1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Too much Irish Moss

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by gongfu, Aug 29, 2012.

1. gongfu

gongfu Aspirant (40) Connecticut Mar 30, 2011

What is effect of too much irish moss in the fermenter? Accidentally dumped about 3/4 oz in 5 gal.!

2. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Did you put it in the fermenter? Or, did you put it in the boil?

3. spartan1979

spartan1979 Savant (385) Missouri Dec 29, 2005

Irish Moss should be added to the boil, not the fermenter. As long as it doesn't introduce an infection, I would think it would have much impact on the beer in the fermenter. I suppose it could introduce a slight off-flavor, but I never really paid attention to see if Irish Moss has any flavor.

4. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (445) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

It tastes like seaweed when you put it to the tongue. My guess would be that you don't taste it in the beer because of hops and volumes. Maybe too much would give a dank flavor.

5. gongfu

gongfu Aspirant (40) Connecticut Mar 30, 2011

In the boil (sorry).

6. Probably nothing. I suspect most beers are very forgiving of misusing Irish Moss, unless you're buying it by the pound.

Anyhow, you're supposed to measure Irish Moss? I typically shake some from the bottle to the bottle cap so that the IM covers the bottom of the bottle cap.

7. chocosushi

chocosushi Savant (450) Oklahoma May 1, 2011

Sorry to bump an old ass thread,
    but I accidentally added a tablespoon to a 3 gallon batch in the last 15 minutes...
    am I royally fucked?

8. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

I wouldn't worry about it. Unlikely that you'll be able to taste it.

9. Excuse the noob but what does "Irish moss" do exactly?

Saw the thread and got curious.

10. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (435) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Irish moss Helps facilitate cold break.

11. Helps in clarity of the beer.

12. harsley

harsley Savant (460) Massachusetts Jun 16, 2005

It helps clear your beer of proteins.

13. The rule I go by is 1.5 tsp per 5 gallons. You've done a little over triple that. I don't foresee any problems as a result.

14. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

Why use Irish Moss when you can just use a Whirlfloc tablet? Are they not the same thing?

15. when i first started homebrewing, i ordered whirfloc from my supply guy.
    i was making the recipe and, with 15 min left in the boil, i added my whirfloc.
    the entire baggie (10 tablets).

i then repeated the same mistake with the next beer i brew. after i added it, i thought "something tells me that this can't be right".

beer had an astringent taste to it.

16. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

I'll bet the beer was crystal clear though!

17. chocosushi

Thanks guys!
    I think after I'm out of moss I'm gonna switch to whirlflocs

GoldenChild likes this.
  18. sure as hell was.
    i admired it as i poured it down the drain.

19. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (750) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Whirfloc is a more refined product that serves the same purpose. I use whirfloc.

GoldenChild likes this.
  20. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Savant (395) Virginia Nov 10, 2010

I found Whirfloc was a little easier to use but it did not produce as dense a trub cake as does Irish moss.

A less dense trub cake retains more wort and...as a small batch brewer...I can't afford to lose any volume into the fermentor.

21. chocosushi

So whirlfloc would be the way to go being easier to use, & producing a less dense trub?
    I'm only on 3-6 gallon batches so far so the less wort I lose, the better.

22. chocosushi

WOW!
    So the beer is fine, great flavor, no saltiness,
    but it produced the biggest, cheesiest trub cake I have EVER seen.

23. Ilanko

Ilanko Aficionado (225) New York Aug 3, 2012

The worst case scenario you start speaking flute Irish. boiled stage is very safe.

24. pweis909

pweis909 Advocate (715) Wisconsin Aug 13, 2005

There was a Can You Brew It episode in which JP accidentally put too much whirlfloc in the boil. IIRC, he dumped the powder remains of many whirl flocs that he probably picked up when he was working at morebeer and wasn't thinking in terms of how many tablets that powder represented. He described the trub as being extremely gelatinous and Jamil Z could pick up a slight seaweed flavor in the beer, which he mentioned prior to learning about the whirlfloc mistake. It was the first Shakespeare Stout show, if you care to look it up. So you can apparently impart a seaweed taste if you use too much, and since whirlfloc is processed Irish moss, there ought to be some parallels to draw.

25. I did use whirlfloc on my IPA that I brewed this weekend as well based on the recommendations I have read here and my krausen looks "cheesy" as well. I could not pour the wort without sending most of the hops along with it so I thought it was just all the hops!

[​IMG]

26. chocosushi

Thats what mine looked like too, but even more bubbly!
    I was able to literally lift it off like a giant sponge.

27. garve

garve Zealot (85) Massachusetts Feb 16, 2009

When I was a kid back in late 70s early eighties I worked as an Irish mosser off of Cohasset , Massachusetts,,, we used to rake it off the rocks and were payed like 2 cents a pound..it was a big fishery in the day...held together by an old time mosser...when he died it died..... But back then it was a key ingredient in making jello gel...now the fishery is dead...like all the rest of the industry .

tkdchampxi likes this.