1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Toasting your own Marris Otter malt?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by geneseohawk, Jun 18, 2013.

1. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Savant (370) Illinois Nov 4, 2008

There are a few recipes out their suggesting "toasted malt"- in particular MO at 350 degrees for 30 min?

Has anyone done this before? I have also heard you can't use the malt right away- and to let it sit for a few weeks prior to using?

Just need some advice.........

2. Won't that kill off the enzymes needed for starch conversion?

3. geneseohawk

I mean 350 for 15-20 min- not 30. After researching it says to put in a paper bag for 2 weeks to reduce "off flavors" hmmmm.

4. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I have never toasted my own malt bit have read that you need to let it sit for a couple weeks before brewing. Good luck. Are you making a Brown Ale?

5. You only use toasted malt for a 10% or so of the recipe. You can also go higher in temp when the grain is dry, most base pale malts are finished at over 200F for example.

I have done this as stated by the OP, a rest after is recommended. Smell the malt right after you toast, you will get some harsh aroma that go away with conditioning.

6. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I have toasted malt (Rahr 2-row) for two recipes, and both turned out fantastic. Here is a good website that I have used as a guide. I have generally just let the malt rest in a brown paper bag for 2-3 days prior to using it.

I have done an ESB with a pound of two row toasted for 30 minutes at 350° as well as a mild with a pound of two row roasted for 45 minutes at 400°.

One of my next beers will attempt the Psuedo Caramel malts that are discussed to see what happens.

7. Perhaps I misunderstood the original question... I was thinking the OP was going to use the toasted Maris Otter as base malt??

8. geneseohawk

No- I am sorry. I am only using it for about 9-10% of the recipe.....

9. geneseohawk

Using it for a pale ale- Lake Walk Pale Ale- never brewed but have heard very good reviews of it. I also found an ESB and Pumpkin Ale recipe that uses around 8-10% toasted MO as well.......

10. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I've read this with smoked malts. Does this hold true for any heat application prior to mash?

11. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

My house recipe, the all time favorite is brewed with 10% toasted malt. I wouldn't use MO, just the everyday pale ale malt will work fine. And I grind mine fresh from the oven, the m,alt is still hot. Smoked malts I let sit 2 weeks in a paper bag, but toasted 20-30 minutes at 350F goes straight into the mash.

12. premierpro

premierpro Savant (290) Michigan Mar 21, 2009

I am sorry that I mis spoke. I read this about smoked malts. I can not and should not comment on the toasted malt as I have no experience with it.

13. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (405) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

And I can't say that a 2 day rest won't improve it, I learned to brew before internet forums so I just did what I thought would work. After I got involved in brewing forums I learned that half of everything I did was all wrong(according to the experts) but it still worked

premierpro likes this.
  14. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (435) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

I wouldn't be against the idea of toasting malts a few weeks in advance, just in case. We've all read the arguments that malt shelf life is at least a year anyway.