1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tobacco/nicotine beer - Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sk8man121, Jan 5, 2013.

1. sk8man121

sk8man121 Savant (280) Maine Aug 24, 2007

So I just finally kicked cigarettes by switching to the e-cig, which basically vaporizes a liquid that contains pure nicotine. This got me thinking; has a beer ever been brewed with either tobacco or straight nicotine?

Not that I think I'd want to drink this or that it's even a good idea, but curiosity takes a hold sometimes...
  2. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,005) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

Not that I'm aware of but that would be a classic case of American Craft Beer Innovation. ;)
    draheim likes this.
  3. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

Add some Gingko Biloba, Guarana, 8000 milligrams of caffeine, and some B-12 and that sounds like something they'd sell at a rave.
  4. sk8man121

I still don't know what the hell guarana is. It sounds like some type of monkey.
    tronester, jglowe77, JxExM and 5 others like this.
  5. I remember a Shorts brew at EBF last year that had huge tobacco flavor- I'm pretty sure it was described as being brewed with leaves. I was buzzed at the time- anyone else remember this?
  6. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (500) New York Mar 7, 2010

Ive heard that nicotine is lethal if liquified. And I dont mean cancerous over time I mean lethal as in youd die shortly after consumption. I could be mistaken though.
    tronester, RichardMNixon and Schwantz like this.
  7. I just kicked alcoholism by switching from liquor to beer...
    beerme411, Ranbot, Tschnab and 11 others like this.
  8. Ah, it was Shorts' The Gambler. Tasted like cigarettes. It reviewed poorly, but I kind of liked it.
  9. sk8man121

I've been looking into this whole thing a lot since switching to the electronic cigarette. A lot of people fill these with "juice" on their own, which can save a lot of money. The liquid itself isn't dangerous in that way if it's properly vaporized because you're only getting a small amount of nicotine.

If you were to uncap a bottle of the juice, dump the entire thing into a beer and drink it, you would most certainly end up in the ER if you didn't die first. Pure nicotine on its own is highly, highly toxic.
  10. Crusader

Crusader Savant (345) Sweden Feb 4, 2011

Well I'd make a distinction between nicotine and tobacco. Nicotine can be administered by those non-tobacco e-cigarettes or snus, whilst the flavor of tobacco along the lines of a cigarette, cigar or snus is a different matter all together. The flavor of tobacco can be quite pleasant depending on the individual, and if a beer happens to have similar taste characteristics to tobacco then all the better. It's a pleasant taste after all, to someone who is used to tobacco.

To my knowledge no beer has approached the taste of tobacco however.
  11. Homebrew - probably. Commercially - no way.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  12. sk8man121

LET'S CHANGE THIS
  13. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I've heard of some Italian brewer making a beer with tobacco...also heard that they can't send it to the US because tobacco in an alcoholic beverage (probably beverage in general) is illegal here or something.
  14. sk8man121

i actually love the flavor of pipe tobacco. i feel like it'd lend itself extremely well to something like a robust porter. smuttynose better get their goddamn act together.
  15. Cenosillicaphobe

"KeTo RePorter from Birra del Borgo, located about 70 kilometers east of Rome. The beer is a rich porter spiced with tobacco leaves (added during the final two minutes of the boil). Several other Birra del Borgo beers are available in the United States, however this one has had a little trouble getting label approval . . .
    Anyway, perhaps we should considered the power of persuasion, but KeTo seem to have a little pipe tobacco sweetness in the aroma and flavor and surprising spicy notes that set it apart from other porters. You may or may not like this, you may or may not think it is worth the price, but Italian small-batch brewers must ask more for their beers (they are spending 40 to 50 percent more than large brewers for ingredients) so they better be offering something different."
    http://appellationbeer.com/italian-craft-beer-in-one-photo/
    Doppelbockulus likes this.
  16. sk8man121

Leave it to the Italians.
  17. smithm1970

smithm1970 Aficionado (140) Ohio Jan 11, 2010

At the '99 GABF there was a tobacco stout..tasted like someone brewed in a spittoon. Strangely, everyone (myself included) wanted to try it to see if it was as awful as we heard..it was.
    sk8man121 likes this.
  18. Let me hit that
    Schwantz likes this.
  19. Olde hickory brewing did a tobacco stout many years ago. It was actually maxim magazine's "buzz of the month" although I doubt they had any of it because I heard it was bad. I wasn't even drinking stouts way back then and I sure wasn't going to try that. They only made a little and haven't made any more.
  20. Victory Otto tasted like a beer that somebody used as an ashtray.
    hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  21. Cenosillicaphobe

Yeah...I love Victory...but that was straight up bottled ass.
    victory4me likes this.
  22. Oh don't worry I am sure Rogue will do something like this at one point or another.....
  23. sk8man121

Bwahahaha...although, I'd venture that DFH will get there first!
  24. Cenosillicaphobe

Yeah...doodoo brown bottle...Rogue Diner Breakfast Porter brewed with old coffee that sucked when it was fresh, runny eggs, cigarette butts, and the decaying corpses of hopes and dreams.
  25. I get hints of tobacco here and there in different beers. Most tobacco flavor I have ever picked up is Alpine Great, and it was delicious. Never been a smoker, but I did work at a store with a tobacco shop way back...
  26. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I quit smoking by picking up alcohol! One vice for another.

In all seriousness, it's a lot easier to consume a cigarette at lunchtime rather than nicotine beer.
    sk8man121 likes this.
  27. SOUNDS REVOLTING
    Gosox8787, Schwantz and BeerNut402 like this.
  28. KeTo RePorter isn't the only one from Del Borgo, they also make KeTo Re Ale. Ke To stands for Kentucky Tobacco. I would love to try these beers but unfortunately they aren't allowed in america yet. I don't smoke, and haven't used alternative tobacco products, but I would drink a beer with tobacco, it's the only way I would purposefully consume tobacco. Italy makes a ton of interesting craft beers, and I am personally fascinated by them as much as American craft beer.
    westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  29. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Send Sam at DogFish an email and it will be soon
    sk8man121 likes this.
  30. sk8man121

Again, I really don't think I'd want to tackle this beast. I have enough problems in my life as it is.
    RobertColianni likes this.
  31. adamette

adamette Advocate (550) Ohio Aug 23, 2007

Yes, here is my review from 2009...I can still recall a STRONG cigar tobacco presence in the beer. I am not sure that I would seek it out again, but as my review states, it was certainly unique!
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/14046/49386/?ba=adamette
  32. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (365) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

yeah i fill an e-cig with 'juice'... It saves a ton/.. never dawned on me to drink the nicotine juice but i suppose it's a matter of time before some idiot does it and e-cigs refills are banned by brain-dead politicians. It is better to suppress millions to save the lives of two morons!
  33. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

I have been sitting on the idea of coffee flavored cigarettes for years. Someone else can carry through with the idea if they'd like.
  34. 36cf

36cf Aficionado (155) Belgium Dec 29, 2012

There is a belgian tripel tobacco beer called Jean Nicot and its brewed at brewery De Graal.
    It is brewed in order for a belgian cigarclub. There using Java, Havana and Brasilia tobacco leaves but there is no nicotine in the beer.
    I've got some in my cave but i didn't drinked it yet.
  35. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

It was brewed with Lapsang Souchong, a smoked tea, not tobacco.

If you were to soak tobacco leaves in water the result would be very toxic and potentially deadly. Very bad idea.
  36. I prefer to get my alcohol consumption through beer and my tobacco through Tomacco Juice. Let my keep my addictions separate please.
    frazbri, djsmith1174 and jhartley like this.
  37. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

the result was almost as disastrous. one of the worst things i've ever tasted in my life (and i love short's).
  38. I have had the Keto Reporter quite good, a sweet porter that reminded me a bit of smoking a cigar, only lightly akin to how a cigar smells.

Don’t think that brewing with liquid nicotine would be a good idea, putting enough into so that you could taste it would probably kill you.
  39. pghlee

pghlee Savant (255) Georgia Feb 24, 2006

40. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) New York Dec 30, 2011

No no no, that's a French guarana.
    Schwantz likes this.