1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Top Craft Beer Region in The U.S.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jRocco2021, Feb 5, 2013.

?

What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?

1. Great Lakes

29.9%
  2. Mid-Atlantic

4.7%
  3. Midwest

7.6%
  4. Mountain

3.8%
  5. New England

16.9%
  6. Northwest

11.0%
  7. Pacific

18.2%
  8. South

1.5%
  9. South-Atlantic

4.7%
  10. Southwest

1.7%
  1. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (405) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

I can't fix the biased but I can fix the poll so lets try this again.

Regions
    Great Lakes: IL, IN, MI, OH, WI
    Mid-Atlantic: DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, D.C.
    Midwest: IA, KS, MN, MO, NE, ND, SD
    Mountain: CO, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY
    New England: CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT
    Northwest: AK, OR, WA
    Pacific: CA, HI
    South: AL, AR, KY, LA, MS, TN
    South-Atlantic: FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, WV
    Southwest: AZ, NM, OK, TX

Vote in the Poll and state your case.

mellowmark likes this.
  2. Voted New England (yes, I'm biased). My case.

Home of Beeradvocate (and the beerfests), Ebenezers, Heady Topper and Hill Farmstead.

3. Uhhhhh Vermont

MLaVioletteJr likes this.
  4. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Poobah (1,115) Arizona Jun 18, 2002

We should make it pacific & pacific NW as ONE category. Slam dunk.

5. That'd be tough to beat.......California and Oregon alone seal the deal.

6. MrKsBeer

MrKsBeer Initiate (0) Massachusetts Mar 31, 2009

It's a toss up for me between Northwest and Northeast, but I went Northeast. Sam Adams is responsible for an unbelievable amount of craft beer drinkers in and of itself. Add to that Magic Hat #9, Harpoon IPA, Allagash White, Heady Topper, Long Trail Double Bag, Mayflower Porter, Ipswitch IPA, Smuttynose OBD... New England is an incredible region for beer.

NHhomebrewguy and JoeyDankNug like this.
  7. harperman69

harperman69 Savant (355) Tennessee Feb 11, 2009

I live in the South region, so no bias coming from me. I voted Pacific.

I assumed (incorrectly I might add) that Oregon was in Pacific so crap. If I could vote over, I would probably go Great Lakes.

Larkin4beer likes this.
  8. harperman69

I would have agreed somewhat until you added Magic Hat and Harpoon.

atoulouk likes this.
  9. They are highly responsible for the craft beer explosion.even if you take those 2 out add hill farmstead Lawson's finest and Maine beer company

NHhomebrewguy and HRamz3 like this.
  10. harperman69

I'm not disputing the region. I just got my first Hill Farmstead beers in a trade today and I already have a Lawson's, so it definitely in the running. Maybe I don't know enough about the history of Magic Hat or Harpoon, because tbh, I had no clue they were that influential.

11. johnkale

johnkale Aficionado (215) Wisconsin Dec 19, 2009

I'm a total homer, but New Glarus, 3 Floyds, Jolly Pumpkin, Founders, Bell's, Central Waters, Half Acre, Goose Island, Great Lakes, Dark Horse, etc... I don't know, it seems like it makes sense. The wonderful thing is that I know that all parts of the country are producing great beer, so why not extol the beer you get freshest.

Zaphog, Timbermutt and Larkin4beer like this.
  12. Borkinator

Borkinator Zealot (80) Vermont Mar 2, 2011

Going to have to give it to the northeast because of Vermont

NHhomebrewguy and jRocco2021 like this.
  13. CLively

CLively Aficionado (175) Maine Feb 8, 2011

Its all almost the same at this point isn't it? In the last 5 years the explosion has brought great craft beer all across the USA...and with excellent brewers and new breweries opening up everywhere and all the time, America is carpeted with good beer. :D

DemoniChris, nolanz14, Tuey13 and 4 others like this.
  14. MrKsBeer

MrKsBeer Initiate (0) Massachusetts Mar 31, 2009

99/100 times, if I give a BMC drinker a #9 or a Harpoon UFO White, it will change their drinking habits completely. I've converted more Bud Light drinkers to craft beer with Magic Hat than I can possibly count. I'm not saying it's the greatest beer in the world, but it has definitely carved out a place for itself as the stepping stone brew. I give them much respect for that.

15. yemenmocha

LOL someone voted Southwest.

They must have thought San Diego was in that zone or something? :confused:

Beer_lover89, jglowe77 and jRocco2021 like this.
  16. I'm in NH but I'm also realistic. It's the Great Lakes, with the way he described the breakdown, by a pretty wide margin:

Founders, Bell's, New Glarus, Goose Island, 3 Floyds, Central Waters, Revolution, Perennial, Half Acre, Jackie O's, Dark Horse, Jolly Pumpkin, etc.

Followed by California/Hawaii: Russian River, Alpine, Lost Abbey, Kern River, Alesmith, Ballast Point, 50/50, Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, etc.

Closely followed by New England: Hill Farmstead, the Alchemist, Lawsons, Cambridge, Allagash, Maine Beer Company, Jack's Abbey, Sam Adams, etc.

Again closely followed by Northwest and Mountain: Northwest:Hair of the Dog, Midnight Sun, Deschuttes, Anchorage, Pelican, Logsdon, etc. Mountain: Avery, Great Divide, Crooked Stave, Dry Dock, Funkwerks, New Belgium, Odell, etc.

Inglewood and CaptCleveland like this.
  17. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Sure, if we can make the Great Lakes and Midwest one category. ;)

18. Chris, are you running for office or something;)!

jglowe77 and CLively like this.
  19. My question is are we talking about the best as far as PRODUCING craft beer or the best as far as the craft beer scene (i.e. best/most craft beer bars, most wide acceptance of craft beer, etc.)?

20. jRocco2021

All things should be considered, which is why I posed the question as I did. Availibility, festivals, the breweries and beers themselves etc. everything.
    What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?

21. jRocco2021

I'm surprised Mountains hasn't gotten more votes even if for no other reason than it includes CO.

Larkin4beer likes this.
  22. yemenmocha

Fine with me. Separate poll: Pacific & Pac NW vs... Great Lakes & Midwest
    (and why isn't it in the midwest anyway?)

23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Colorado homer. I've traded for all those hype bombs out there, and the only two we dont produce here in Co that is at least as good as the shit I traded for has been heady and juicy. That being said everything else I have tried from founders, bell's, new glarus, FFF, sun king, cigar city, clown shoes, (insert big name brewery here) has been equalled or surpassed by it's Colorado counter part. Shit, there are so many stellar brews here that I have pretty much quit trading with the exception of a friend in NY. Most of the phenom brews that are made here don't get much distro. Trinity brewing, Crooked stave, Dry Dock, Funkwerks, Prost, TrVe, River north, Elevation all have small distribution areas that prevent them from gaining the noteriety of walez. And, at the end of the day, all the big brewers from across the nation come to my hometown once a year and drag all their kegs with them for a week long of beer fueled hedonism called the GABF.

jRocco2021 and Larkin4beer like this.
  24. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

I kinda wish the OP just used the four regions instead of splitting it up in it's divisions like that.

yemenmocha likes this.
  25. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

BEST BEER ZIPCODE GO !1!1

26. seplo

seplo Savant (455) Connecticut Sep 8, 2009

I voted New England but the Great Lakes and Pacific are awesome too....CHEERS

27. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Great Lakes. Just look in the forums. ;)

28. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Best craft beer culture? Pacific NW. There is no craft beer here, it's just called beer. And it's everywhere. Home to some of the oldest microbreweries in the country. When I hear people talking about breweries back East founded in the '90s supposedly "starting the craft beer explosion," I do a facepalm.

Best beer producing region? Pacific (i.e., California). They produce more beers that more of us are drinking than any other region. Some prolific muthafukkas.

Most outspoken region with an inflated view of its relative importance in the scheme of things? Great Lakes, easily. ;)

29. If this is your criteria, I stand by the Northeast. Not sure where the Northeast ranks in terms of availability, but the Extreme Beerfest is here next week, I believe Hill Farmstead is the number one ranked brewery by ratings, Heady Topper is the number one rated beer, and Ebenezer's is the number one ranked beer bar in the country.

And finally, two words. Waterbury. Vermont.

JoeyDankNug likes this.
  30. jRocco2021

Regions in the poll are copied directly from the BA forums page. All regional disputes can be directed towards BA.

31. Homer pride - Pacific.

32. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (785) Washington May 12, 2005

These threads make me want to drink more wine.

Ps. Vermont makes shitty wine

33. Depends on the style mostly.
    RIS from the Mid-West (Founders, GI, FFF, Surly)
    IPA/IIPA from Pacific (RR, Bootleggers, Stone, Lagunitas, SN, FW, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Bear Republic, etc...)
    Barleywine from the Mid-Atlantic (Weyerbacher Insanity, Victory Oak Horizontal, ST Oak Backburner, DFH Olde School, Smuttynose Barleywine, Troegs Flying Mouflan, East End Gratitude, Brooklyn Monster, Pretty Things Our Finest Regards... etc...)

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  34. Teleweizen2

Teleweizen2 Savant (405) New Jersey Oct 27, 2009

I voted mid-atlantic (shocker) mostly because I live in Jersey, 20 minutes from NYC, an hour from PA, and 6 hours from VT for Alchemist and Hill Farmstead. Yeah I like my area just fine. Oh and 8 hours from my other favorite beer area North Carolina, always a good time down that way.

ryancuth likes this.
  35. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Yes, and that's why it isn't one region anymore. Gives those little itty bitty regions a chance

draheim likes this.
  36. mudbug

I'll put this out there. The majority of BA's (just check the Ba's online) are from the East and Midwest The regions as defined in BA have, up until recently, put the PNW in with California. We in the PNW have been shorted for quite a long time. Most of our beers don't get a wide distribution (We tend to drink them all up) Just you wait, we are new and powerfully (drunk) Things will change by God! Release the Kraken!

Jake1605 and maltmaster420 like this.
  37. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Move along folks. This guy's clearly had too many crappy infected homegrown Oregon beers. There's nothing up here any of you would want. Now get back to your truck-chasing, line-cutting, ticket-buying ways.

38. mudbug

Ya, and it rains all the time and dogs die from mold. go away

maltmaster420 likes this.
  39. Not in your categories but San Diego and Portland.

40. Stop deleting threads. I spent 20 minutes on my analysis last night and the damn thing is in the trash, now!

MrDave likes this.