1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

To what do you attribute the ABV% Creep in Bourbon County Stout?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JJFoodie, Feb 2, 2013.

1. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (210) Texas May 11, 2009

So, as all of us Texans are waiting with baited breath for GI to fully arrive, the debate of whether or not we as BAs will support them as an InBev line is raging. While people are split about supporting GI, the general consensus is that it may only be a matter of time before our beloved BCBS is tampered with through cost-cutting measures, rendering it a shadow of itself. That started me thinking about the rise in ABV% over the past few years from 13%, then 14.5%, and now 15%. Positively or not, and from a cost-cutting/profit-maximizing standpoint or not, it seems as if the beer has already been at least tweaked. I'm just curious as to what the BA community may believe the reason for the creep in ABV% may be, and what it may or may not mean for the beer's future...sorry for the long-windedness (shit, even THAT was long!), but I haven't had a creative outlet all day and so this is it...fire away, my BA family!

Cheers!
    JJFoodie
  2. sleuthdog

sleuthdog Advocate (645) Illinois Oct 21, 2008

Not going to help answer your question but I can say as I'm sure many others will attest to...this years batch is outstanding and there has been no degradation in quality due to the buy out. BCBS lives on!!!!
  3. Blanco

Blanco Savant (490) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2008

fmccormi likes this.
  4. Still one of the best beers ever, but now that Laffler is gone...
    beercules101 likes this.
  5. Pretty damn difficult to dial in a high abv beer to a consistent ABV. Dogfish Head says 120 Minute, WWS, and Raison D'extra is 18% but certain batches have been less and some even higher. Not sure why its rising over the years though, an issue with blending barrels as production increases perhaps? But I would never expect vintages to be exactly the same.

sleuth is right though, 2012 is drinking phenomenally right now.
    seeswo likes this.
  6. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Savant (295) Missouri Jan 16, 2011

7. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I read something about yeast strains evolving over time to handle more alcohol before dying off...I think it may have been Jim Koch talking about it...not sure if that applies here...but it's one possibility.
    afrokaze likes this.
  8. mdvatab

mdvatab Savant (440) Indiana Apr 5, 2006

As others have said-- the bottom line is, '12 BCBS is drinking deliciously. Ratings and many other threads/postings support my opinion. Why not try it and form your own opinion, though? As far as there being some link between the rise in ABV and an ABInbev profit grab of some sort, could you please explain how this might work? I'm not above conspiracies, but I don't get it. The following potential contributors to more alcohol come to mind:

--Higher-gravity wort due to more malt? (more sugar than before, but should be more expensive)
    --Higher-gravity wort due to addition of another type of sugar like table sugar? (wouldn't this thin the body of the beer?)
    --Higher ABV finished product due to some kind of spirit (whiskey? vodka? Everclear?) added? (Higher cost? Thinner body?)
    --Higher ABV from whiskey barrels (more time in the barrels? different barrels?)

Who knows what's going on? At the end of the day, though, I think it comes down to this question: If a company can make a product as good or better while increasing their profits, be it ABI, Dogfish Head, or Sierra f'ing Nevada, are you against it?
  9. I dont see why InBev would tamper with Bourbon County Stout? Its probably the only Goose Island beer that flies off the shelves. How many other beers can get away with $24 for a four pack?
  10. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

Bourbon County was awesome before Laffler's time and it'll continue to be awesome after it. He's not god, people. There are plenty of capable people still left running the show over there.
  11. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

You mean until they all "take sanctuary" at the new Lagunitas brewery... ;-)
    afrokaze likes this.
  12. The rise in ABV seems pretty obvious to me. People's palates are expanding as fast as the craft beer industry. People can handle bigger beers. I would be surprised if it didnt keep going up.
  13. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I'll take a pallet of 18% ABV BCBS for my palate now please.
  14. That reasoning strikes me as pretty silly, and certainly not obvious.
    weatherdog likes this.
  15. When was the last time a beer has dropped in ABV? Beers are getting stronger everywhere.
  16. The reason for the %abv creep?

My prayers being answered.