1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Top of the Hops, an IPA bracket challenge

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CASK1, Apr 8, 2013.

1. CASK1

CASK1 Savant (345) Florida Jan 7, 2010

2. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

Very interesting, here's the full bracket for all interested:
    [​IMG]

I was most intrigued by Racer 5 beating Sculpin 6-1, and Uinta Hop Notch beating GF West Coast IPA 5-2.
    dar482 and dbrauneis like this.
  3. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Agreed - I was very surprised to see the Racer 5 vs. Sculpin not be a lot closer than that.
    creepinjeeper and dar482 like this.
  4. FremontBar

FremontBar Savant (270) Arizona Feb 1, 2013

This was interesting, thanks for sharing. Hop Notch is my go to standard IPA.
    creepinjeeper likes this.
  5. The southwest bracket was stacked!
    BigBarley likes this.
  6. Ho Hum. Another poll with someone else's personal opinion. Why did I even bother opening the thread? Cause I have no clue what Paste Magazine is...and I still don't.
    GRG1313, Christov, miketd and 2 others like this.
  7. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Jai Alai would have been my choice. Ever since I had my first one a few weeks ago I have been hooked. I have 5 left in the fridge and will be extremely sad once I finish them. Not only is it a refreshing drink that is a lot more sessionable than the 7.5% ABV would have you believe, it goes amazing with many food pairings. Spicy dishes benefit the most from being paired with a Jai Alai. Hopefully some day soon, CCB will distribute to Chicago so I can have this all the time. It is my go-to IPA.
    beerindaglass likes this.
  8. Was the first round the only one that was blind tasting?
  9. No Flower Power. I love Union Jack, and I don't think that they would have chosen Flower Power anyways, but it's a damn shame it wasn't given a chance.

Also, big ups to Straight to Ale's Monkeynaut making into competition.
  10. Ell

Ell Aficionado (150) Alabama Mar 17, 2009

STA's Monkeynaut is a very nice IPA.

I'm really shocked there's not more talk about the showing Good People IPA had. These guys are making some seriously good beer in Alabama. If you haven't had their beers, do what you can to get some now. IPA, Snakehandler (DIPA), Pale, and Coffee Oatmeal Stout are their best beers, and they're as good as most breweries on the west coast (IMHO).

And, I thought all the rounds were blind. Did someone see something different from that?
  11. Another Ho Hum. Like every poll there is, someone thinks something or someone was left out. This time, there's no Flower Power in the Northeast bracket. It's 7.5%, right on the cutoff line, it isn't called a double or imperial IPA and it's one of the best IPAs in the Northeast. Why isn't it there? Because like every poll, it's subjective to the poll taker/maker. Polls are for losers.
    cavedave and adkrogue like this.
  12. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

That is pretty interesting, great find! It's good to see two of my everyday beers make it to the final 4! I always have 2 Hearted and Jai Alai's in my fridge, It's a must.
  13. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

What's the shelf life on Jai Alai? I got 12 via trade last month, and I thought it was pretty middle of the road. Of course, my generous trader (sarcasm font) sent me a 6 pack canned in November and sixer from mid December. He said shelf life was 4 months. Trying to figure out if it just isn't my favorite brew or if I didn't get a proper representation.
  14. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Sounds like some sour grapes, or should I say hops?
  15. Love me some Jai Alai! Wish I could get it in SC.

16. Abytehead

Abytehead Aficionado (130) New York Feb 26, 2006

Odells is one of my favorites. Unfortunately it is not yet distributed in NYS. :(
    PalatePilot likes this.
  17. I picked up a six pack that was 10 days old and it was awesome. Fresh beer (esp. IPA) is best.

18. Qwest_35

I've had it less than a month old, and the oldest I've had was 3 months old, I like it about half way between the two. Sounds like you had it on it's way out. I do find that it is better at about a month old, the really fresh batch I got was not as fruity as the month old was. I would give it another shot with something fresher before you bail on this one!
  19. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (505) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

Thanks for your help. I'll probably just wait and try it/buy it whenever I get down to Florida. That way I'll know it's fresher.
  20. Daktah

Daktah Savant (275) Illinois Apr 13, 2011

The beers that I know are more in the English style of IPA did not do well.

Learned a few new beers to look for when traveling, so there's that I guess.
  21. Qwest_35

Absolutley, or you could trade. There's plenty of great BA's on here from Fl who would hook you up.
  22. No just a sour puss.
  23. DHS1029

DHS1029 Savant (325) Illinois Feb 14, 2013

Not sure... the 12 that I got in a trade were only a few weeks old when I received them and they have been fucking delicious. The mango and grapefruit smells/flavors were quite prevalent. So refreshing, and for some reason I love it right out of the can
  24. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I'm surprised Odell didn't take it, I'd drink that before FW or CC.
    PalatePilot and hardy008 like this.
  25. Oddly enough, I picked up some Union Jack yesterday for the first time in a while. Bottled 2 weeks ago, but really underwhelming.
    jrnyc likes this.
  26. I've been enjoying this for the last couple weeks. Inspired me to retry Two Hearted after being unimpressed a couple years back. Liked it alot better this time. Also put a couple beers on my try list...
  27. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (500) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

No White Rajah, Head Hunter, Columbus IPA, in the Northeast? Please, can't take that seriously at all.

Although, UJ is a good beer...
  28. If you read the results (very interesting, especially the final four profiles) you'll find the competitation was limited to year round IPAs. No seasonals, Imperial's or APA's.
  29. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Nice to see Lake Front Brewery IPA do pretty well. Wish Ale Asylums Ballistic IPA was in there instead.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  30. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Needs more Toppling Goliath.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  31. Keffa

Those are year round, regular IPAs that I mentioned. Not seasonal, not imperial, not APAs.
  32. DanE

DanE Savant (400) Connecticut Feb 24, 2012

I have to agree. I was on business in Birmingham and Snake Charmer was fantastic, so good I regretted the Two-Hearted I had prior to it (because eventually I needed to drive to the hotel without receiving an out of state DUI). Avondale's IPA was great too. Go to AL if you want the fantastic, yet under the radar beer.

With that said, since I am currently rep'ing CT, I'd say Sea Hag would have smoked the NE, but I like FW Union Jack and Bear Republic Racer 5 a lot so cheers to them!
  33. Had Kane Head High been in the "play in" game in the northeast region, it would have won the whole tournament. Shame on the selection committee for not putting them in the big dance.
  34. phooky

I think the blame may be on Kane for not bottling.. They only used bottled beers.

I pray Kane starts bottling/canning soon so I can enjoy Head High and Overhead more often!
  35. Agreed, although criteria just says American brewery and beer that is available year round so it really could qualify. But some of those beers in the NE bracket are average at best. I'd take Flower power and Troegs Perpetual over just about every other beer in that bracket.
  36. phooky

I agree with the peculiar lack of Flower Power, one of the top regular IPAs out there.
  37. While I love those beers I think they are looking for beers that people can actually have in there homes via going to the store and buying them:)

Although I do think Golden Nugget could have taken all these beers and then wiped the floor with them.
  38. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

Yeah, I would like to trust this, but Sculpin would've beat most of the beers that got high. Racer 5, no way. Firestone, I can see an argument.
  39. Keffa

True. And Racer 5 over Blind Pig? Puhlease.
    SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  40. dar482

dar482 Advocate (670) New York Mar 9, 2007

At least that was a 4-3. I have yet to have 21st Amendment IPA, but I couldn't imagine it beating Alesmith IPA, one of my favorite IPAs, 6-1.