1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

To wax or not to wax....KBS experiment.

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by black13, Sep 19, 2013.

1. black13

black13 Savant (395) Oregon Apr 11, 2010

After seeing plenty of discussion about the benefits of waxing vs wasting time, I decided to test it myself. In 2010 I got some KBS. I waxed some and left the others as is. The past 2 nights it was time to find out which, if either, aged better. Well, the waxed bottle was much better. The coffee flavor was much more prominent and the bourbon was much better. All-in-all, the waxed bottle was simply better. Granted this was only a couple bottles, but both came to me at the same time, were from the same batch, and were stored identically. This may not always be the case, but waxing is easy and if it gives me a better beer, I'm gonna do it more.

claaark13, Lasering, brikelly and 8 others like this.
  2. bpasquini

bpasquini Savant (285) California Feb 26, 2013

Very interesting, I will have to try this

3. You could have just, like... drank them fresh.

4. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Good idea to completely seal the top. My dad did this with some of his collectible JD's, the one's that didn't were noticeably reduced in volume in a few years. The wax prevented evaporation thru the cap. I'll do this on bottles destine to age for a bit. Caps can only be so tight and they oxidize.

5. black13

I did that as well. My palate doesn't have great memory, but the waxed bottle was much closer to resembling the fresh bottles. Why did I do this? Cause some beers are well (Bourbon County) and I was curious to see if waxing had an effect or not. On my book it does and I'm not just relying on theories to back this up.

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  6. machalel

machalel Aficionado (205) Australia Jan 19, 2012

Did you do a blind tasting or did you know which was which?

7. Is there a certain wax you used or can I find it at any craft store ? The idea seems solid and I think I'll try on some bcbs and other BA stout .

Btw , reading this was pretty helpful.

8. Now do it with at least 80 bottles to ensure proper sample size.

stupac2, Ferocious, BrettHead and 5 others like this.
  9. deadonhisfeet likes this.
  10. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (600) Florida Apr 13, 2011

Doesn't waxing just slow down the aging process?

rc51sport likes this.
  11. According to the article, it provides a better seal, which minimizes the oxidation that'll take place.

12. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

If you were not blind to condition (i.e., whether you were drinking a waxed it non-waxed bottle) this experiment means very little. As much as we like to think we are objective, we simply are not and my guess is you had an expectation that wax served a benefit (otherwise you wouldn't have done it).

13. Yeah, I agree, i'd like to know if it was a blind tasting.

14. BlackNote

BlackNote Savant (345) Michigan Apr 5, 2013

Going to do this for some of the bottles that I plan to age longer than a year. It might not do anything, but feel it can't hurt and a low cost to try and protect the investment.

RyanCave likes this.
  15. Herky21

Herky21 Advocate (595) Iowa Aug 7, 2011

16. kdb150

kdb150 Savant (490) Pennsylvania Mar 8, 2012

But, oxidation is what ages the beer. So, if the idea is to keep the beer tasting fresh longer, than it's a good idea. However, if the idea is to cellar the beer in order to allow for aging to change the flavor, than waxing them is actually counter-productive.

jhillwastaken, rc51sport and stevegoz like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

So was this a blind test or not??

If not the result means nothing.

18. There redox reactions that will happen do to compounds in the beer, and the beer will age. The wax just keeps more O2 out than no wax.

BlackNote likes this.
  19. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

I wax any bottles I'm putting away for a while, and anything I'm sending out via trade. Its cheap and easy to do, and I think it looks nice too. I havent had anything waxed for over a year yet, so can't say much about overall effectiveness, but I view it as just another layer of protection.

Some people use melted glue sticks/crayons, but actual bottle wax is inexpensive and can be found at any homebrew store or online (like HERE)

[​IMG]

20. black13

Blinded? Yes.

Did I need to have it blinded? No.

There was such a marked difference between the bottles, it would be akin to comparing apple juice to hard cider. I realize there are many flaws in this highly scientific study, and I'm not sure if I have a significant P-value. But, I can assure you, there were no animals harmed in this study and the study participant (me) wasted no study materials (KBS).

I did this just for fun as I do wax a lot of my bottles and was curious to see if it really did anything. It doesn't take much time and does make the bottles look nice. Although the results of this 2 bottle experiment leads me to believe waxing does help a beer age better, there are many other variables at play and I'm sure they'll show up in this thread later.

swoopdog, machalel and ThirstyFace like this.
  21. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (310) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Looks like you have the technique down! They look great. Does one just use an old pot that they don't mind ruining and do this on the stove?

22. You can double boil in an aluminum can (like a cleaned out old soup can).

jhillwastaken and inchrisin like this.
  23. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I like this idea a lot. It also lets you get a good depth of wax without having to melt an entire bag of wax beads.

OddNotion likes this.
  24. kmello69

First time I tried it, I did double boiler, but that took a long time. Now I just put the wax beads into a cleaned out metal can (like from canned vegetables, etc.) and put directly over low gas flame on the stove. Takes 5-10 minutes for wax to be completely melted and ready.

Check out this Vine I made on it

swoopdog, jarrgal, claaark13 and 15 others like this.
  25. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (310) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Thanks guys! That's very helpful. So you don't even dip when it's on the burner? I assume with the direct method with the can, you can just let the excess cool and heat it back up when you have more to dip?

26. Sounds like it helps prevent aging, with more pronounced coffee and bourbon notes.

Aging, is intentional degradation of the beer, sometimes for better, most times for worse. Sounds like the waxing helped prevent that degradation from happening as rapidly.

Which brings me back to my original post in this thread...
    "You could have just, like... drank them fresh."

johnnyboy41783 and jmw like this.
  27. black13

Since I received several 4-packs, I chose to drink some when I got them, then age the others so I could enjoy other beers. Also, KBS isn't exactly a shelf beer (this can be debated I know) so to keep shipping costs down by not having to trade for the newest release every year, I chose to age what I had. I had nothing to lose so I waxed some and kept a couple without wax. In this case, the waxing helped age the beer (or as you pointed out, helped the beer retain it's original flavors). Some may not want to age bottles with wax as they don't like a beer that is hot. I prefer a beer with a good kick to it, so aging with wax works for me. It sounds like you have no need to wax as you're a "consume it as soon as I get it" kinda guy o_O. Different strokes for different folks.

28. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I guess in 2010 getting several four packs was possible....how times have changed.

kristougher likes this.

29. It's a worthy experiment, and the first i've seen of waxed vs. non-waxed.
    I now know if I were to happen upon a beer I'd want to save for a really special occasion, like a bottle of Rare for a wedding or something, I'd wax it, so I'd retain as much of the original flavor as possible.

But you're right, I am mostly a drink as soon as i get it kinda guy. Normally the only special occasion I need to open a great beer, is the occasion of opening that beer!

30. I don't think it prevents oxidation. It just slows it down, so the logic, according to the article is wax dipping is good for long term aging, but may not necessarily be ideal for short term (ie, ~1 year) aging.

31. kmello69

No, I dont dip on the burner. I take it off, let it cool about 3 minutes, and go to work. And yes, you can just let it get cold and harden, then use it again next time by topping off and re-heating again.

32. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

A) I bought KBS off the shelf in NC

2) was anyone else a part of this experiment, or is this just your palate?

33. black13

d) just my palate, so I trust the results 1000% :D

34. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

What I wondered. If it wasn't blind then I'm sure any perceived differences were all mental.

35. youradhere

youradhere Savant (460) Arkansas Feb 29, 2008

Alright, this guy checks out. Something about his eyes and body posture that tells me he operates on the level

36. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

people just want to exhibit their beer prowess, as evident to the number of people saying the same thing, knowing full well that someone before then said it already.

i appreciate your sharing and see the validity in it.

swoopdog likes this.
  37. These findings could also be proving the insane inconsistency of KBS. I would've used something more stable.

BrettHead likes this.
  38. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Savant (285) Iowa Apr 25, 2013

Yeah and make sure you do a total statistical analysis with minitab I expect tables and charts

black13 and BrettHead like this.
  39. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

This seems odd to me, I've always read that wax is so oxygen permeable that it does basically nothing to prevent oxygen ingress. And just thinking about what wax is that makes sense, it's really not going to make a gas-tight seal, the seal around the cap (or cork) is going to be way, way better. It just shouldn't make that big of a difference...

But at least someone actually tried to test something involved with aging, kudos for that.

swoopdog likes this.

40. I love Mean Old Tom, but I had a 9 month old bottle the other day and it was pretty garbage. Definitely drink as fresh as possible.