1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Top 25 beer tasting event...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by glitchedmind, Dec 30, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

Not being a proponent of this place in the slightest, so my views on their "top 25" may be somewhat skewed.
    What say you? Would you spend $35 to attend this?

2. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

Nope

beercanman and Providence like this.
  3. Agreed. $35 is better spent elsewhere.

4. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Savant (375) New York Aug 1, 2012

A nice dinner and a couple good tap beers!!!!!!!

5. Exactly. Or a pot-luck with my friends and I spend the $35 on a sixer of Ithaca Flower Power, a sixer of Brooklyn Brown, a sixer of Long Trail Double Bag, a sixer of Narragansett Lager.

6. hwy395

hwy395 Savant (250) California Jan 20, 2012

Hell no, I had a far more epic tasting recently and charged $0 and everyone went home wasted ( with a designated driver of course ).
    Next one is at the end of April...all are invited

[​IMG]

7. Hindsight

Hindsight Savant (255) Ohio Oct 8, 2011

I think the fact that Moos Creamery - Ice cream and burgers will be providing your "delicious hors d'ouerves" should give you your answer.

AgentZero, Brabander and yamar68 like this.
  8. My sentiments are being echoed repeatedly.
    I've been waiting a month for the list of beers they would have at this epic Top 25 tasting. I was sorely disappointed when this was the list they posted.
    From the comments I've heard from people, it's a great tasting. :confused:

Welcome to Bakersfield, we except mediocrity when it's in quantity.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  9. That's actually the only good thing about it. They make some amazing burgers and handmade ice cream.

10. Burgers and Ice Cream would not be what prevented me from going. A top 25 list with maybe 2 beers I would consider top 100 worthy would. Depends on how much you get to drink tho. If they are one oz samples Id pass. If it was actually pours of your choice, along with a burger, I would probably go. $35 for a burger, a Chimay blue, a Speedway, and a couple sours I have yet to try would be worth it. I just find it spiteful that they call it a top 25 tasting.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  11. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

I guess if you're just getting into craft beer, this would be a good event to attend, as the selection is decent. But c'mon; Moose Drool and Samuel Smith Strawberry in the Top 25? Please. This isn't an event for serious beer people.

12. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I wouldn't, but happy to see Uinta HopNotch on there. Criminally underrated IPA.

13. The burgers are extra and aren't included in the price of the tasting.
    They haven't said how much of a pour you get, but I doubt it will be more than 3-4 ozs.

14. For someone just getting into better beer or BAs who are missing a majority of these ticks, maybe. Personally, no.

15. Lol why didnt they put parabola on there? Oh ya they want to sell it for more then this event cost

glitchedmind likes this.
  16. jmgrub

jmgrub Savant (445) California Nov 20, 2010

No, it's a rip off. They aren't serving any beers that cost over 10 or 11 bucks/750 ml. Unless food is included in the $35, which you indicate it may not be, you'd have to drink quite a bit (of the most expensive beers) over the two-and-a-half hours to get your money's worth. Like 2250ml quite a bit.

Beerisheaven likes this.
  17. I have OCD but Jesus...

ilovermont and yamar68 like this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Needs moar walez.

I can't believe there can be a "Top 25" party in California without The Bruery, Alpine, Stone, Ballast Point, Lagunitas or Russian River.

Alesmith Speedway Stout is on the right damn track though. More that direction.

19. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Does the $35 admission fee cover unlimited pours and ice cream burgers?

Hindsight likes this.
  20. I looked up "Merry Christmas" in Webster's Dictionary the other day and this picture popped up.

21. kevanb

kevanb Advocate (680) Illinois Apr 4, 2011

Top 25 shelf turds

MarcatGSB likes this.
  22. pwoody11

pwoody11 Savant (490) Delaware Nov 23, 2009

Top 25 beers we want to get rid of

yamar68, AgentZero and fujindemon74 like this.
  23. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

From the lineup that would be about a $20 a person max event in my book. $35? Piss off.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  24. shuajw

shuajw Savant (495) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

$35? no thanks