1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

To my fellow lagers lovers: here's one to try...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Providence, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Having a Nugget Nectar poured over a Jabby Brau this fine afternoon. Here is a little blizzard aftermath:
    [​IMG]

JackHorzempa likes this.
  2. i feel hoponius should be listed as american double/imperial pilsner. it's really more similar to DFH my antonia and ST krampus than it is to others listed under "american pale lager"

3. FWIW, Kiwi Rising is categorized as an american double/imperial pilsner and it is No. 2:

“2 Kiwi Rising - Double IPL
    American Double / Imperial Pilsner / 8.50% ABV
    Jack's Abby Brewing”

Cheers!

4. Is this a half and half? I have both of these beers in my fridge right now.

5. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

I wonder how these East Coast American Lagers would compare to what we get in the Midwest. Against the likes of Schell's, New Glarus, and German beers, I have my doubts. Between Schell's Bock, New Glarus Yokel, and Wiehenstephaner Original, I don't see much room. (Not mentioning Hell, Smoke, Firebrick, Surlyfest, etc...)

6. smoke and dagger is better than surly smoke, imho. but it's also lower alc and more towards sessionability. the comparison can only go so far.

7. They don't, because Jack's Abby is different. They're brewing lagers, but many of their brews are more innovative than they are classic. Hoponious Union is a hoppy lager (an IPL is what they call it), Kiwi Rising is an Imperial IPL, their pumpkin beer is a pumpkin lager...etc.

8. Absolutely! It's incredibly good as a combo! Like a Jabby Brau with way more hops! ;D

9. morimech

morimech Advocate (710) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Schell's brews Emerald Rye which is a hoppy rye lager. I think you guys would like it.

10. Schell’s, Jack’s Abby, etc. It’s all good!

A semi-rhetorical question: Why does everything need to be a contest!?!

Schell’s makes good American Lagers, Jack’s Abby makes good American Pale Lagers, New Glarus makes good American Lagers, Weihenstephan makes good German lagers. Why not drink and appreciate all of these good lagers and thank the various brewery’s for making beer that is a joy to drink!?!

Cheers!

Pegli likes this.
  11. Pegli

Pegli Savant (315) Rhode Island Aug 30, 2006

Jack,
    It might be easier for you to appreciate all the lager innovation since you can, at any time, also pick up some fresh "traditional" lager styles from Victory, Sly Fox, etc. New England needs a local, well-rounded pilsner/helles for everyday drinking !

Prost,
    Pete

Providence likes this.

12. Pete,

I hear what you are saying. I am indeed very, very lucky that there are a number of SEPA craft breweries who make excellent Pilsners but also Helles as well. Sly Fox makes a very good Helles that I enjoy drinking as well as Manayunk Brewpub always has a tasty Helles on tap.

Hopefully one of your local breweries or brewpubs will heed the call and make a Pilsner/Helles for you guys.

Cheers!

Jack

Pegli likes this.