1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Too stubborn for the 'Hads'?

Discussion in 'Site' started by VelvetExtract, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I respect the ease and the simplicity of the 'Had' feature. But is anyone too stubborn (like me) to begin using the 'Had'? After nearly 1,000 full reviews, I just don't want to switch up my reviewing game. Just me?
  2. franklinn

franklinn Savant (440) Vermont May 29, 2012

No, that makes sense. Whatever works for you.

I use the hads to give a general overview to trading partners about my likes and dislikes. I don't review because I don't personally find a point to it, I just like to drink beer.

With that said, I dislike that hads now count towards the BA score of a beer. There are many people who take tasting seriously and review seriously. I don't think my drunken clicking should detract from their carefully constructed and well thought out reviews.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy :D
  3. You are in my head.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Well, after lurking on the site for several years and following some friends that are BAs... Hads were my entry point into the reviewing experience and now I do a full review for all my new beers unless that is not possible (too small a sample size, closed brewery, etc.).
  5. Dope

Dope Advocate (545) Massachusetts Oct 5, 2010

I'm mostly stubborn too. I only use Hads for when I'm out with friends or at a bar or something and I try something new. Don't really have the time or desire to write a full review but would like to score it on a reasonable level. I think they should count towards a beer's rating but on a smaller level. Like weighted only 25% of the overall score. It kinda makes me think, why spend 30 minutes writing out the best review I can, when I can just click a little drop-down list and it "counts" just the same.

Dope
  6. I'm with you, 249 reviews, 0 hads for me.
    fx20736 and kojevergas like this.
  7. As stated above, I like the hads feature for when Im not at home and have a new beer.
    larryi86 likes this.
  8. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

I'm with you, I use the data base for my own list of beers I like. I've had hundreds of beers that didn't interest me and I don't care if anyone is interested that I had them.
  9. Hads are dumb. Review it, or don't.
  10. kojevergas

kojevergas Champion (850) Texas Aug 15, 2010

I'm too stubborn for hads meself. Sometimes when I'm out with friends, they'll grant me one sip of their beer and I'll write down a had, but if I have the choice I always go with reviewing.

The main reason I chose beeradvocate over ratebeer in the first place was that the "reviews" on ratebeer tend to be rather brief and pathetic; I wanted to review in depth so I came here.
  11. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

I don't consider myself a ticker, so Hads don't work for me. I prefer to review in a way that I can express my experience with a beer, which is acceptable on BA here. However, I can see why a lot of people like and use Hads. It's an easy way to keep track of things.

Jeff
  12. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Well assuming we all live to see the day that the mobile app is launched I'm sure the Hads will integrate there better as a tracking method. I enjoy reading the reviews here and that is what brought me to BA in the first place. I almost always spend alot of time looking on BA when I am considering what new beers to try. I also use Untappd as a method to track when I am out tasting with friends or alone and dont feel like reviewing and I enjoy it (I realize that probably places me in the minority here). When BA rolls their version out and I can keep track of what my buds are drinking I will gladly give it a shot. But as others have stated do what you like. And for those with 1000+ reviews I salute you, you have undoubtedly led me TO or AWAY some great or awful beers.
  13. TaylorK

TaylorK Aficionado (205) Virginia Oct 9, 2012

That's what's beginning to happen to me. I started to do full reviews, but am still skipping for Had function. I imagine I'll mix it up.
  14. Agreed, I just passed 3,000 reviews and have never used the hads feature. I like reviewing too much to make the switch.
    ehammond1, thagr81us and davey101 like this.
  15. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Only at 400ish but also agreed. Honestly, the .25 increment thing is bigger issue to me than the "hads" feature.
  16. You don't like the new increments? I felt the same way in the past because I was so used to the old system, but I have realized it gives me greater flexibility in terms of scoring when something isn't quite at a 0.50 increment either way. It just takes some getting used to.
    thagr81us likes this.
  17. Coming up on 2K reviews here with 0 hads. Doubt I will ever use it, but it is nice that others have the option.
    barleywinefiend and davey101 like this.
  18. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

I love the increment as it makes things easier now, but I almost feel inclined to go back and adjust reviews. If I could do them all over again they would certainly be sitting at slightly different numbers. Oh well, semantics.
  19. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (530) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

Considering my relative new status, I have mixed feeling about the hads. I have maybe seventy some reviews, and have not used the hads at all. I never even thought about it...I felt writing a review was the responsible approach. My reviews might not be top shelf, but they are honest and I do my best. I also spent time writing them off line before adding to the site. I totally rely on the narrative reviews when researching a brew.

The hads might lead to extremes being used or random numbers, but i would guess they are already the predominant form of rating. Unfortunately, it comes down to the individual. With the quarter point increments, one can potentially score equally well by the numbers. It looks like some people actually use the system as I assume it is intended - to give a quick but reasonably accurate score. But there are many examples like the ones posted where everything is a zero or five that are completely useless. To me that defines ticking...if you can't even be bothered to use the simple pull down scores and put a little thought into the numbers, why are you rating by either method?

Obviously either method can be abused. I assume that the had system is more valuable for mobile apps, so it is a necessary evil as the website grows given the mobile society we live in. I think weeding out thoughtless scores is a problem either way, but if there is a written review I have the chance to more accurately determine the value of the score.
    endovelico likes this.
  20. Catchy_Name

Catchy_Name Savant (385) California Dec 21, 2011

I look at the 'Hads' feature similar to having an Untappd account. Quick way to check it in to remember having something, but doing that, reviewing a beer between here, RB, and others is too much work for me. A quick check in on Untappd is typically sufficient. And besides, I'm not one of the people who counts my reviews and uses them as badges of honor or marks to my credibility. But to each their own.
  21. RichD

RichD Advocate (615) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I frequently use hads because a decent amount of my beer consumption happens in public at restaurants and pubs. I would never take notes and shit at a bar for a review. However, I'm trying to review every beer I have now because I feel that it is a better way to appreciate what a beer has to offer. It's a more complete analysis of what you're drinking. And plus, it allows me to revisit the beers I've had or reviewed and see how my current taste compares to when I reviewed the beer.
  22. Don't hate hads. Hate the fact that they now factor into rankings.

I VERY rarely review. I've only done a few hads on here when I first started using the site, but it become too tiresome to use the browser on my phone so I started using Untappd. I don't use it to rate the beers really, just to keep track of what I drink and my general feelings towards it. Once the BA app gets released, I'll most likely switch entirely to doing hads on here. It'd be very nice to have all my info in one place. I certainly wouldn't mind my hads not having as much pull, if any, as full reviews in terms of ratings, because for me, I don't use it for that. I use it as a personal record book of what I've had and how I feel about it. If anything, not having my hads contribute to ratings might even motivate me to review more frequently, especially if the reviewing process on the app is easily accessed. Just my two cents.
  23. I caved in, and started using it. Mainly because it's now a nice way to record everything I've had (duh), that I later want to review (I'm guessing that's part of it's purpose). I'm a bit worried though that I'll become beerlazy, and won't properly review since using it. I guess it seems kind of double-edged to me.

I'm also concerned about the accuracy in ratings now. I know that I try to be careful about that when I use it, but I'm not sure that I'm being as "thoughtful" about the beer as I could be (thus skewing the rating).
  24. I use hads to track what beer i drink.
  25. Thank you.

It makes no sense that on this website, you can't "bash" or "troll" a beer in a review without saying "why" you disliked it (a sensible policy). . . but you're free to give out "1"s in a "had" review for world class beer without saying why (makes no sense in conjunction with the review policy).
  26. I was using the 'Hads' previously, but rarely. This is a nice option if the drinking situation does not make taking notes easy, socially acceptable, or possible. I also use them when I feel the sample size is too small or too poorly attended to, to write a fair full review. Note that these lead me to join many others in objecting to the over-weighted impact they have on overall ratings. Worse yet, reports indicate that some 'Had' ratings come from vague memories, or simple desire to provide oneself with a marker of whether or not to try the beer again later. In short, it is misguided to count the 'Had" scores the same as full reviews. Hopefully, the Bros. will see this too and courageously back-track or refine (low weighting) the contribution of 'Had' scores.
  27. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'm lazy. no hads. no reviews :oops:
  28. Hads are useful when you taste an oz. of something at a bar, are trying to remember about that beer you had a few months before deciding writing BA reviews was cool, or are so piss drunk that you couldn't possibly scratch two words together in a notebook.

Otherwise, if I want to write a 1000 word review on why WALZBRO A is completely overhyped, then damnit, I will.
  29. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Chad Jan 8, 2012

I write my written reviews in a spreadsheet and keep them there for the most part. I try to put my hads up in BA in the event that the all of my spreadsheet backups are banished to the land of wind and ghosts.

I don't put much more stock in a long form written review than I do in an overall rating. Folks that come here are enthusiasts and I'm happy to see the aggregated score of the whole user base - that's more meaningful to me than a single long form review or editorial review from the site/magazine owners.
  30. I was at 251 reviews and once they added "Hads" I never went back. But that said doing full reviews really taught me a lot that I now take for granted. I used to sit down and spent a good amount of time with each beer picking out it's different flavors and complexities which now come to me much easier. I thank full reviews for that.
  31. Screw 'Hads'. I'm all about full frontal review-dity.
    BradenMK, fx20736 and ThisWangsChung like this.
  32. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've put up a few Hads. 3 of the beers I enjoyed at a tasting and I just wasn't feeling it, reviewing the beers that is. I just sat back, had a big grin on my face and enjoyed seeing the grins on my buddys' faces as we all dove in to some truly remarkable brews. I think there IS a time and a place for Hads...
    utopiajane likes this.
  33. TurdFurgison

TurdFurgison Champion (775) Ohio May 29, 2005

I was ready for the HADs option for about a year before it was implemented. Reviews became too much of a hassle. Before long I had an extensive back-log, and there are still hundreds of reviews in notebooks I've never entered.

Now it couldn't be simpler, I just click with an instant impression of the beer and I'm done. I'll only go back to full reviews for special milestones.
    djaeon likes this.
  34. Hads are alright, I wish they had implemented the quarter point system but not let it factor into the rAVG.
  35. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Well, I think Hads should factor into the average if the BA who is entering the Had has a goodly history of reviewing. Where the cutoff of "goodly history"/number of reviews recorded would be would be open to some debate for sure but a BA who reviews often and enters Hads are far more legitimate than a BA who only enters Hads. I hope that makes some sense..
    LambicPentameter likes this.
  36. jplopez21

jplopez21 Savant (470) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I prefer doing hads, because my palate and my nose arent as sensitive as most peoples. Plus I hate the hassle of doing reviews. The only review I did was for the Arcadia Barrel Aged Cereal Killer and that's only because it was a brand new beer. And you have to review new beers to add them on BA. Which makes no sense to me.
  37. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Champion (930) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

I refuse to use it. It's the ticker feature as far as I'm concerned. It might as well be changed from 'hads' to 'ticks'.
  38. Bless you! If some one wants to give a beer an A or F I wanna know why damnit.
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  39. Keep up the good work.
    thagr81us likes this.
  40. secondtooth

secondtooth Savant (350) Indiana Dec 14, 2007

I see a point for "Hads", but do not like it contributing towards the overall scores. Maybe a separate "score" to compare to more serious, composed reviews?

I have yet to use "Had" after my 700+ reviews...don't want to "cheapen" my "work". Hah!
    yemenmocha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.