1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment Too stubborn for the 'Hads'?

Discussion in 'Site' started by VelvetExtract, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradenMK

BradenMK Savant (260) Ohio Sep 24, 2012

I want to use Hads so I can keep a list of what and how many beers I've tried. I refuse to, because when I look up any beer here, and don't look just at the average rating, I always look at 3-5 full reviews of the beer and check out what people are saying about it. I am annoyed when I have to sift through 1-3 pages of Hads just to get a well-rounded look at different reviewers perspectives. Thus, I will never simply "Had" a beer at this site.
    TMoney2591 likes this.
  2. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (765) California Jan 31, 2005

Had = a way to keep track.
  3. Not so. You can use "hads" to bail you out when you can judge the beer but don't take notes or when at a tasting only get enough for a general impression without being able to identify the details. Sure, some people use it as ticks, but why does that bother you?
  4. I like the feature. I've only done a few actual reviews, and I don't plan to start doing them on a regular basis. Hads are much more my style. I like to give an overall rating to a beer, and the Had feature allows me to do that with ease. It makes it easier to keep track of different beers that I've consumed, and what my overall impression of them was. I don't see any reason why my score for a full review would end up being much different from my Had score.
  5. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (915) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

I agree - I generally do a full review of a beer when I have it but every once in a while there is a situation where taking notes on the beer for entry later is just not practical but I want to remember that I had the beer and my thoughts on it. I often use that to remind myself of beers to purchase in the future and do a full review when I get the chance (or perhaps also beers to avoid).
    VictorWisc likes this.
  6. IndyDad

IndyDad Champion (810) New York Jan 21, 2013

I use hads because I'm lazy. I'm just not one for reviewing, and I couldn't really tell you why. I don't really even like restaurant reviews. Maybe it has something to do with my restaurant background, or maybe it's just because I'm plain lazy. I use the hads so I can keep track for myself. My big fat lazy self. I guess in tht way, I'm selfish.
    But if you all want to have a beer sometime, generosity is my middle name. Call me geneRossity.
  7. If I'm in a bar or brewhouse trying several different beers and I don't want to write a review or take notes it's nice to be able to click a couple times on the phone and rate a beer fast , I think there is a time and place for both
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.