1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tobacco/nicotine beer - Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sk8man121, Jan 5, 2013.

1. TheBeerAlmanac

TheBeerAlmanac Member

DFH head won't brew an ingredient unless it's an undiscovered root berry relegated to the tops of trees within a 2 mile radius in the Amazonian rainforest that blooms every fifth leap year. Or hops.
    mahak213 and RobertColianni like this.
  2. hinemk76

hinemk76 Member

I think I can see where this is going, and I'm just going to take it there. We need to get a Colorado or Washington brewery to brew some beer with weed.
    beergurujr likes this.
  3. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Oh, we've been there before on the forum - just last month in fact, for 5 pages.
    beergurujr likes this.
  4. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Member

I heard they're pouring an unobtanium porter at this yer's GABF.
    SteveKotajarvi likes this.
  5. hinemk76

hinemk76 Member

Hmm maybe I should search more often. I'm surprised I missed that as I come on everyday. Carry on.
  6. 6packofbas

6packofbas Member

7. Danielbt

Danielbt Member

Let's chill on the hysterics. Snuff and chewing tobacco get ingested and you don't die immediately from it.

Alcohol can also be very toxic and potentially deadly. Depends on the amount ingested. Same with nicotine.

You could easily brew a batch of beer with a small amount of whole tobacco leaf and get plenty of flavor without a toxic dose of nicotine. Obviously, as it's been done.
    hoppusmaxximus likes this.
  8. RockAZ

RockAZ Member

An interesting subject, would like to acquire a bottle of KeTo to see for myself. Dropping a sachet of fragrant cured tobacco leaves in the last minutes of a boil on a porter seems like something I would enjoy. As for the flavoring experiments by the e-cig 'mad scientists', you could use the flavorings without the nicotine introducing after fermentation, they blend those with a glycerin solution containing whatever nicotine level you specify. The internet has places to buy the flavoring alone with no nicotine added to allow you to blend your own recipes. No reason to bring poisons into the beer, as long as the purist in you doesn't mind a bit of modern chemistry.
  9. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Member

I thought Schmaltz Genesis Ale had tobacco flavor the one time I had a sixer. I remember enjoying it quite a bit for that very reason.
  10. Tballz420

Tballz420 Member

I was researching putting some redman into a batch of homebrew, and from what I read the boiling process would extract the nicotine into a potentially lethal dose. It is probably one of the most dangerous drugs on the planet after all.

As for brewing up a real "nugget nectar," it has been done with success, and it sounds awesome

Psilo-saison is also on my to-do list
  11. Knapp85

Knapp85 Member

I heard it can be leathal if you brew it. So I doubt that any beer has it in there. I orginally wanted to do an Imperal Stout with Tabacco leaves but did some research and people said not to attempt it because steeping it can release way more nicotine than when it's smoked.
  12. DHS1029

DHS1029 Member

After smoking cigarettes for 8 years (have been tobacco free for about 1 yr 3 mos.) this is the last thing I would want to see in beer. Disgusting! The smell of tobacco alone is enough to keep me away now...
  13. DHS1029

DHS1029 Member

I could go for a good Psilo-saison. That's one trip I would like to take ;)
    Tballz420 likes this.
  14. Kinsman

Kinsman Member

What about smoking the malt over tobacco leaves? It would avoid the potentially dangerous effects of steeping the leaves and seems like it would get around the US regulation banning tobacco in beer.
  15. fineout

fineout Member

There is coffee and/or cappuccino flavored tobacco for pipes, hookahs and e-cigs.
  16. TomClem

TomClem Member

I'd recommend the OP starts experimenting with a decent stout, pipe tobacco, and a French press. Just like DIY BCBVS.
  17. daysinthewake

daysinthewake Member

There's a simple process to extract the nicotine from tobacco. The extract from just one pack of cigarettes will kill someone. I like beer, but I want it to kill me a bit slower.
  18. namyarb3

namyarb3 Member

I've seen this pop up on the homebrewing website I frequent.
    It'll probably kill ya if you brew with it.
  19. beerexplorer1973

beerexplorer1973 Member

A couple of years ago, O'so (Plover, WI) made their barrel-aged Night Train with tobacco for the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison. It was FANTASTIC. Unfortunately, Mark explained that it is not legal to brew and sell alcohol with nicotine in it (at least in Wisconsin).
  20. mintjellie

mintjellie Member

It's a climbing plant native to the Amazon. It's berries contain seeds that contain twice the concentration of caffeine found in coffee. It's really just another natural source of caffeine.
  21. mintjellie

mintjellie Member

How do you plan on doing the psilo-saison? Aren't psilocybin and psilocin supposed to be very volatile when heated?

22. mintjellie

mintjellie Member

This would add a whole new dimension to alcohol addiction.
  23. BlackDragon

BlackDragon Member

Its Illegal at least in the USA
  24. Tballz420

Tballz420 Member

Yeah it would be added during the fermentation stage, not the boil. Probably just make a tea and then add it to the batch