Toppling Goliath Brewery appreciation thread...

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by BottleCaps80, Feb 24, 2013.

1. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (725) Iowa Jan 12, 2013 Verified Subscriber

I've had Golden Nugget and Mellinium Falcon a few times in the past, but those were the only TG beers I've had the pleasure of trying up until today. Today I went to El Bait and had a sampler and then a full draw and then another full draw of psuedoSue. I almost couldn't stop drinking it because it tasted so good. Quite possibly the best beer I've had in my life (and I've had hundreds and hundreds) and that isn't an exaggeration.

Every beer I've tried from TG (granted, only 3 up to this point) has been top notch. PseudoSue just kicked them up into the Bell's, Surly, Founders, FFF caliber brewery for me and I hav to say, psuedoSue blew Zombie Dust out of the water.

Toppling Goliath is going to be a force to be reckoned with and I garauntee a top Midwest and even nationally renowned brewery in the next year.

Sintech, Ejayz, tgchief and 1 other person like this.
  2. brian23456

brian23456 Savant (255) Minnesota Apr 29, 2008

Shhhhh we're not supposed to talk about it!
    TG is in my opinion, the best kept secret in the midwest. So far it seems no one really knows about them except a few IA, MN and WI people. Psuedo Sue, Millenium Falcon and Zeelander are some of my favorites from them and right now I'm drinking a Naughy Temple, add that to the list. I haven't had the chance to try Assassin, Kentucky Brunch and Mornin Delight but they sound AWESOME!
    Once they get the bottles rollin out I'm sure they will be my most purchased from brewery, and I'll be the first in line for the PVW Assassin next year.

tgchief and BottleCaps80 like this.
  3. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (600) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

^ I've been spreading the gospel of TG in Omaha, NE as well; the secret is getting out :)

Huge thanks from all of us at Beertopia/Crescent Moon to Clark and Nick for joining us at the Omaha Extreme Beerfest; already looking forward to the goodies you will bring us next year!

-Jason

4. ZAP

ZAP Champion (785) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

My brother picked up one of their IPA's in a growler from Hudson Wisconsin and I was blown away by it.....one of the most citrus/tropical IPA's I've had...I definitely want to try more from this place

tgchief likes this.
  5. BottleCaps80

@Zap - yes....the citrus in their IPAs is unfuckwithable. So fresh and so clean.

I haven't gotten the chance to try any of TG's stouts yet, but i have heard nothing but amazing things about Assassin, Kentucky Brunch and Morning Dlight.

I have a bottle of Naughty Temple sitting in my beer fridge until my 33rd birthday next Friday. Can't wait to try it.

All I have to reiterate is that TG has their shit together and once they get bottling, lookout, as they are gonna kill it. Whalez galore.

6. youngac

youngac Savant (250) North Carolina Jul 14, 2005

TG is making world class beers in Iowa.

Their ipas/pales are ridiculous. Especially Sue and Millennium Falcon. Their stouts
    are ridiculous. Especially Kentucky brunch, morning delight, assassin...well that is most of them. Their barrel aging is perfection... see Assassin and Naughty Temple for proof.

They even have good "training wheels" brews and brewed a brown (Brown Sugar) that I really enjoyed.

The only beer I've ever had that wasn't as good as I hoped was their Black IPA. It was good, but too much like a regular IPA, missing the roasty flavor of the better versions of that style.

TG is killing it across all beer styles pretty much. I would love to try a TG barleywine and TG sour when they make 'em!

7. youngac

Love TG and Sue. But blows Zombie Dust out of the water? No way I could say that.
    A worthy equal? Hell yeah!

8. BottleCaps80

I honestly disagree. Those fresh Citra hops from Sue are mindblowing. Better than Zombie Dust for sure....by a bit.

9. jodan

jodan Initiate (0) California Jul 24, 2008

Count a few Californians as being privy to the awesomeness of Toppling Goliath. There just needs to be more than 3 people in the middle of nowhere Iowa to send growlers across the country.

motorhed likes this.
  10. I went to their tap room tonight, awesome stuff! Clark and his brew crew are cranking out some fantastic beers, especially their IPAs. I have had their gold wax Assassin, a force to reckon with in the "big boy" stout category. Psuedo Sue is very comparable to 3F's Zombie Dust. Mornin' Delight, delicious. I also a grabbed one of their last Naughty Temple bombers, excited to crack it open soon. In other words, "If they brew it, they will come."

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  11. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (365) Minnesota May 15, 2008

shawnp was nice enough to introduce me to TG in December when I traded him some Fitger's growlers for a Zeelander and Naughty 90 growler. The Naughty 90 was amazing and I've been wanting to try more since. I was actually just talking to my wife yesterday about driving down there for an afternoon to get a couple pints/growlers.

12. mothman

mothman Champion (970) United Kingdom (Wales) Jun 21, 2007 Verified

I have had a few of their IPAs and they are all top notch. TG reminds me a lot of TH with their quality of pale ales/ipas. I had a chance to buy a naughty temple but I after tax it would have been about $28 and I couldn't justify the cost.

I dig that the Nova gets growlers, but I can't wait for them to be in MN. Please hurry!

13. randjuke

randjuke Savant (260) Iowa Feb 13, 2010 Verified

It's tough to call TG a secret and under-appreciated any more. Naughty Temple sold out immediately and in general the demand for their beers greatly exceeds the supply. Depends how you look at it I guess. On a national level they are unknown but that's not the case in the Midwest.

They have a great shot at becoming a regional brewery that is highly sought after on a national level. To do that they will have to maintain the same level of quality on a much larger scale.

Sintech and BottleCaps80 like this.
  14. shebby

shebby Savant (290) Utah Feb 29, 2012

Anyone try the SR-71 Blackbird at the fest yesterday? Crazy good mouthfeel and a highlight of the evening for sure! I was fortunate enough to do a little trade with Clark and both he and Nick seem very down-to-earth and generous. Looking forward to visiting the actual taproom in March!

BrettHead likes this.
  15. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Advocate (635) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

glad i have a growler of Sue

16. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (600) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Yes, it was fantastic. Well all four beers they had were fantastic!

TheBushman likes this.
  17. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (220) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

Glad you liked it! Yesterday was it's debut. Hopefully I'll make the trip out to Omaha next year! Sounds like it was a great time!

-Mike

Sintech, tgchief and BrettHead like this.
  18. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Advocate (635) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

throw in a few sours and they are the russian river of the midwest

gatornation, tgchief and BottleCaps80 like this.
  19. BottleCaps80

Maybe I'm dreaming, but I swore I saw Mike post somewhere they he has a sour in the works, but it would be quite a while before it would be released due to aging?

20. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Aficionado (245) Iowa Mar 18, 2008

Me too, grabbed one yesterday.

21. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (230) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

I am with you, glad others are on board. I have been ridiculed here for saying the same thing. I prefer Sue over ZD, but I must agree with youngac. Blowing ZD out of the water may be a slight exaggration...

22. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (615) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009 Verified

Had a few Toppling Goliath brews at the Great Taste last year and am loving the fact that they are on tap now at several places in Madison pretty regularly. Golden Nugget, Brown Sugar, and Rover Truck are very good, and Mornin' Delight, Millennium Falcon, ZeeLander and PseudoSue are all simply fantastic. Looking forward to cracking my bottle of Naughty Temple tonight.

23. BottleCaps80

I admit that was an exaggeration on my part, but I do feel Sue is better than ZD. Would love to do a side by side comparison.

24. No offense to TG but my problem with this brewery is they seem to be working hard to go to every beer loving city surrounding MN while avoiding coming here. Not sure why you'd go to Madison before coming to the Twin Cities when we are actually closer. And going to Hudson but not coming here? It's like they are mocking MN. I know they keep saying they are coming here but they are expanding more and more places all the time with no word on coming here. Seems very odd to me and almost like they avoiding the TC on purpose.

25. Yulles

Yulles Savant (315) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

They went to Madison because they were going to great taste. Since they were already approved for sales in WI they started distributing to Hudson so us folks in the cities could enjoy their beer without the drive down to Decorah. But you're right, they are awful human beings* who only want to tease us Minnesotans. About the only thing I will agree with is your statement that they are working hard.

*having met Clark and a few of the other TG staff I will categorically deny they are awful human beings.

26. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Savant (270) Minnesota Nov 4, 2011 Verified

I'm sure FrostyTiger meant no disrespect.

The TG guys work their asses off...as do many others

laymansbeerfan, BrettHead and tgchief like this.
  27. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

All this talk of TG is just a tease to me. I want it so bad :(

28. our liquor laws suck, that might be a big part of it.

jebsinger likes this.
  29. tgchief

tgchief Savant (315) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

We love the Twin Cities! I worked one summer up there when I was 15 and have always had it in our sights. The problem is the MN laws requiring us to use the 3 tier system. If you follow me you know I think the 3 tier system can be the enemy of fresh IPAs, and that will not do for us. In time, I will find the right dist and change that for you.

In the meantime, we make a special trip to Hudson WI to get our beer as close as possible to the TC.....not a lot of profit in the trip for us, but very satisfying to know we are close to you. I hope you can be patient with us as when we come, we will not disappoint you!

30. tgchief

Just got home from Omaha and delivering the SR 71 to our taproom. Saw this thread and want to thank all of you for making the long days and nights and failures worth every second of our quest to produce world class beers and push the limits.

We are in awe and owe you a dept of gratitude!

Cheers!

Clark

bpfrush and BrettHead like this.
  31. BottleCaps80

I'm pretty sure the only reason they aren't on tap/stores in MN is because they self distribute and MN law doesn't allow breweries to self distribute. Maybe I am totally wrong and they are indeed mocking you guys? Besides...you guys already have Surly, Town Hall and Steel Toe that is brewed right there. They are lots of fellow Midwesterners who would love to have ready access to beers from those breweries as well, but they don't disrtibute outside of MN. ;-)

gatornation and mattafett like this.
  32. tgchief

Thank you for the kind words and the trade! Looking forward to diving into the RR with Mike, and Nick and I loved the growler!

Glad you suggested we should come to the Extreme Beer Fest. Any one that thought they were happy we came to Omaha should thank you!

Cheers!

Clark

BrettHead and shebby like this.
  33. youngac

Just to be clear I Love Sue and think it is equal to Zombie Dust.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  34. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (860) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

This is yet another reason why TG is great. Willing to come on here and answer questions by the beer geeks. Excellent communication with us, caring about people getting their product fresh and putting out a great product. Sue is just an amazing beer and I can't wait to be able to have it in bottles around here.

35. aliving1

aliving1 Savant (285) Minnesota Aug 3, 2011

PseudoSue is awesome. Had Assassin as well. They make great beers, and Clark is a great guy. I just wish I could go there more often. Class act brewery, quickly becoming my favorite.

tgchief likes this.
  36. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (410) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012 Verified

I've had PseudoSue, Zeelander and Golden Nugget, great to see a small brewery make so many high quality brews and different takes on a style. Seems like they've got an option for everyone, can't wait to try their next offerings they send to The Nova.

tgchief likes this.
  37. shawnp

shawnp Advocate (515) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010 Verified

I've had the pleasure of speaking with Mike, Clark and a few other fellas from TG while at Darkness Day last year and I have to say it again, stand up guys all around. I've been visiting the tap room on a regular basis since June of last year and I've been nothing short of amazed of all their brews. Mornin Delite, vanilla bean rover truck, cask Sue and many a Firkin Friday. As I've said in the past, I've had around 10 of their brews and I've liked them all. When someone compares ZD to Sue, I think those who haven't had Sue, need to have it fresh. In my opinion, I would take Sue all day long. That being said, I love Zombie Dust. As far as TG coming to the TC area, I would love it to happen for those who can't make it to Decorah. I live about one hour from the tap room and I enjoy the drive down.

tgchief likes this.
  38. JediMatt

JediMatt Savant (270) Iowa Jun 18, 2010 Verified

I will add my love for this brewery. Cannot wait until I can buy bottles of their delicious brews in a store near me. :)

tgchief, cmannes and nickapalooza86 like this.
  39. Shag

Shag Savant (285) Minnesota Jun 27, 2007 Verified

I, for one, was super excited when I found out you guys were sending suds to Hudson. I've downed a few TG growlers already (Naughty 90 tonight!), and looking forward to more. Looking forward to whatever else you send up - keep it coming!

tgchief likes this.
  40. KEEP THE IPA COMING! Love what TG is doing!

tgchief likes this.