1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Top Craft Beer Region in The U.S.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jRocco2021, Feb 5, 2013.

?

What is the best all around region for Craft beer in The United States?

1. Great Lakes

29.9%
  2. Mid-Atlantic

4.7%
  3. Midwest

7.6%
  4. Mountain

3.8%
  5. New England

16.9%
  6. Northwest

11.0%
  7. Pacific

18.2%
  8. South

1.5%
  9. South-Atlantic

4.7%
  10. Southwest

1.7%
  1. PaulyB83

PaulyB83 Advocate (525) Michigan Sep 1, 2013

Was gonna vote Great Lakes but Russian River, The Lost Abbey, The Bruery, and Firestone Walker will make me pick Pacific every time.

2. An unscientific look is to total GABF medal points per region. Mountain comes out on top, then Pacific.

3. ititani

ititani Aficionado (125) Illinois Aug 19, 2013

The Great Lakes is booming quickly. In the Chicagoland area, they are coming in hot.

4. Drink fresh, drink local. I'm sure the great lakes and other regions make great beer, but half of them don't ship to the Boston, MA area. New Glarus used to ship something called a raspberry wheat? Great stuff.

5. Wormtown
    Tree House
    Smuttynose
    NEBCO

I agree, voted New England because I'm a homer. Tough to argue with Pacific. But New England is a solid 2nd.

6. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

For me, the Smoked Porter is the only "good" beer from Alaskan, otherwise they're just New Belgium. No-Li doesn't make any real bad beers, but I'm never excited to see them on tap. I've never had Mogli, but not really cared for the other Caldera stuff I've had. Rogue does still put out a few decent brews, but at their price points, I rarely consider them. We don't see Walking Man up here much anymore, but the few times I've had it, it was a shell of it's former self. WM used to be soooo good. That Black Cherry Stout was a personal favorite. Last time I had it, it was very thin and no cherry flavor.

7. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,120) Washington Sep 24, 2007

You mean the Great COLORADO Beer Festival, don't you? There's about 2500 breweries in the USA these days, and only about 600 get in to GABF. The entry SNAFU this year kept a lot of previous winners out. Looks like CP and Co. are getting a bit worried about their fiefdom.

8. [Unscientific"beertunes, post: 1823917, member: 160720"]You mean the Great COLORADO Beer Festival, don't you? There's about 2500 breweries in the USA these days, and only about 600 get in to GABF. The entry SNAFU this year kept a lot of previous winners out. Looks like CP and Co. are getting a bit worried about their fiefdom.[/quote]

Unscientific. The growth is causing stress to many competitions. NHC is going to a lottery next year, as only so many entries can be judged.

9. tzieser

tzieser Initiate (0) Arizona Nov 21, 2006

Forgot about Wormtown and NEBCO! Smutty deserves a spot too. Haven't tried Tree House yet.

You could also add Baxter, White Birch, Pretty Things, Slumbrew, CBC, etc. I almost forgot about Olde Burnside (Ten Penny, when properly stored and served, might be the best scottish ale in the country!)

Thanks man, I definitely could've spent a lot more time making the list, it was just a quick run through of some good breweries I knew were from NE. The NY/Mid-Atlantic region isn't too bad either (NY has Ommegang, Sixpoint, Southern Tier, Middle Ages, Brooklyn, etc.)! My parents live in NJ and I have been loving some of the new breweries popping up in the region.....Carton, Kane and Climax have been doing some great things

10. slobes

slobes Zealot (90) Massachusetts Jan 3, 2009

+1 for NE. There's nothing like drinking beers that compliment the seasons. Besides, where else can you get a Maple Tripple?

11. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (460) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

Because the poll just generally asked for best all around craft beer region and didn't specifically say breweries from a region, I voted for the voted Mid-Atlantic primarily for the fantastic distribution, PA/NJ in particular, and we've got plenty of respectable local breweries as well. During Philly Beer Week you can get Hill Farmstead and Russian River on tap (considered by many the best of the east and west) and then hit up locals like Victory or Tired Hands in the same day. I don't need to compare brewery lists or medals with other regions, because their best brewers are already coming to my doorstep. :p

jRocco2021 likes this.
  12. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Savant (395) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2010

Finally someone with the right idea. I wish everyone would have voted like you did.

Ranbot likes this.
  13. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Just to point out how good the region is, you didn't even include 2013 GABF gold winners like Bend Brewing, Barley Browns, Old Town Brewing, and Ninkasi.

14. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Never mind. I was mistaken. PNW sucks balls. Move along, nothing to see here.

zestd likes this.
  15. hopsbreath

hopsbreath Savant (475) Oregon Aug 28, 2009

Other breweries sucking balls include 10 Barrel, Everybody's, Solera, Flat Tail, Migration, Burnside, Fort George, Occidental, Worthy, Coalition...even the soon to be opened Ecliptic is sure to blow. Is there ANYTHING worth drinking out here?

draheim likes this.
  16. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Sadly, our only option is to trade all this undrinkable swill for real beer from far away, where they know how to brew.

hopsbreath likes this.

17. okay. Minus Rogue and Red Hook. PNW FTW

18. OBinPB

OBinPB Zealot (90) California Jan 26, 2008

The good news is, everywhere is better than 5 years ago. But everyone is still trying to catch up to San Diego County - the Mecca IMHO. That being said, I was impressed with a recent trip to Vermont. Crazy craft beer culture up there. it's getting better all the time! Cheers!

19. MIbeerGUY

MIbeerGUY Zealot (75) Michigan Sep 18, 2012

Man trying to pick between the MidWest, Pacific, NW, NE, and Great Lakes is kind of mind bending.

I was trying to be bias and vote for my region, but accidentally hit MidWest. Wait am i not in the MidWest? Ok Im getting confused. Is there an official map with boundaries?

20. mweb08

mweb08 Disciple (70) Delaware Mar 19, 2008

Pacific for me with Russian River, Stone, The Bruery, Firestone Walker, Sierra Nevada, Ballast Point, Lost Abbey, Green Flash, and Lagunitas being the main reasons why. Those first 3 are in my top 5 or so breweries, so that makes it hard to beat. That said, I still need to drink some more beer from some of the other most highly rated breweries to fairly judge them, including a few of the Great Lakes region breweries.

21. In this instance, Missouri is counted as Midwest and Illinois is Great Lakes. That leaves you with Kentucky and Tennessee. So, if you feel that Kentucky and Tennessee along with Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Arkansas can hold a candle to the Great Lakes, the Pacific or New England, great. I don't know about the rest of this region, but Louisiana is easily the worst state I've lived in as far as beer culture and distribution goes (the other two states I've lived in were Delaware and Florida). I just thank my lucky stars that I happen to be in New Orleans where LA's best brewery, NOLA, resides as well as the best beer bar in the state, Avenue Pub. I have heard that there are some good breweries in Tennessee, they just don't get a lot of buzz on BA. I'm pretty sure that all the Mississippians and Alabamans will agree with me though when I say that their respective states are quite lame (with perhaps the exception of Good People in Alabama, I hear they're all right). I have no clue what Arkansas contributes.

22. He makes a great point. Never thought I'd be so eager to get back to Delaware!

23. Ranbot

Ranbot Savant (460) Pennsylvania Nov 27, 2006

I can buy beers from all of those Pacific breweries at my local Philadelphia-area stores and I've had all their stuff on tap as well, including their limited releases. I've also purchased Bell's Hopslam within 10 days of bottling at a store less than 3 miles from my home. So I repeat...
    ...and the Mid-Atlantic has plenty of their own brewers to brag about too.

24. Sup? :)

Immortale25 and jRocco2021 like this.
  25. Hahaha. I guess I should've figured it was you, one of the most active BAs in Louisiana. I will not call you a liar sir, but rather offer to buy you a beer as an apology to make up for my misdirected threat of slander.

26. In reality it's just wishful thinking :)

Where in Louisiana are you, by the way?

27. mweb08

mweb08 Disciple (70) Delaware Mar 19, 2008

Yeah, I live in Newark, DE, so I'm well aware that Philly is an elite beer city. That said, it's still hard/next to impossible to get certain beers in this area that I could get pretty easily where I used to live in SoCal. I'm also a fan of going to breweries and favor SoCal in that regard.

But sure, there's some good breweries around here and I visit some of them pretty often.

28. Heard that. I'm from Milton/Rehoboth Beach area and am most likely returning for a while this Xmas. I'll probably take a trip up to Philly and/or Baltimore when I'm there. Did a barhop during Philly beer week back in 2011 and had a blast so I'm anxious to get back to the places I went and hit up the places I missed. Never been to California so I guess ignorance is bliss, though I've tasted Firestone Walker's stuff as well as a couple Port Brewing offerings so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm missing.

29. It seems you've started a precedent though cuz the South is now up to 6 votes.