1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tod Mott eyes Kittery for microbrewery, winery

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by EnronCFO, Mar 22, 2013.

1. http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20130322-NEWS-130329899

Looking to launch a 3,000 barrel per year microbrewery, with three flagship beers. One of which will be Kate the Great under its new name. I find it hard to believe he'll be able to keep KtG on long enough to call it a flagship, but I also don't care and will drink whatever Tod decides to brew. Can't wait!

2. nootch23

nootch23 Savant (340) Massachusetts Mar 29, 2012

Thanks for posting the link for this article. I've been waiting to hear something about Tod ever since he left Portsmouth. I knew he was looking at S. Berwick but that was a couple years ago so it's good to get an update.

3. Pahn

Pahn Advocate (695) New York Dec 2, 2009

sounds like a great model. best of luck to him.

4. Awesome! I love stopping through Kittery on the way to see my family up "down east". Now I have another reason for stopping ;)

smutty33 likes this.
  5. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Sweet, can't wait to try the "new" KtG, it being one of my favorite stouts of all time.

Wonder when Portsmouth is going to release their own KtG (in name, but not the same recipe).

Dope

6. They cant. He took it with him. Legally I mean.

7. That's not what the article quotes Mott himself saying:
    And, of course, no one can really "own" a recipe.

Jesta384 and stupac2 like this.
  8. Tod knows beer...
    I'm confident what he brews will be delicious and top rated.
    I for one am looking forward to his Imperial Stout (call it whatcha want), bring it on baby!!

smutty33 likes this.
  9. I can already hear the cries of "It's not the same." I predict the robust rare notes will severely drop off.

10. im gonna session the shit outta a KTG growler

Trevdawg, Gosox8787 and ElGallo like this.

11. Royal impy stout- when i was at the brew pub recently the waitress said"its the new kate" i said wow, i hope they arent telling you to market this beer as such!

12. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

Probably going to take some time to perfect it. Maybe they will call it Kate when they are fully happy with it.

Dope

13. Did it age for months on port wine soaked oak chips? If not, then it's not the "new Kate". KtG is different than almost every imperial stout on the market, for better or worse.

14. I don't believe a staff member actually said that... or said that within earshot of management. The brewery has been very keen to distance itself from any "new Kate" beer or marketing, and rightfully so. Yes, the Royal Impy Stout is in the same stumpy bottle as 2012 Kate, but the similarities end there.

15. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

awesome news....

seriously, can we for once not have a threat about Tod Mott, Portsmouth Brewery or KtG that doesnt automatically detour into:
    A) Its not going to be the same
    B) Tod owns the recipe/ Tod can't own a recipe
    C) Portsmouth owns the name.

All of these are a dead horse.

16. trbergman

trbergman Savant (405) Illinois Nov 17, 2006

I don't know about that. Just for the sake of argument, assume they make equal amounts of each flagship and combined those account for just half of total production. That's 500 bbl of "Kate," or 50 times the annual production of KtG at Portsmouth. That's a Kate the Great day almost every week.

17. Agreed . That's why I was taken back...

18. Cool! Kittery can be the new walk-around beer/food/wine mecca like Waterbury! Killer food & taplist at Black Birch, great pizza & drafts at that new place (I can't think of the name) and Tod's new brewpub/winery. May start shifting my stops on the way home from ME to Kittery instead of Portsmouth.

CypherEnigma likes this.
  19. Isn't that all BA is these days?

Bierman9 likes this.
  20. Jesse14

Jesse14 Savant (255) Massachusetts Jul 21, 2011

I don't want to piss in anyone's cereal but getting a zoning change is no small feat. At least not in MA. I deal with that issue all the time and all it takes is one or two unreasonable people to kill it. Hopefully, the local Boards are forward thinking and see that the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks. It will all depend on how good the lawyers and engineers are working on behalf of Todd....scary thought to think those "types" may determine the fate and timeline of tasting his beer in the region.

21. Goodness. I stand corrected. I didn't read the whole article, and I was going off my (obviously incorrect) memory. I thought I had read elsewhere when he first left that he took it with him.

22. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Savant (375) Maine Oct 28, 2011

From what I recall, a portion of Kate is aged on Port and added into the rest of to taste. So theoretically Id imagine he could age a large portion and pull a little off at a time to add to each batch. I hope to see about getting some of the double oak aged.

23. It sounds like it won't be a brewpub, but agreed on that little area of Kittery: it has really come into its own in the past couple years. The Black Birch, especially, is one of the best restaurants on the Seacoast, but as a whole the area is still no Portsmouth. Once the bridge reopens, I think that little section of Kittery will really become sort of an extension of Portsmouth--a distinct neighborhood from downtown, technically in a different town and state, but really more a part of the larger Portsmouth area. I, for one, am definitely looking forward to the day when I can walk between the Black Birch and Tod Mott's new brewery, and everything in downtown Portsmouth.

24. When Pigs Fly. Easily my favorite beer haunt after Blackback. Family friendly and much easier to get a table than at Black Birch.

25. Its as if they think Tod is a one trick pony - same as all those that thought the Porstmouth brewpub was only worthy of a visit one day a year. Tod one of the grandfathers of New England craft beer, he knows beer and beer styles up and down and can brew anything he sets his mind to at top level of quality. Personally I thought his milk stout and oatmeal stout were of much higher quality than the stout he's known for by one trick pony craft beer fans, but they are low abv, non-bbl aged, non-tickeriffic styles, so I guess they are just boring to those who only care about big flavor and hype.

26. Good thing i'm moving to Portsmouth in June. Woot.

27. The 5 C's IPA is still one of my favorites, and Tod's Holidaze Porter and Sour Brune were also fantastic.

28. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (255) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

welcome to the area! (pre-emptively)

Gosox8787 likes this.
  29. Thanks! Now I just got to find an apartment!

lostsurf24 likes this.
  30. I am looking to do the same with the lady, same month once I can secure a new labor and office

Trevdawg likes this.
  31. June is good. We'll have a nice little welcoming for ya: you bring the KBS, and we'll bring whatever the benevolent NH state liquor commission permits us to purchase :confused:

Seriously, though, you're moving to a great little city. Tax free, and good beer is only a state border away... which is conveniently just across the river.

And to be relevant to the thread, "Yes I love Portsmouth Brewery and Tod Mott too." :rolleyes:

32. oh i am very excited to move there. I was born and raised in Manchester. In May I will be graduating from WPI and then moving back to NH (no income tax woot). Very excited to come up there.

I have some 2010 and 2011 KBS, hopefully some 2013 too :p I save it for the first bottle share in the area.

33. xanok

xanok Savant (405) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I like Portsmouth Brewery. It's a great environment and great food as well to go with their beer.
    That being said, their beer was starting to get boring. It's not that it was bad, but I'd visit four times a year and I could almost always count on the same beers being on tap nearly every time I went.

-Murphy's Law
    -Black Cat
    -Dirty Blonde
    -Oatmeal Stout

Add on a few year round Smuttynose beers and a couple seasonals, and that's their tap list on most nights. The lack of variety in that brewpub is shocking. It was an extreme rarity that I would see either 5 c's on tap, Bottle Rocket, or their imperial IPA(which is outstanding and borderline criminal that it's so rarely available).

34. I get you on the selection thing towards the end of Tod's tenure. It was dissapointing to see so many guest/smutty beers - a victim of their own popularity I guess - it seemed like they just couldn't keep an ipa on tap for more than a few days.

35. I agree about the selection toward the end of Tod's time there. It was understanding to a certain extent, but a bummer nonetheless. While it looks like Murphy's Law (for St. Patrick's Day, apparently) and Black Cat are on right now, so is 5C's and some other more interesting beers. Over the past few months, it seems like the beers have been rotating a lot more than they had been the past couple years, including switching the Dirty Blonde out for a rotating session line, which is a great idea in a brewpub.

Gosox8787 and Trevdawg like this.
  36. I'm a fellow Mancunian currently living in Mass and looking to perhaps move to Portsmouth someday. It's a great town for so many things, not least of all good beer. Hope the move goes smooth.

Trevdawg likes this.