1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Top 5 Beer Shops in your area

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HoppySeb, Mar 18, 2014.

1. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Advocate (640) Washington Jan 21, 2014

I travel frequently throughout the US and when I do so, (as many of you!) I make it a point to check out the local shops for great finds and/or rarities. I usually spend a lot of time searching online (including in this forum) for some "insider" info on which places are considered the best. With that in mind I was wondering if we could collectively get a "Top 5" or so list of beer shops for YOUR cities for other BAs to use as a reference in a single thread. So I guess I'll start with Seattle...

Top 5ish Beer Shops in the Seattle Area
    1. The Beer Junction - West Seattle
    2. Malt & Vine - Redmond
    3. Chuck's Hop Shop - Seattle
    4. Redmond Whole Foods - Redmond (yes the selection at this particular store is much better than others')
    5. Metropolitan Market - Kirkland/Seattle (any)
    6. Total Wine - Bellevue (be sure to checkout the growler station for those rare finds w/1 pp limit)

2. fleurdelou

fleurdelou Savant (295) Kentucky Nov 11, 2013

Louisville, KY and surrounding:
    1. The Keg - Clarksville (Always the go-to for limited release, especially for FFF)
    2. The Keg New Albany, IN
    3.The Louisville Beer Store - Market St. Downtown (Not the friendliest place in the world, unless you are a hipster. Awesome selection though)
    4. Sergio's World Beers (not a store, its a tap house/ eatery, but they sell thousands of beers) - Story Ave. Butchertown
    5. The Wine Rack (they sell mostly wine, but they get the good stuff as far as beer they do carry and take requests from locals for what to keep in stock and try to get for limited releases. Also, pretty awesome growler wall) - Frankfort Ave. Louisville

3. alex_hart

alex_hart Advocate (570) Oklahoma Feb 28, 2013

Tulsa Area:
    1. Bier Garten
    2. Bier Garten
    3. Park Hill's Wine and Liquor
    4. Wine Cellar
    5. Whiskey Business

4. miketd

miketd Advocate (510) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

No Bottleworks?

Around here it changes, but roughly:

Lizardville Bedford Heights
    Lizardville Lakewood
    Simone's Lakewood
    Heinen's area stores - most of them
    Circle A Beverage Parma

Surely I missed a few good ones, this is off the top.

5. EErler

EErler Disciple (60) Wisconsin Oct 17, 2013

Milwaukee, WI

1. Discount Liquor - Oklahoma Ave location
    2. Otto's - Oakland Ave. location
    3. Downer Ave Spirits - Downer Ave
    4. Café Benelux (market) - smaller selection, specializing in Belgian bier
    5. Metro Market - Van Buren St.

Discount is hands down #1 as far as selection and prices

stayclean, JayCheG, KS1297 and 3 others like this.
  6. Minneapolis (hard to do)
    Four Firkin's
    Zipps
    S Lyndale
    France 44
    Blue Max

BeersAndBears and tylerstravis like this.
  7. Rochester, NY

1. Nathaniel Square Corner Store- small store, but phenomenal selection. All of the good releases come here, plus they have a killer cellaring program. Great, rare taps for growler fills as well. Good prices.
    2. AJ's Beer Warehouse- bigger, newer store. 30 taps of NY only beer for growlers. Huge beer cave, with basically everything that is distributed to Rochester, lots of great finds. Good prices.
    3. Beers of the World- the largest selection, but probably the most expensive. Seriously exhausting amount of beer here.
    4. Hess (Bushnell's Basin location)- gas station with an incredible craft selection. Prices on par with Beers of the World, so a bit too expensive.
    5. Wegmans (all locations)- fantastic grocery store with a really respectable selection, and great prices.

fx20736, ElijahRivera and keithmurray like this.
  8. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

South FL

Total Wine Boynton
    Total Wine Boca
    Total Wine Wellington
    Due South Growlers
    Funky Buddha Growlers

9. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Princeton's belongs in the top 5.

djsmith1174 likes this.
  10. For those of you coming to the Providence area, be sure to check out the following (in no particular order):

Nikki's Liquors
    Bottles
    High Spirits
    Eno
    Campus Fine Wines

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  11. wrw5031

wrw5031 Savant (285) Georgia Dec 21, 2011

Atlanta GA:

1. Hop City Craft Beer and Wine
    2. Ale Yeah (Decatur)
    3. Green's Ponce De Leon
    4. Green's Buford Highway
    5. Tower Wine and Spirits (off Piedmont)

12. Bergen County, NJ/Rockland County, NY

Cable Beverages - Bardonia, NY (Rockland County): Fantastic selection packed into a tiny basement of a store, you gotta walk sideways down some isles, but it's worth it.
    Growler and Gill - Nanuet, NY (Rockland, County): Nice bottle shop, a little less selection than Cable (though they're only 3 min away from eachother), a nice place to sit down and have a brew. Some nice free tastings on Thurs. nights as well.
    Ramsay Liquors - Ramsay, NJ - Nice selection, though a small section hidden in the back right corner
    Total Wine - River Edge, NJ - Decent beer selection

Can't think of a number 5. I mainly stick to Cable for bottles and Growler and Gill for growler fills if I'm not over at Captain Lawrence brewery.

TongoRad and mbeerdino21 like this.
  13. SavvyStudent

SavvyStudent Savant (255) Texas Oct 29, 2012

Lake Highlands/Lakewood around Dallas, TX

Obviously flooded with options but my go-tos are:
    1. Craft and Growler: a large growler fill list and some rare bottles that cannot find around Dallas. the most local beers in one place.
    2. Bottle Shop Lower Greenville: Weekly tastings and bottle sales that pull in some rare beers
    3. Total Wine off of 75: Huge Pick 6 selection and lowest prices I can find
    4. Specs: It is a monster of choices
    5. Whole Food Park Lane: Growler Fills and very passionate beer group there that try their best to get some stuff no one else can

cwreay90 likes this.
  14. teledeluxe

teledeluxe Savant (390) Illinois Nov 21, 2013

Really tough to order as all are a little different. I go most all of these places for different things.

Chicago, IL (north side):

1. Binny's Lincoln Park (Marcey ST)
    2. Capone's
    3. Beer Temple

The remaining positions could be taken up by: Puerto Rican Food and Liquors, Bottles and Cans, West Lakeview Liquors, Whole Foods Lincoln Park, Andersonville Wine & Spirits, La Primera, Grand and Western Armanetti's, Nevada, Vas Foremost, Irving Park Liquors, Fischman Liquors and Tavern.

Nicest guy award goes to Jr. from Puerto Rican (sorry, Adam). Shitheel award goes to D&D Liquors.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  15. I am sure there are others much better able to give a list for Denver, but here are my personal favorites (not biggest)

1. Mile High Wine & Spirits
    2. Davidson's Liquor
    3. Small Batch Liquor
    4. Mondo Vino
    5. Argonaut

Special Recognition to Philnor Liquor for being an awesome shit hole that I can usually find rare stuff at.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  16. beergoot

beergoot Advocate (570) Colorado Oct 11, 2010

Colorado Springs (in order of personal preference):
    1. Coaltrain Wine and Spirits
    2. Downtown Fine Spirits and Wines
    3. Cheers Liquor Mart
    4. Queen Liquor
    5. Springs Liquor Outlet
    Coaltrain, in particular, offers exceptional service -- friendly, knowledgeable staff -- with a wide and eclectic offering for such a small store. I'm told they're expanding the size of their current location, so I'm hoping their exquisite service and selections grow with them.

17. RusImpStoLuv

RusImpStoLuv Savant (255) Michigan Feb 14, 2014

Grand Rapids, MI
    No particular order but....
    GB Russos
    Kingmas Market
    International Beverage
    Party World
    D. Schulers

18. Charlotte, NC

Brawley's
    Salud
    Good Bottle
    Vintner's
    Harris Teeter Cotswold (for a regular grocery store it's got a great selection)

Rion and surfcaster like this.
  19. Northeast Pennsylvania (Wilkes-Barre/Scranton):

1. Sabatini's Pizza - It's actually a pizza joint with a small bottle section in the takeout area, but his selection is just ridiculous. They can only display about 1/10 of their product. So be sure to ask!
    1A. Krugel's (Georgetown Deli)
    3. J&H Beer
    4. Exit 190
    5. Plaza Beverage - It's almost like a mini Shangy's and it just keeps getting better.

beerdedking likes this.
  20. Because I live in higher Norcal about 2 hours from Bay I won't count them.

Final Gravity (roseville)
    Capitol Beer and taproom
    than probably just
    bevmos
    totalwines
    whole foods

FitnessForBeer likes this.
  21. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Advocate (640) Washington Jan 21, 2014

Fair point! They have a great selection too and sell stuff from their cellar - haven't been there in forever!

Top 5ish Beer Shops in the Seattle Area
    1. The Beer Junction - West Seattle
    2. Malt & Vine - Redmond
    3. Chuck's Hop Shop - Seattle
    4. Bottleworks - Seattle
    5. Redmond Whole Foods - Redmond (yes the selection at this particular store is much better than others')
    6. Metropolitan Market - Kirkland/Seattle (any)
    7. Total Wine - Bellevue (be sure to checkout the growler station for those rare finds w/1 pp limit)

miketd likes this.
  22. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Madison, Wisconsin:

Riley's
    Jenifer Street Market
    Steve's on University
    Star Liquor
    Woodman's (East or West locations)

23. LA area on the house!! Would be hard to say in any particular order-
    1. Bills liquor (Atwater village)
    2. Valley bev co (sherman oaks)
    3. Sunset beer co (echo park)
    4. Select beer store(redondo beach)
    5. Green Jug (woodland hills)

To hell with the big corporation total wine and whole foods - (proffered customers and employees hoarding all the good stuff) asswipes

Very honorable mention of vendome liquors - pasadena and Toluca lake -

Shout out to bills! Love all the staff

24. North Orange County, California:
    some may disagree

Hacienda Beverages
    Vendome Fullerton
    Mr. K's Liquor
    Provisions
    Hollingshead Deli

JohnCassillo and Modernrickk like this.
  25. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Portland, in no particular order:
    • BeerMongers: 500-600 bottles (with some of the lowest prices in town) and 8 rotating taps
    • Saraveza: 300-400 bottles and 9 rotating taps (plus 1 dedicated Hamm's tap)
    • Bridgetown Beer House: 300 or so bottles and 8 rotating taps
    • Hop & Vine: 300-400 bottles, several rotating taps, and a solid menu of cocktails & wines for people who don't like beer
    • Belmont Station: 1,200-1,300 bottles and 23 rotating taps (including a dedicated gluten-free beer tap)
    Honorable mentions and hidden gems that are worth hitting up if you have time:
    • John's Market: 1,200 or so beers. The one issue with John's is that they tend to have a lot of old beer. You can often get lucky and find "pre-aged" stouts, sours, and Belgians, but I'd be wary of anything hoppy that doesn't have a bottle date on it
    • Beaumont Market: Small, under the radar neighborhood place with a walk-in beer cooler full of tasty stuff that has sold out everywhere else in town
    • 1856: Another small hidden gem with a small (but well curated) selection of beer and wine
    • APEX: Technically a beer bar rather than a bottle shop (50 rotating taps), but they have a rather impressive selection of bottles if you're willing to pay exorbitant prices. Want some Cantillon? They'll have some, but it'll cost you $75 (or more) per bottle.
    Full disclosure: I'm the buyer at Belmont Station (so I may be biased), but I think most people who've been here will agree that we deserve to be in the top 5.

shnsajax, NW_IPAHEAD, jmgrub and 3 others like this.
  26. I am not affiliated with any of those establishments and I approve this message.

Edit: I would add Imperial Bottle Shop in there.

27. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (450) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

Crap. I knew I was missing someone. I might almost be inclined to bump Bridgetown in favor of Imperial, simply for the unique concept of offering counter-pressure filled pint bottles of anything on their tap list.

28. Green Bay, WI

1. Ridgeview Liquor
    2. Woodman's Grocery
    3. Superior Discount Liquor
    4. Festival Foods Grocery
    5. Allouez Beer Depot

29. BMMillsy

BMMillsy Advocate (635) Florida Feb 16, 2012

What if we only have 2 shops?

1. Tipples
    2. Gator Beverage
    3. ABC (3 or 4 locations, sometimes get decent things)

30. wjrainer

wjrainer Aficionado (130) Alabama Feb 21, 2014

Greensboro/Winston-Salem:

1. Bestway (Best in Greensboro)
    2. Stella Brew (Best in W-S)
    3. City Beverage
    4. Total Wine
    5. Brewers Kettle

bmilt and dbrauneis like this.
  31. Phoenix, AZ (No particular order)

Tops Liquors/Sun Devil Liquor
    Gilbert Convenient Mart
    Whole Foods - Chandler/Scottsdale
    Total Wine
    Papago

I'm probably forgetting one but can't go wrong here as far as quantity goes...

32. Richmond VA

Corks and Kegs
    Total Wine
    Once Upon a Vine

33. no order
    Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC
    Sam's Quik Stop - Durham
    Peace Street Market - Raleigh
    Carrboro Beverage - Carrboro (adjacent to chapel hill)
    Weaver St. Market (3 locations - chapel hill, carrboro, and hillsborough this is a co-op grocery with good local choices)
    There are three new bottle shops in Raleigh that all sound good, Bottlemixx, Bottle Revolution, and Tasty Beverage Company, that I haven't been to since I moved a little further west.

34. Baltimore, MD:

The Wine Source (best bottle shop right outside the city)
    Honeygo (the staff are fun to talk to and they got the best mix six prices, best mix six place in MD probably)
    Dawsons/Fishpaws (great prices and great selection, they are a package deal being so close to each other)
    Shawan (far from me, but they got a phenomenal sour collection and got a great wall of beer)
    Total Wine Beltway/Laurel (best prices on some of the big bottles, with mix six everything)

Honorable Mentions:
    The Perfect Pour (largest selection outside of State Line, but some crazy prices)
    State Line (largest selection in MD, but I haven't been there)

p.s. No Order

35. Lancaster,PA

1 hunger and thirst( best hard to find selection and best prices)
    2 the fridge (pricey but good)

That's all we got that's good!! Correct me if I'm wrong

bret717 likes this.
  36. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Sorry, I can't give 5 stores since I live in Juneau, if I lived in Anchorage, it would be different.

Just two and that's:

1. Breeze In (three locations, go to Lemon Creek if you want growlers), the one in Douglas has very minimal amount of stuff, but the Valley location, wow, yeah, I couldn't believe what I could find there when I first moved here, heh heh, wow and I'll leave it at that. If ever come to Juneau, take a taxi there. You'll be surprised.
    2. Percy's (downtown easy for the tourists to get to and only place in Juneau with Victory brews [yes, all the way from Pennsylvania]) good selection make sure to walk to the back of the store as they mainly have their liquor up front.

There's actually some others, but its very minimal for the three other stores, so instead, I'll give three restaurants/bars if you don't mind.

3. Hangar on the Wharf (that tap line is about 10 - 12 I think I could be wrong on, something along those lines)
    4. Red Dog Saloon (for gun lovers Wyatt Earp's real guns are hanging there), tapline is about maybe 5 - 6 but mostly Alaskan Brewing Company, I have seen some other craft beers there.
    5. The Island Pub (in Douglas, nice tap line about 12 - 15) and the food is probably the best you'll find in all of Juneau

There's my 5, but there's a part of me that can't pass up on McGivney's (they're in the Valley) as they keep a good 10 micro taps open at all times (haha, I think a lot of the locals don't want me to say that, but oh well), I spilled my beans for the advocacy of beer.

Gee weez, after looking over most of everybody else's list, sigh, Juneau really doesn't have the quantity as other places in the U.S. However, I'm glad I there's a good quality of brews I can find.

russpowell, jefffalcone and HoppySeb like this.
  37. BeerKangaroo

BeerKangaroo Initiate (0) Alaska May 30, 2011

Jealous as I've heard many good things about your area. Please take it as a good jealous! Cheers! :)

38. I totally agree with your list. Cable is king for me. Whole Foods @ Bergen Town Center in Paramus has a pretty decent selection too

39. JMS1512

JMS1512 Advocate (550) New Jersey Feb 18, 2013

Stanhope, NJ

Shoprite Liquors in Byram, NJ
    Sandy's in Budd Lake, NJ
    Wine Country in Hackettstown, NJ
    Bottle King in Ledgewood, NJ
    Burke's in Sparta, NJ

These are in no particular order.

bbpro47 likes this.
  40. jiggidy

jiggidy Savant (315) Michigan Dec 18, 2013