To my fellow lagers lovers: here's one to try...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Feb 8, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks. Was wondering if they'd fall into the same type of class as, say, some of the more Americanized lagers you see from New Glarus. Still intrigued....

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

“If I could combine a trip to New England with a visit to a world-class lager brewery …”

Scott, I think I understand your ‘desirement’ here but it seems to me that the challenge would be that you seem to have an extremely strong preference for traditional lagers (e.g., Munich Helles, Southern German Pilsner, etc.). It also seems to me that you are not a fan of the American Pale Lager style based upon your diatribe concerning New Belgium Shift Pale Lager. So, while Jack’s Abby may indeed be a “world-class lager brewery” it seems to me that the style of lager beer being brewed at Jack’s Abby is not consistent with your palate.

I have no way of predicting whether you wife would like the beers at Jack’s Abby Brewery. You made mention in past threads that she likes to drink Corona so I would guess that she might be more open minded about the idea of drinking a well made American Pale Lager?

Cheers!

3. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2012 Florida

What do you call that hole in the wall with a counter where all the people are buying beer from in the background?

4. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

Goodness, dude. That's the food window. I can post a pic of the cave-like little door where you pick up the beers and you can decide then if it's a bar or not if it will make you happy. I personally would be more than happy to move on.

5. Steimie

Steimie Maven (1,404) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Did they give you a free bowl of soup for buying those glasses?

6. dachshunddude86

dachshunddude86 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2012 Florida

Hey, that's like your opinion man. I was just wondering what the layout of a typical beer garden in Germany is. I have never visited Germany and clearly you have expansive experience in that particular area.

benjaminahudson and PoopChute69 like this.
  7. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

I certainly have that preference, but it doesn't prevent me from liking well-made lagers with some American "qualities." Matter of fact, I was just up at Olde Mecklenburg yesterday and their latest take on their Dunkel has a roastiness and earthy hoppiness that I would typically associate with American takes on the style; that beer stole the show for me...and this was at the first tapping of their Rauchbier!

8. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

“ …but it doesn't prevent me from liking well-made lagers with some American "qualities."

Call me a cynic but I will believe that when I see it!!!!

Cheers!

P.S. There is a world of difference from a Dunkel that isn’t brewed in the exact traditional ways of Germany and an American Pale Lager!!

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

“ …clearly you have expansive experience in that particular area.”

You have no idea how expansive!! It is almost as expansive as his ability to opine on this matter!!:wink:

Cheers!

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  10. herrburgess

Pooh-Bah Society

Believe it or not...I know what I like.

What irks me more is when a beer advertises itself as a German lager or a Czech lager and bears more resemblance to New Belgium Shift than to either of those styles.

Pegli likes this.
  11. JAXSON

JAXSON Maven (1,324) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Agreed - I had a few fresh bottles of that a few summers back, awesome.

12. highdesertdrinker

highdesertdrinker Pooh-Bah (2,492) Nov 5, 2012 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ya gotta love "The Empire Strikes Back!"

13. FosterJM

FosterJM Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

Mom and Pops Wet Hop Lager was the bees knees from them as well.
    Trade for a growler of Humulus lager from the Bruery as well.

Cheers!

afrokaze and Hugonaut13 like this.
  14. Pegli

Pegli Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

I think they're missing that "malt thing" that you (we) prefer...

herrburgess likes this.
  15. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

“Believe it or not...I know what I like.” There is absolutely no need to ‘educate’ me on that fact. As I have stated on numerous occasions (and likely will in the future): you indeed have exceptional tastes!

Cheers!

16. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,319) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

And Jack's Abby's lagers may well skew a bit too hoppy if your benchmark lagers are Bavarian.

Pegli likes this.
  17. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Hoptonius is great Kiwi is awesome. Not huge fan of S&D but smoked beer fans love it. Never tried but Fire in Ham is suppose to be extreme. I guess they finished Framinghammer Baltic porter. But they are placing it in barrels can't wait

18. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

Framinghammer available on tap at brewery though

19. amp138

amp138 Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2011 Rhode Island

Jack's needs to come to RI like whoa. Their Kiwi Rising was easily one of the best doubles I've ever had, lager or not.

IcemanCometh, Gatch and Providence like this.
  20. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Nah, Jack's Abby makes fine beers, but they're not the same as the lagers in Germany. When I can find Weihenstephan Original fresh it's a world class lager, and exactly what I think of when I think "lager." Jack's Abby pale lagers, especially their most popular beer Hoponious Union, are more like an IPA than a lager. They may use lager yeasts, but hops dominate, and Weihenstephan Original is most certainly not a hop-forward beer. Jabby Brau is less so, but still has much more hop flavor than you'd find in a typical Munich Helles for example.

I would say a good example is Prima Pils versus something such as EKU Pils. Prima is a great lager, but is hoppier than many pilsners.

acevenom, Pegli and herrburgess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.