1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.

Tonka Brewing IPA

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by blackdog1101, Mar 23, 2013.

1. I was at a buddy's house the other night, and he offered me a Tonka Preservation IPA. It's the first time I really couldn't drink a beer offered to me by someone. I hold to the idea that if someone offers me a beer in hospitality I will drink it, even if it's a Bud Lite. Fortunately my friends know I like good beer and usually it's not a problem. But my buddy bought it because they give their profit over to environmental causes. Anyhow, it sucks donkey kong, and I had to drain pour it. I can't recall when I'vew had such a bad beer. Fortunately I know this friend well enough to say I didn't care for it; and we ended up making a run for Chinese food and also got some Lagunitas Maximus. Fresh Maximus is awesome.

So if someone offers you Tonka IPA, run.

2. I tried this a few months ago and have to agree. Not a lot good to say about this beer. My 3.25 was probably generous.

On the other hand Maximus is one of my go to beers. Lagunitas continues to impress.

3. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (525) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

How do you get to a 3.25 for something "Not a lot good to say about this beer"??? A 3.0 is an "average" rating.

maximum12 likes this.
  4. I guess I'm what someone in school would describe as an easy grade. I've only had 4 or 5 grades below this and only one in the 2's. I don't generally drink or grade things I'm not gonna like (Bud Light) so since I usually like most IPAs they normally get a pretty good grade. This beer wasn't drain pour but it wasn't good.

Peoples reviews don't always make sense as well. I saw this earlier:

1.81/5 rDev -52%
    look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1

Just sayin'. Its all subjective.

5. burlyb

burlyb Zealot (90) Minnesota Dec 17, 2007

Vile stuff. It's brewed in Monroe Wi, so probably by Minhas "Craft" (choke) Brewery. If you've ever had the misfortune of having a Sconnie beer or Simpler Times (Trader Joes swill) it's basically the same odd funk, but with a few hops waved near it. It's a swell cause, but they're not a real brewery - just a re-packaging a Minhaus brand.