1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Top Favorite Beers in India

Discussion in 'Asia' started by Kaseyvinterberg, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Kaseyvinterberg

Kaseyvinterberg Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2012

There are various beer in the Indian market and these are the top favorite and are mostly sold.

Stella Artois - Nobody can challenge the Belgians. The six-century-old Belgian brew comes with the light; full-bodied taste which is has all the beer worth in the world.
    Hoegaarden - This creamy Belgian wheat beer hits the top of the charts as it comes with its hints of orange peel, coriander and spice.

Asahi – Real clean, crisp and dry beer is manufactured with yeast, ingredients and technology that all live up to impossibly high Japanese standards.

Foster Beer – The Australian beer with a rewarding vibe from its home country, this lager is full-bodied, malty and eminently drinkable.

Heineken- Heinekin is a Dutch (Holland) based company. The product they are most famous for is a German Pilsner style beer. The toasted malts and mild fruitiness of this pale gold lager make it a favorite among the youth.

Kingfisher – Kingfisher is more famous for the glamour and aplomb hinting to the high lifestyle choice. And this light, refreshing beverage is a choice we can get behind.

Peroni – This is an Italian lager, like Mama’s recipe for bolognaise sauce, is still brewed as it was back in 1963.

Budweiser - Beyond its fresh, light taste, the single best reason to drink Bud is to transport you back to those good old college days.

Schneider Weisse – Is a full-bodied, slightly fruity with a mild bitter aftertaste – the perfect way to wash down all that bratwurst.
    Other than these top beers even Kings Beer, Tiger Beer, London Pride, Kotsberg, San Miguel Pale Pilsen is also trying to make it on to the chart and they are popular in some regions of India.

romita likes this.
  2. What a pile of crap.
  3. BeerSingh

BeerSingh Savant (405) India Jul 25, 2009

Kaseyvinterberg, these are definitely some of the beers available in India, but how about the following which you have not mentioned - Chimay, Saison Dupont, Kriek DeRanke, Flying Dog Double Dog and Snake Dog, Rogue Mocha Porter, Dead Guy Ale, Brutal Bitter and St Rogue, St Feuillien, Christoffel, Orval...???
    Centennial likes this.
  4. I didn't go to any swanky bars in India but all I remember seeing was Kingfisher and King's Black Label. The latter tasted heavily of actual washing detergent. Almost 50% of the beer I drank had gone off.
  5. JanM

JanM Savant (335) Sweden Apr 9, 2004

The Indian beer market is developing! It reminds me of a beer tasting event in Kerala that I participated in about four years ago. The report was posted in this forum back then and now is maybe a good time to recapitulate?

"On the evening of January 14, 2009, a small group of men met at The First Place hotel in Odayam, near Varkala, Kerala. It was possibly the first organized beer tasting event in India reported on BA. The line up: Haywards 2000, Haywards 5000, Zingaro, UB Ice Beer, London No1 Strong, Hercules, Kalyani Black Label, and Royal Challenge. All purchased in Varkala's rowdy Government liqour shop and served chilled from glass bottles. The task was to see if any of them could provide a drinkable alternative to Kingfisher.

Two beers proved to be skunked and had to be excluded: Haywards 5000 (tasting like a wet newspaper) and Kalyani Black Label (tasting like a sweaty gymfloor). The host pulled another 5000 from the fridge but unfortunately it was skunked too. It was a shame since we wanted to compare the 2000 to the 5000 as we have had difficulties in determining the difference between them (except the number 3000).

It should be clear that none of these beers would reach above ground in BA's ranking system and that smells and taste notes had to be excavated carefully.

Haywards 2000: Golden yellow colour, hardly any foam. Sweet smell with some fruit and citrus, dishrag. Watery taste, lacks body. Traces of bread and pears, perhaps a sharp bitterness at the end.

Haywards 5000 (excluded): Golden yellow colour, no foam. Smells like the 2000 but with a touch of alcohol. Taste = musty!

Zingaro: Pale yellow colour, smelling like peach and smarties. Fruity taste, like candy, a little gassy. Not a total lack of body, rounding off nicely.

UB Ice Beer: Pale Golden colour, not much smell, perhaps some "natural flavours" like melon or pear ice cream. The taste is dry and bitter with citrus and a hoppy finishing bite.

London No1 Strong: Copper yellow colour, not much foam. Smelling toffee and caramelized malts, alcohol. The taste is watery with some weak acid and honey notes. No body and the taste collapses into nothing. Smells a lot better than it tastes.

Hercules: Dark golden colour, hardly any smell except for metal. Quickly disappearing foam, sour smell. Tastes flowery and sweet with some citrus.

Kalyani Black Label (excluded): Smells like sweaty feet and dandelion. Golden yellow color, little foam. Skunked.

Royal Challenge: Pale yellow colour with a sour and citric smell. Tasting like paper followed by a pilsnerish note.

Final Ranking: 1. UB Ice Beer, 2. Zingaro, 3. Hercules, 4. London No1 Strong, 5. Haywards 2000, 6. Royal Challenge.

Comment: In comparison UB Ice Beer and Zingaro (both produced by United Breweries) seem to be of a better quality than the other beers in the line-up. They are certainly alternatives to the generic Kingfisher."
    BeerSingh likes this.
  6. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Note to self: Do not move to India if Budweiser is amongst their "best" beers.

Hey Kaseyvinterberg, have you heard anything about Independence Brewing in Pune? I don't think they've started brewing yet, but they've got Greg Koch as one of their co-founders.
    Centennial likes this.
  7. Ummm... India is NOT the place you want to be as a beer drinker. Kingfisher has pretty well cornered the market, and it is a poor beer. Fosters and Carlsberg are Indian brewed knock-offs.

Basically, what it boils down to is Kingfisher and its pilsener clones and the ubiquitous 'Strong Beer' alternatives, which certainly are stronger, but benefit from being mixed with 7-UP to kill the dreadful taste. Example, 'Knock Out!" strong beer. Best of luck in India!
  8. I found the best tipple was a strong beer mixed with a Sprite. No decent beers but some interesting wines these days. Visit some low dive bars to see real Indian drinking culture.
    40cl of hard booze (40%abv+, a splash of mixer (in poser places) and then down in two chugs. Remember this when getting a auto-rickshaw :) because the drivers like to stop for a little "Pick Me Up".
    skivtjerry likes this.
  9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Champion (875) Colorado May 19, 2005

Where the heck did you get Sprite? It took 3 months to find Mountain Dew, and another month to get Lion beer :)
  10. I found both sprite and 7up in a lot of places in southern India. A lot of 'local bars' sell the best range of mixers :) but they are not places that you would necessary want to stop for a drink in.
    Centennial likes this.
  11. This does not bode well. Not well at all.
  12. bhollas

bhollas Zealot (80) Texas Aug 29, 2011

I'm going to Chennai in two weeks, any great places to check out in that area for beer? What about Dubai?