1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Top Cellarable Beers

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky, Mar 11, 2013.

1. In my short time on BA I've noticed that it's a common occurence for someone to ask, "what beers should I cellar?" Could a list or sticky similar to the Top 250 Beers be generated for beers that age well? There could be a field in the existing beer review form under cellaring that allows users to rate their experience aging that brew. A really simple three or four choice scale would work.

Feasible? Crazy?

2. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Dogfish Head Fort and Worldwide Stout.

davey101, t8000shx and willandperry like this.
  3. TomTwanks

TomTwanks Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

WWS, 120, Doggie Claws, Bigfoot, almost any gueze from 3f, Tilquin, Cantillon, etc..

4. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

I'm going to throw this out there, aged Brown Shugga is awesome.

5. mocktm

mocktm Savant (365) Virginia Jan 3, 2011

Dark Lord, Expedition, Stone RIS...

6. Brew33

Brew33 Advocate (610) Ohio Oct 24, 2007

I have a couple I stashed away a few years back. Excited to try one. Maybe tonight's the night.

7. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

Did anyone even read the OP's post???

8. sweemzander

sweemzander Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 26, 2009

So far in my experiences, there are few stouts out there that are more rewarding when aged compared to Bells Expedition

Bay01 and mikecharley like this.
  9. Soonami

Soonami Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

It could work but there is so much variability in different peoples cellaring conditions that the quality of the beer could be drastically different after the same period of time. Furthermore, there is a lost a lot of bottle variation within a year.

I think what you'll find is that the following beers will score very high: Gueuze, Fruit Lambic, RIS, Barleywines, and American Wilds. Flanders Reds, American Strong Ales, Stronger Porters and Scotch Ales will get mentioned too.

10. Haha thanks, I didn't want to say anything... although I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm! :)

I think that's very true, but there is just as much variability in BAs' palettes when they are reviewing fresh beer. It's all a matter of opinion ultimately. I figure that the volume of reviews would settle most outliers in the statistics and you'd still end up with a reasonably accurate portrait of whether certain beers can be cellared.

albertq17, kemoarps and Ish1 like this.
  11. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

You're going to get wildly different answers based on palates, but here are mine, verifiable by the volume of each shadowing my basement:

Deschutes The Abyss
    Deschutes Black Butte
    Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Barleywine
    Weyerbacher's Anniversary series (13, 14, 16)
    Surly Darkness

12. Ive had expierence with WWS and I agree, it ages fantastic. Im curious to see how fort ages, I have a bottle ageing. Does the fruit fall off? What ages have you tasted them at and how did they change?

13. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

I had a 2006 version back in 2010 and it was amazing. The alcohol cools down a lot making it drinkable but there was plenty of fruit flavor. I currently have a 2011 in my cellar that I'm not opening for quite a while.

14. Soonami

Soonami Savant (455) Pennsylvania Jul 16, 2008

There is enough variability in people's palate's that adding to it the variability in the quality of the beer might be too much to make the data meaningful.

15. zrab11

zrab11 Advocate (505) Indiana Dec 25, 2010

I think 250 beers might be too many.. But I could easily see a list of the top 50 beers that are prime candidates for cellaring like expedition, big foot and stone ris..

Cellaring is done for the sole purpose of changing a beer to fit each persons opinion on how they like a beer to taste.. So it would be hard to get a master list of cellaring beers as taste is subjective to each person.

As I prefer kbs with age as I like more Bourbon than coffee. And many others prefer it fresh.

But I feel as if u could get 25-50 that everyone agrees on changing for the better or at least have the most significant change noticeable to all beer drinkers! Like the 3 I listed above.

16. I think adding an option to the review section is a good idea. There's already an option for serving type, and the other site has an option for location on-tap/for sale. Add a field for vintage when you review. Then if BA would release all the raw data, you could parse all kinds of stuff - determine how ratings change for, say, 08 Dark Lord compared to 12 Dark Lord; determine highest rating given difference between vintage and year of the rating (IE highest rating at 1 year old regardless of vintage); even a simple count of reviews of various age - if Expedition has hundreds of vintage reviews, that suggests it probably ages reasonably well.

However, I think there's zero chance any of this happens on the bros' side.

17. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

North Coast Old Stock Ale is built to be cellared. I wouldn't even consider opening it fresh.

18. I was so excited, until I read the last sentence :oops:

Ish1 likes this.
  19. I'm pumped I have a lot of these cellaring. Cantillon gueuze, IRS, and I've had a bunch of the others mention aged.

I read OPs post, too much effort for me with my small cellar lol. Would be cool to see though since there are enough people to make a meaningful list I'd imagine. No different than fresh reviews IMO, all sorts of variability.

20. I had a two year old Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald.
    It blew my mind.

21. Yeah. I'd love it if there was more info available. If the other site can include availability info, why can't BA? Why can't there be an optional price field when you review, so you can specify what you paid for it if you want? Lots of stuff like this.

Even better would be if BA made their database available for people to analyze. I'm not holding my breath for that one, either. If the info were available I think it'd be fascinating to look at how the top 100 list has changed over the past few years. Or set my own review # threshold to generate what I feel would be a more realistic top 100 list, or some other constraints. All kinds of analysis that would be interesting and fun, but I have no hope that the database is going to be made public.

22. What do you do for a living?

23. drbenzo

drbenzo Savant (365) California Jul 13, 2005

One of my favorite beers to cellar is Stone IRS. Its inexpensive and ages very well... Also, I have had some good quads aged, Stoic comes to mind...

24. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

How about this, What's the best way to cellar a brew?

25. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

Just had a 2005 wws last weekend. Was great. Smooth as shit.
    Fort... However. Had a 2006 a few years ago and was a cardboard bomb. Way oxydized.

26. Lutter

How was it stored? I have a 2006 and now I'm scared, lol.

27. crusian

Fridge. Was found at a store.

28. In Texas ? Perhaps NOT stored under ideal conditions prior to purchase ...

29. zrab11

zrab11 Advocate (505) Indiana Dec 25, 2010

Don't be scared.. I have popped 3 2006 forts in the past 7 months. The most recent being in January and it was a delicious raspberry alcohol bomb! So you should still be good!

30. crusian

You don't know me. I get maybe 2% of my beers from Texas. I travel for work.
    The wws and the fort came from the same place. One was amazing, one terrible. Probably the bottle. I have another to try later.

31. I have only had Fort once and have to say it was amazing

32. I also have a 2011 Fort hanging around. The wife likes it a lot as is but you think it will get better with age? 3-4 years maybe? longer?

33. Electrical engineer. <3 data analysis, though usually I also generate the data.

34. YoDude

YoDude Aficionado (170) Illinois Nov 21, 2008

Drinking a vintage 2012 right now and it is amazing. That's why they have the 4-pack, one for now and the others for later.

35. Lutter

Well, they also found that 3-packs are kinda awkward to carry.

HighWine likes this.
  36. strangebrew321

strangebrew321 Savant (370) Indiana Feb 18, 2009

It's been almost a week, and still none of the responses have been towards the OP's statement.
    btw, tonight I've had Sun King Osiris, Monster 29, CW BBBW, and 2013 Bigfoot with about 2 ounces of CW BBBW left in the glass. Tasted like what I was hoping BA Bigfoot tasted like..... man was that beer a letdown.

37. Jake1605

Jake1605 Initiate (0) Missouri Nov 24, 2009

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron
    Bell's Expedition

38. Skrypt

Skrypt Savant (355) Florida Mar 8, 2010

That's really great to hear. I bought a couple bottles having never heard of it. Wasn't too impressed so I cellared the rest. How long did you age yours?

39. sweemzander

sweemzander Advocate (500) Illinois Mar 26, 2009

Honestly, it is all up to personal taste and preference, but I have enjoyed it as young as a year old to almost 5 years old. . . . liked it better and better as it got older.

Again, this is just how I like it. Might be different from your tastes. If you have a couple bottles, drink one a year apart from each other and you will find what age you like it best at.