with me today, enjoy the blizzard. And for those going to the extreme beer fest, don't forget to bring your Tonton (http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/TONTON.jpg)

Salute!

2. Try everything from them. They are phenomenal. Kiwi Rising is my favorite but Hoponius Union is right there too.

Stockfan42, Gatch and fmccormi like this.
  3. Both of those have been on my list, but I never see them on shelves. I will surely grab some if I come across them.

4. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

For Blizzard preparedness, the wife swung by Attleboro and picked up a 4 pack of Jabby and a 4 pack of Smoke and Dagger. The good news is S&D was bottled in Dec...the bad news is Jabby was bottled in July. The first time I had Jabby, I was underwhelmed but it was probably old too (same store)...anyhoo, fingers crossed.

What was your bottle date? Where'd you get it ?

5. RichD

RichD Advocate (640) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I have some Jabby Brau in the fridge. My girlfriend even likes it. The brewery had the freshest I'll ever have and it's awesome. The brewery is quite small, but the tasting room makes it worth it. Also Hoponius Union >>>. Especially when I had some day old bottled HU last Friday.

6. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (595) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Hoponious Union, Smoke & Dagger are favorites of mine. Saxonator was very nice. The Copper was an ok beer. Their Mom and Pop Pumpkin was the pick of the litter for pumpkin type brews IMHO. Missed Kiwi. A quirky brew that I really liked was Ginger and Juice. Jabby also enjoyable. They are doing some good things, for sure.

I don't think a little age hurts Smoke and Dagger.

I don't recall whether the Wines and More at Sockonosset Crossing carries Jacks or not. Yankee store in Swansea does, not sure about Attleboro. Julio's for sure, but that us a bit of a field trip.

7. I got it at Yankee in Attleboro as well. Damn man, you're right, mine was bottled in July as well. I didn't even see that date, it's so tiny. I still dig this beer, but now I really want to try it fresh.

8. Pegli

Good to hear actually...I got to make up to Framingham one of these days

9. Pegli

No Jack's in RI yet...

10. Jabby is tasty stuff. Loads of flavor packed into 4.5% abv.

11. Picking up a four pak of hoponius right now for this blizzard! Jabby brau is beautiful for sessions, and a four pak of it goes down like nothing but a breath of fresh air. I recommend jacks Abby's saxonator

12. This is a goal of mine. Just missed lashes this winter.

13. I would love to try Saxonator. I am a huge fan of Doppelbocks.

14. RichD

I've never had the regular Saxonator but the bourbon barrel Saxonator was incredible. I wish I could still get it.

15. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (560) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Their Leisure Time Lager that comes out in summer is great too!! Even better than Jabby imo.

16. Gatch

Gatch Savant (450) Massachusetts Nov 29, 2006

Seriously. Try everything you can from Jack's Abby. Everything!

Dools9 likes this.
  17. That's the plan. I wish I could get more!

18. Pegli

To stave off the early onset of cabin fever, I am drinking one now...a little sharp around the edges but very tasty and highly drinkable - it must be sublime on-tap.

19. RichD

It's definitely one of the best beers I've ever had on tap. No other straight lager can compare. Except for maybe Sam Adams but that's a different story.

20. What is a "straight lager?" Would you consider, say, Weihenstephaner Original and/or Augustiner Helles from the wooden barrel straight lagers?

21. RichD

I'd say so. To me, a straight lager is a lager with no frills. Meaning, Hoponius Union, while being a lager is not a straight lager in my mind. That's all. I probably made up my own term by calling Jabby Brau a "Straight Lager." It's not an adjunct by any means but there is no addition additives (such as coffee, or chocolate, or and added level of hops) that make it something different.

22. Pegli

Berkshire Czech Pilsner is a local "must try" on-tap

Providence likes this.
  23. So these Jack's Abby lagers are in a completely different class than those from Augustiner and Weihenstephan? Wow. Pretty bold claim.

24. RichD

I've had BBC's River Ale and Coffeehouse Porter on tap before and those are fantastic. I can only imagine how great their Czech Pilsner is. I'll keep this in mind the next time I go to a bar that has this on tap.

25. RichD

I've yet to have Augustiner and Weihenstephan's base lagers. I will say that Jabby brau is that good, though. It's definitely one of the top lagers in it's style.

EDIT: Sorry for the potential confusion.

26. Pegli

They are a completely different class indeed...they are not the gold standards of traditional Bavarian lagers ;)

27. What class would you say they fall into? Most lagers I've tried that fall into the "American ______ Lager" class(es) have been very disappointing. Still, I'm intrigued by this place in light of all the ebullient praise.

28. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I guess the reason I hate Jack Abby threads is be aid I don't love in Mass and I fucking love well made lagers.

29. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

How often would you expect to find fresh Weihenstephaner and/or Augustiner from the wooden barrel in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts?

30. I'd say about as infrequently as I find BAs who have the knowledge to make truly informed statements about world-class lagers.

31. Scott, you are like a moth to a flame! I would have thought your ‘traumatic’ experience with New Belgium Shift Pale Lager would have set you straight!?!

So, permit me to fill in the blank: American Pale Lager.

Below is the description from Jack’s Abby for Jabby Brau:

Jabby Brau
    Deep golden in color, this low ABV lager balances Pilsner and Munich malt with an aromatic American hop aroma. This beer starts hoppy but finishes unexpectedly malty with very low bitterness. Impressively flavorful and drinkable for the lightest beer we brew. We dub this beer a "Session Lager," as we once again brew a lager in a beer style of its own. Uses local Soft Red Winter Wheat from Four Star Farms.
    OG 11.5 Plato / IBUs 20 / ABV 4.5%

Are we really going to have to go through all of that New Belgium Shift Pale Lager stuff again!?!;)

Cheers!

Pegli likes this.
  32. Jack, I know you may find this hard to believe, but I truly want to find one of these that I like. I would love to have access to a number of truly world-class lagers here in the U.S. Luckily I have Olde Mecklenburg right up the road...and have been able to trade with SteveH for some New Glarus stuff. If I could combine a trip to New England with a visit to a world-class lager brewery, not only I -- but my wife as well -- would be extremely happy. So, the search continues....

33. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

Or as infrequently as you find stylish sunglasses?

34. bleakies

bleakies Savant (415) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2011

I hope you're able to sample some Jack's Abby lagers so you can return to this thread and go on about how they don't measure up to all those you enjoyed fresh from the wooden barrel during your time in Germany.

RichD and dachshunddude86 like this.
  35. Clearly you have never visited a bar after a visit to the optometrist ;)

PoopChute69 likes this.
  36. Easy now!

Clearly you may need to visit the optometrist, as I'm sitting outside in a beer garden in that picture. And you may not be the best person to be making fun of people's profile pics ;)

37. Pegli

I would say they are premium American lagers using local ingredients (i.e. American hops). Comparing them to traditional European lagers is unfair...a fairer comparison would be to Brooklyn Lager, Sam Adams' lagers, etc.

38. beer gar·den
    Noun
    A garden, typically one attached to a bar or tavern, where beer is served.

I would say my statement is valid unless you walked straight past the bar and weren't drinking, but that mug in front of you leads me to believe this is not the case

benjaminahudson likes this.
  39. RichD

So... about that Jabby Brau...

TheMonkfish, AdamP and herrburgess like this.
  40. Picture was taken here: Rittmayer's Keller in Franconia, Germany. A beer garden dug into the side of a hill. So, nope, no bar. Glad you like my mug, though!

[​IMG]