1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Top VA beers

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by hornsup, Jan 7, 2013.

1. hornsup

hornsup Savant (340) Virginia Nov 29, 2012

Currently attempting to get around to every craft brewery in Virginia and see what else this state has to offer....so far my top 5 are: (in no particular order)

Beach Brewing Blackfin
    Blue Mountain Barrel House Choc/Coffee Aged Dark Hollow
    Williamsburg Alewerks Cafe Royale
    Devils Backbone Schwarzbier
    St George's Imperial Stout

Anyone got must haves I need to add?

2. Hardywood's GBS is a very solid beer. I've been told Hoplar is dynamite.

whiskey and StoutSeth like this.
  3. StoutSeth

StoutSeth Savant (285) Virginia Sep 24, 2010

Brass Canon Brewing in Toano (Williamsburg area) is a hole in the wall, but my favorite VA brewery. Still really new, but have some solid session beers right now.

4. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Hardywood GBS is one of the few flavored stouts to really knocked my socks off.

5. hornsup

If I could find GBS I would get my hands on it.....heard its fantastic. Unfortunately I missed the saturday they were kicking it off/on

6. Yeah , the GBS was real tasty . If ya like hoppy stuff the Alewerks Bitter Valentine is coming out soon . My favorite VA beer .
    It's good to see another Va. Beach BA . Some places to check out if ya haven't are Grape and Gourmet , Whole Foods and Lynnhaven Pub .

7. hornsup

I was just at g&g earlier today to pick up some wake n bake, alewerks coffeehouse stout and some more. I was advised by Gabe a few weeks back that theyre getting a case of KBS early Feb, so keep yours eye out! I'll have to try to get to Lynnhaven Pub, I know Beach Brewing puts some of theirs on tap there. Blackfin was phenominal, hope you picked one up while they lasted.

8. They're getting 1 whole case of KBS !? It's a tough one to find around here . I got a couple of bottles at Total Wine last year . On the Blackfin I thought it was good but needs some time to settle down . They had it in the cold case the last time I was at the pub . They do sell bottles to go . It's bar prices but they usually aren't bad . And they fill growlers too .

9. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (610) Virginia May 28, 2010

Alewerks: Cafe Royale, Grand Illumination, BB Porter, Bitter Valentine
    Blue Mtn: Big Blue DIPA, pre Barrel House vintages of Dark Hollow and Mandolin
    Wolf Hills: Chocolate Milk Stout, IIPA
    Hardywood: GBS, Farmhouse Pumpkin
    C.O.T.U.: PocaHOPtus
    Mad Fox: Orange Whip (most of their IPA/IIPAs are fantastic)
    Devils Backbone makes some excellent lagers but their names escape me at the moment
    Legend: Chocolate Porter, older vintages of their Barleywine
    O'Connor: Great Dismal (they like to play around with this brew alot)

need to revisit Beach. heard they've upped their quality in the last 6 months or so (was severely unimpressed by what I've had from them prior)

10. hornsup

Beach is or miss on most beers right now since theyre new. Their Typhoon wheat wine was good, and I had a coconut/lime infused hammerhead IPA they had as a saturday special cask that was incredible. Just picked up Legend chocolate porter yesterday. Still need to find a way to grab some GBS, may be waiting til December though

11. TheFunGuy

TheFunGuy Aficionado (210) Virginia Dec 27, 2011

Port City Monumental IPA. The Revival oyster stout is also good if you can find it.

Lost Rhino Faceplant IPA, Holy Brew pils, and Woody Stout.

For being in a mall, Rock Bottom Ballston's brewer does a very nice job.

If time is short you can skip Blue and Grey, and Hops.

12. seanchai

seanchai Advocate (520) Virginia May 23, 2009

Champion Brewing in Charlottesville (just started in November) has an excellent Missile IPA.

13. nriech

nriech Savant (405) Virginia Mar 9, 2005

Hardywood GBS is still available at some of the Sheetz gas stations belive it or not. Im letting them keep em cool for me.