1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

To my fellow lagers lovers: here's one to try...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Feb 8, 2013.

1. MA only.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  2. steveh

steveh Advocate (715) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

First, buy this book.

Next, actually go to Germany.

After that, visit the Englischer Garten in Munich (it's in the book). Their Biergarten are the best because you can start at one end and work your way to the next, hitting 4 different Garten along the way. You'll find that the majority of these stops are stand-alone kiosks with cafeteria-like service: walk thru the kiosk, ask for your beer, pay the cost and the deposit on the Krug, sit and enjoy.

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  3. steveh

steveh Advocate (715) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Thanks. So much for that.

4. Damn, that sounds good!

5. Meet me at Doherty's in Pawyucket next week and I will bring a couple bottles.

6. That sounds good man, I'll touch base with you during the week.

7. No problem, I head back to Boston on Friday so any other night.

Providence likes this.
  8. That was one of the coolest experiences in Germany. I wish Boston would replace one of it's 124 Irish pubs with some outdoor beer gardens for the summer, and indoor beer halls (thanks Harpoon!).

steveh and Providence like this.
  9. InebriatedJoker

InebriatedJoker Champion (810) Ohio Sep 16, 2010

Lagers are overrated

10. They just released a Rye Biere de Garde as their new seasonal. Looking forward to that one.

Providence likes this.
  11. Damn, I was thinking Friday, ha ha. Ok, let me check the schedule and I will let you know...

12. Tremendous weak sauce right here.

Pegli and InebriatedJoker like this.
  13. Hugonaut13

Hugonaut13 Advocate (710) Illinois Nov 29, 2012

I've never seen someone so butthurt over the fact that once again, 'Merica took something that Europe did well and made it better. We are back-to-back World War champs after all!

14. InebriatedJoker

mcrago likes this.
  15. America, or this one particular beer? I'd say that in the aggregate HerrBurgess is correct about the state of lagers over here.

Me, I'll reserve judgement on Jack's Abby until I can get some. I have no problem with the concept as long as the execution is well done.

17. InebriatedJoker

It all " Depends".

I personally dislike lagers. Those who apprriciate them more for you I guess they all taste like watered down corn syrup to me.

Cheers !

mcrago and Providence like this.
  18. If anyone is ever in the market for some Jack's Abby stuff, shoot me a message and I will gladly trade it out. It"s great stuff, hyper local (to me), and I love sharing local for local stuff. I might even be able to make a stop by the brewery on occasion for a fresh growler fill. I also make almost monthly trips to Narragansett, RI and would gladly bring some down for an IP swap thing on my way down.

19. All of them? What about aecht schlenkerla rauchbier? No way that tastes like water!

Embrace your inner lager lover. Do it!

20. Better? I'm not so sure about that. Jack's Abby certainly made pale lagers DIFFERENT by adding more hops. I really dig what they're doing by the way, I definitely enjoy their beers. But they didn't exactly reinvent the wheel (lager). They didn't make a wheel at all, they put wings on the car and now it flies. And who doesn't enjoy flying?

Pegli, tai4ji2x and jtdolla911 like this.
  21. “Jack's Abby certainly made pale lagers DIFFERENT by adding more hops. I really dig what they're doing by the way, I definitely enjoy their beers.”

Good to hear! That is great input!!

Cheers!!!!!!!!

22. Based on your quotation earlier, and from previous posts, I assume you dig hoppier lagers (like Jever)? If you haven't already, you should definitely check out Jack's Abby, they most certainly make some great beers. Ironically they still haven't made a pilsner. They're an all lager brewery with an extensive list of beers, so it is a bit surprising.

23. I would very much like to try Jack’s Abby American Pale Lager beers. You may already know this but in the BA American Pale Lager category, Hoponious Union is No. 1 and Jabby Brau is No. 2. I have not had a lot of beers that are of the American Pale Lager category but I did enjoy drinking:

· Brotherly Suds (BS2) which is rated No. 16
    · Bell’s Quinannan Falls

Cheers!

P.S. I do not know much about Jack’s Abby but I am not too surprised that they don’t brew a Pilsner. It seems to me that they are trying to do ‘different’ things there and I applaud their efforts to march to the beat of a different drummer!

24. Maibock Hurts Like Helles(Maibock/Helles Bock), Fire in the Ham(Rauchbier), Smoke and Dagger(Rauchbier), Saxonator(Doppelbock) and Copper Legend(Marzen) are there most traditional brews and are done to style. No Pilsner yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see one at some point.

25. Thanks for that reply! As I mentioned in my prior post: “I do not know much about Jack’s Abby …”

It appears that only Smoke and Dagger(Rauchbier) is the only year round beer of the five you listed, is that correct?

Since you seemed very well informed about Jack’s Abby, has there been any discussion about them distributing outside of Massachusetts? It is very challenging to appreciate the beers from a brewery that is only distributed in its home state.

Cheers!

26. Smoke and Dagger is the only year round of those listed. They recently expanded the brewhouse by 80% by adding 2 80 BBL tanks and one more 40 BBL tank, which will help them make more specialty beers like the upcoming collaborations with Lawson's and DC Brau. At this time no plans to distribute out of state except maybe some draft to other NE states, they can hardly meet the demand here.

27. Is Smoke and Dagger really a traditional Rauchbier? I'd call it more of a black lager/smoked porter hybrid.

Lashes was delicious (released last fall). It might be my favorite beer from them. The Baltic Porter should be out soon too.

28. It would appear that Jack’s Abby agrees with you:

“Smoke & Dagger
    Cloaked in mystery, this dark black beer skirts the line between a schwarzbier and smoked porter. The use of a small percentage of traditional Beechwood smoked malt adds complexity and balances the liberal use of chocolate malt. Notes of roasted grains, beechwood smoke, and coffee accompany a full bodied-and sweet chocolately malt character. Smoke & Dagger uses locally grown unmalted barley from MA.
    OG 14.5 Plato / IBUs 25 / ABV 5.8%”

I have to say that I salivated when I read this description! Jack’s Abby sounds like a very innovative brewery to me!!

Cheers!

29. commis

commis Savant (330) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2009

When I tell people about SnD, I generally call it a smoked Shwartzbier of sorts. It gets the point across.
    And I agree, Lashes might be my favorite. That or RIPLeffect.
    I'll add as well that I'm still buying Lashes and it's holding up miraculously. No that it hasn't faded a touch but it's really sturdy. I buy one on my way home from work 2-3 times a week. HU I find to make it five weeks before I start noticing any significant fade. Not sure when RIPL was released but it's really sturdy as well.

30. Wow! Lashes reads really tasty too!

“Lashes
    This hopbock lager balances an assertive Munich Malt character with an infusion of Super Styrian, Columbus, Palisades and Centennial hops. It's full-bodied and malty with a hop aroma that’s earthy and piney. Definitely an enjoyable beer for New England's cold winter days.
    OG 17 / IBUs 50 / Alc. 7.2% by Vol.”

That is an interesting combination of hops!!

Cheers!

31. Drive up to Framingham some Saturday afternoon and check out the brewery. They sell bottles and growlers. They always have some interesting brewery-only releases too. They just had a BA doppelbock, but I'm not sure what they have right now. Tastings are free.

Providence likes this.
  32. I agree Lashes can probably hold up for a bit. The nose on it is killer which is why I loved it so much. RIPL was probably made around September. I believe it says on the label.

33. It should say on ther label, the bottles sold as singles say on the label and the 4 packs say on the carton.

34. Which is one reason it's annoying that stores break up the 4-packs and sell bottles individually.

35. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

Smoke and Dagger is definitely not a traditional rauchbier and I wouldn't consider Copper Legend a world class traditional Marzen/Oktoberfest but that Jabby Brau sure did taste good after shoveling 5ft snowbanks all day !

36. I agree with that but I haven't seen Hoponius, Jabby Brau or Smoke and Dagger in singles lately.

37. “Smoke and Dagger is definitely not a traditional rauchbier and I wouldn't consider Copper Legend a world class traditional Marzen/Oktoberfest …” Please don’t confuse me with herrburgess; I love him like a brother but he and I have very different tastes in beers, he has what I term “exceptional taste” while I am very happy to drink tasty beers regardless of whether they are brewed in a “traditional” manner. That Smoke and Dagger sounds like a very, very tasty beer to me. I am 99.99% sure I would like it and the fact that it is not “traditional” makes no never mind to me!

“ ..that Jabby Brau sure did taste good …” I gotta tell you but the more I read (and hear) about Jack’s Abby beers the more I think they are a tasty brewery. If I ever make it to Massachusetts I plan on drinking as many Jack’s Abby beers as I can get my hands on!!

Cheers!

P.S. I hope that your back is feeling OK after the shoveling. It sounds like New England got walloped by Nemo (why they are naming winter storms is a mystery to me!).

38. Pegli

Pegli Savant (305) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

My tastes lean toward the expansive as well but I guess it says something that I going back to Jacks Abby. I'm drinking a Smoke and Dagger now and the description is spot on - Schwarzbier with a hint of rauchmalt...my favorite offering I've had (Jabby, Copper Legend, and Hoponius).

P.S. It's hard to tell with the drifts but we got in the ballpark of 20"...nothing a few pulls of Wild Cherry Brandy can't fix (which compliments the smoky S&D nicely BTW). If they're going to name storms it should be more like Winter Storm Odin, Ivan Drago, or something IMO...

Providence likes this.
  39. I think it's less common but was seen a lot when they first hit shelves. I found singles of HU at Social wine last night.

40. “Schwarzbier with a hint of rauchmalt”, that’s just gotta be tasty!

I recently homebrewed a Northern English Brown Ale which I augmented with 1 lb. of Weyermann Smoked Malt. Needless to say but this beer was no longer a “traditional” Northern English Brown Ale; my ‘answer’ to that is: so what!?! That Smoked Brown Ale was truly tasty! IMHO, that is what the appreciation of beer is all about: drinking tasty beer that you enjoy!

Cheers!

P.S. Scott, I used five exclamation marks, whatcha think about that!?! Oh, it is now seven exclamation marks.;)