1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Too stubborn for the 'Hads'?

Discussion in 'Site' started by VelvetExtract, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Personally, I used them when first introduced on the site and when I was just starting to review (I think of them as a barometer that I used before I was ready to start writing full reviews).

Rockfarmer likes this.
  2. dbc5

dbc5 Savant (455) Ohio Jun 18, 2009

Only recently did I start reviewing beers. I very much enjoy reviewing, but it occasionally isn't feasible to sit down and tap out a review on a keyboard (e.g., watching a movie with the lady friend). At those times, it is nice to click a quick "had" to record my rough overall impression of the beer.

3. I'll never switch. I don't even acknowledge "hads". I like to show some proof that I've had what I'm saying I've had, and a review is a good way of doing so

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I have been going back and doing full reviews of all the Hads that I am able to locate again - I'm certain I won't be able to find all of them again but I'm already down from like 250 to ~160...

5. Jwale73

Jwale73 Advocate (705) Rhode Island Aug 15, 2007

I generally use it at Fests when a beer is a one-off or something I'm not likely to be able to access again.

Bitterbill likes this.
  6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,045) Washington Sep 24, 2007

The thing I've run into is, you can't enter a beer only using hads. So, a lot of one-offs at fests won't be able to be entered. I only started doing reviews as a way to keep a list. If "Hads" had been available back then, I would have just used that. Now, I'm so used to doing reviews, that I mostly keep doing them. Will use hads for for tastings, fests, samples etc. If the beer is already listed.

7. Has anyone noticed an inflation in scores? This would be my concern as I trust in the rating system here as opposed to the "every decent beer is a 98" system on the other site. In general (just browsing, from memory) I noticed that the "hads" rating tended to be higher than the overall rating. I prefer to review, but as long as the integrity of the scores isn't compromised, I see no problem with including the hads in the score.

8. I only review. I don't understand anything wrong with reviewing every beer I drink. It provides a great database anytime I need to look up a beer I've already tried, I have my thoughts on it. That's basically why I review.

9. Burt

Burt Savant (485) Rhode Island Nov 27, 2005

I do not like to a written reviews for the fact that I still to this day have a hard time picking out flavors. Most of my contributions were generic like tasted citrus, malty, bitter..... I have read reviews that were so detailed and precise with smells and flavors that I can not pick out. For a while I sat down with a brew and wrote reviews just to have a list of beers that I have "HAD". Some of those I could pick out flavors better than others but still I wrote things that really was not sure of.

I like the had feature. I know what a good or a bad beer is just because I can not put in words does not mean I do not want contribute with a beers overall rating.

Thank you Bros for allowing me to still contribute in a smaller way.

Rockfarmer likes this.
  10. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Not yet. As posted previously in other threads this is something we hope to address with the site redesign.

beertunes likes this.
  11. Todd

Todd Founder (1,440) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Already discussed. Before making the update, and after, we took at look at the Hads scores and didn't notice any wide-spread inflation. In fact, the full Review and Had averages remain very similar.

12. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (635) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

Maybe I'm selfish, but the hads are strictly for me. They are for later down the road when I see a beer on the shelf, I know if I have had it or not and what I thought of it. If I had given it a 4.5 then I really liked it and know that it's worth purchasing again. Am I selfish for my use of hads, or are you selfish for your hatred of it? Hmmm...

ZEB89, beertunes and Blueribbon666 like this.
  13. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Honestly, for me I have a serious backlog of reviewed beers in notebooks & most of the time when I get on BA it's to look something up or browsing the forums. I just don't have the time or the patience to input the backlog although I really need too. So for me the "hads" is a quick way to make a note, a tick or put a pin in a beer I've had and need to review later or actually enter the written review. I have very few "hads" that I don't have something written, the exception being when I'm out & w/o a notebook to write in and trying something new. I like the "hads" as a feature but I'm on the fence about it's new affect on the BA score. I think the Bros were right to include the ability to eliminate that from view when looking @ a particular beer. I think there are plenty of full reviews from reviewers who are new, new to the style or whatever that just as easily affect the overall BA score based on their naivety.

14. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Exactly this, it IS for the individual.

15. Thanks. That is what I hoped.

16. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I only use the 'hads' when I have a new beer when I am out for dinner with my wife when I don't have a real chance to make notes to review it. If the beer were good enough to buy afterwards I would review it.

17. mactrail

mactrail Champion (775) Washington Mar 24, 2009

An example of how "Hads" are changing the BA site: for a popular beer like Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, you have to go past 74 Hads before you come to the first actual review. Yes, I usually have the "show hads" off, but I was amazed at how many choose to click "Had" and pick a number. Another reason why Hads should not count significantly toward the total score.

Mongrel and Treyliff like this.
  18. Newbie to BA, old hand with Craft Beers. Does BA have a mobile app for Hads?

I recognize, some people love to drink beer and don't care much about rating the beers they drink, more power to them. I know many people like to keep a log of brews they have consumed, it's like a trophy case of sorts, and i will concede that consumer ratings can seem arbitrary given the diversity of personal palate. So my personal feeling is that consumer ratings shouldn't influence the overall ratings of a particular brews BA score. Perhaps a duel rating system could be developed 1) BJCP scorings by BJCP certified judges and 2) a consumer rating system. All that aside....

If you use an mobile app for rating beer, what are you using?

19. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I do the same. Really, my palate is the best judge of my future palate and my memory is fading faster than a six month old IPA!

YogiBeer, MichPaul and Poorpatz like this.
  20. Knapp85

Knapp85 Advocate (700) Pennsylvania Dec 25, 2009

There is a check box on each beer that allows you to remove all the "hads", just giving a friendly heads up on that. It'll keep you from scrolling through a bunch of people who just use it as a checklist.

mactrail likes this.
  21. smakawhat

smakawhat Poobah (1,170) Maryland Mar 18, 2008

I had (ha no pun! see what I did there).. ahem.. I had thought about the idea when they first came out, and yeah we all know the debate so I wont reshash it, so I gave it a chance, the "we did a check, and found that the hads didn't really alter the ratings that much", to the "it's not a real review" crowd sure I could see both sides.

So it's implemented the only thing I've noticed is pro and con wise for myself:

pro
    • I always want to review every new beer, circumstances though sometimes just dont dictate it, or I miss something. This is when I might do a had for a general rating, which is usually pretty close to what I would get for a full review score.
    • As a result the hads are a mental note often of beers I want to go back to someday, particularly if I rated them high I can then quickly remember them down the field and it's a good reminder to revisit them. So in that case there's a little convenience factor.
    con
    • I find that since hads now effect the general rating(s), many of the categories and top beer lists (not all of them) can "fluctuate wildly" at times. Often it takes just 2 reviews and a few handful of hads and some beer on the Tripel list or somewhere else is now in the top 10 of "best of". ? Sure it's all subjective, but it can bring a "slight" discredit if the best of lists are sometimes changing CONSTANTLY... more often (they were not changing as much before the hads simply because less people were affecting the ratings of course).
    That's about all I can think of, didn't find too much of a con, since you can put as much or as little credit into what is a top beer to begin with, but others looking for direction and guidance might get confused. I do use them, but sparingly.

Reviews aren't perfect either, but the debate of whether a beer is a (in this case a scale of 5) a 3.5 or a 4.25 is really not a great basis for a debate in my opinion.

So here we are...

22. The thing that is bothering me about "hads" is that I'm getting lazy- there are a number of brews I've had in the last few months for which I swear I wrote full reviews, but when I go to check them out, I find I only did a quick rating of it. Gotta improve my discipline.

23. I was very stubborn at first. I still try to review whenever possible, but lately I've been so busy with my newborn and family in town that I've finally fallen into the trap of marking 'Had'. I will still continue to review because I feel that a full review not only improves my perspective on beer but gives me a greater understanding and appreciation of beer.

24. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (370) New York Jul 16, 2011

I'm the epitome of laziness. zero hads. Matter of fact, I don't even review things (mainly because the reviews are so technical that I can't imagine coming up with that from merely drinking a brew.)
    So yeah, my profile seems like I have never even had a beer in my life.

1fJef likes this.
  25. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I do the hads to keep track of what I've had. Most of the time if its noteworthy or if I have time (e.g. drinking it at home by myself) then I will review it. But there are times where I just don't feel comfortable reviewing it (e.g. I don't remember anything noteworthy), so I go to the hads.

All of it is mainly for my personal satisfaction and tracking of my beer consumption. I like looking at my old reviews and seeing how my palate has progressed.

26. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,135) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

^this unless I can find a peaceful quiet corner. At a Fest??? lol.

27. Caj1

Caj1 Aficionado (105) Texas Jul 2, 2013

I only use the had feature if I had a beer but didn't have notes on it... which is about 95% of the time when I'm out with friends or at a party. Especially when it's a beer someone just stuck in my hand and said "here, drink this."

28. metter98

metter98 Advocate (720) New York Aug 29, 2006

At the beginning of this year, I only had 2 hads out of about 2,700 full reviews-both hads were for breweries that were closed and writing a full review was not permitted. Since then, I started using had for other occasions, but only when I couldn't write a full review (i.e., I was having dinner and it wasn't socially acceptable to write a review, the bar was too crowded and I couldn't write a full review while standing and holding a beer and a notepad, etc.)

29. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (450) Ohio Dec 14, 2012

I use Untappd. Easy to use, information always on hand.

30. russpowell

russpowell Poobah (1,115) Oklahoma May 24, 2005

I use the hads to track beers I've tried for future reference. I'd like to think all the ones above 3.5 will eventually turn into reviews in the future, but who knows? Agreed this seems to be a Ticker's crutch. I dislike that idea enough I've never even thought about establishing an account on Ratebeer...

31. Dracarys

Dracarys Savant (310) Alabama May 28, 2013

I use hads to avoid buying beers again that I didn't like or revisit beers that I did. It's more accessible than keeping a notebook and after four years of undergraduate science education, I never want to see an Excel spreadsheet again.

32. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Egad, you're able to us to different sites!? From what I've heard from many on here, you must indeed be a wizard...

33. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

There's always just Word or Notepad...

AlienSwineFlu likes this.
  34. mudbug

mudbug Savant (490) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

While "hads' have an intrinsic value to the individual they offer almost no value to the community. I've seen beers that have 10 hads and only one review. Nothing could be learned about that beer by the hads other than what the brewers description on the top of page said except for that single reviewers content. IMO hads influencing a beers overall rating is a mistake and will bite this site in the butt later on.

35. Dracarys

Dracarys Savant (310) Alabama May 28, 2013

Which is more of an eye sore to scroll through and not easy to access in a store aisle.

36. The way I see it, the primary negative aspect of the "Hads" is that when you're looking at a beer, trying to get a feel for what it's like, a had doesn't really tell you anything. This is frustrating, but if you think about it, most of the people using the "Hads" to score a beer probably weren't going to write a review just because "Hads" weren't an option. So I don't think the presence of "Hads" really detracts from the information available on a given beer so much as it just doesn't add any information.

On the other hand, there are beneficial uses for the "Had", as has been detailed here--as a tracking mechanism, as a way to quickly provide your raw feeling about a beer when you don't have time/resources to write a review, etc...

And since it has been noted that the "Hads" don't really skew the overall rAvg scores up or down (by people who can see the specifics of such data), they don't really detract from the overall ability to evaluate a beer's raw goodness or awfulness. If a beer has a mediocre score, it sounds like it's because both reviewers and "tickers" agree that the beer is mediocre. In many ways, the presence of the "Hads" helps to validate or at least confirm the more detailed and informational reviews.

All that being said, I'm someone who started out using only "Hads", mostly to track what I had drank and become familiar with the site. As I've spent more time here (approaching my 1 year anniversary), I've become more comfortable giving reviews, and more confident that the things I'm writing are actually useful to other BAs. As such, the proportion of my total scores on here has gone from almost zero percent reviews to a full quarter of the beers I've had being reviewed. And as I review more beers, I expect this ratio to increase even more.

37. LeRose

LeRose Advocate (545) Massachusetts Nov 24, 2011

I have avoided using the hads, but recently started. I did a flight at Maine Beer, and while not the time or place for a review I wanted to capture my impression. I will review the beers as I review them when I purchase and drink them. Also did a tasting session of Troegs. Six or seven beers, hardly a generous pour, but same thing. I just wanted to capture whether I liked them enough to try "for real". Maybe Untapped is better for that, by I hardly need another on line account and untapped doesn't look like my cup of tea.

Agree that hads provide no useful information. My intent is to be on top of things and backfill my hads with reviews, but that is just me. If the hads outnumber the reviews, I don't think that is a good thing for our community.

38. I only use the hads when I'm out and about and am too busy socializing to write a review, or when I'm sampling 4 oz pours and don't have enough beer to justify a full review.

39. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (510) New York Mar 7, 2009

I have reviewed 273 beers. I did use the hads for beers I tried when dining out but never felt comfortable with it so I deleted all twenty of them. I now only do reviews and do one for every new beer I drink.

40. And this is one of the many reasons I copied and pasted all of my reviews into ratebeer.

yemenmocha likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.