1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Toppling Goliath (TG) Assassin 2014...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by shawnp, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

2. Me too!! I hope the release isn't a shit show.

3. Woot! This is sexy beer news.

4. Made my weekend.

5. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (450) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

Realistically, it's time to buy a large plastic parka.

Rob-P, rxeight and maximum12 like this.
  6. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

Can't wait! TG releases are a great time. I do sincerely hope they utilize an online ticketing service like Eventbrite for folks to reserve bottles. Knowing that there's no chance of being shut out when you're traveling for beer makes it all the more fun, at least for me. :)

7. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Advocate (510) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

For real, I hope they take note of this comment! I will happily go, but it's nice to have that assurance.

ToadiesForCody likes this.
  8. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

I'm sure they will lower the bottle allowances from last year from 12 to 6 (hopefully).

McRyan and BarrelAgedBarry like this.
  9. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Never been to a TG release, how does it generally go down? Rochester guys, we should plan a trip me thinks...

10. cacostaj

cacostaj Savant (255) Florida Feb 15, 2013

^^THIS!!! Coming in hot from Miami so stricking out simply is not an option!

11. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Do I have to bring up 'suck it' to all of you out of staters?? Those of you familiar with 'suck it' need not reply as you know how this game is played.

gueuzedreg likes this.
  12. aliving1

aliving1 Savant (275) Minnesota Aug 3, 2011

We should keep this on the low-low, otherwise it will be a shit show this year. I'm hoping the TG guys do something to prevent a total cluster. Their name and reputation are spreading fast which is good, but bad for such a limited release. I'd be cool with a 6 bottle limit. Hell, I only bought 4 last year. Kicking myself for not getting more though, it was that good.

13. It's too late for this. TG's cat is out of the bag. Chicagoland will descend upon Iowa...

14. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Aficionado (205) Michigan Jul 26, 2012

I've got two comp days that need to be burned by June 1st, live within 3 hrs of Decorah, and have the cash to make it happen. That said.....I'm thinking my odds could be as low as 1 and 4 of seeing a bottle this time. I don't think a Saturday morning show up and get in line is going to get it done anymore for TG and could create a South American soccer riot. The Craigslist, mybeercellar, hoarders who auction on BA, etc bottom feeder crowd smells blood on this one, so do the trophy hunters in CA, NJ, and FL.

I'm a realist and understand that while I was with my family on Thanksgiving night, people were driving 6 hours to jump in the Chicago Bourbon County line. I'm going to give it a try, but will be following the hype regardless if I'm successful, just out of curiosity to gauge how competitive it gets. This release is going to be a real barometer in regards to measuring if the craze has peaked or if it is still growing.

15. MNPikey

As long as its not the weekend of April 26th I'll be there! And as MNbuffalo said, I'm sure an overnight campout is going to be required. :-(

funhog likes this.
  16. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

This is still a niche stout...BCBS was all over the news, everyone was out to get some, not just super geeks and traders. Hopefully it won't be as bad as that. @tgchief - any chance of tickets for reservations?

Mnmaverick likes this.
  17. mnbuffalo

mnbuffalo Aficionado (205) Michigan Jul 26, 2012

I hope you're right. I think TG is white hot and the biggest emerging star of the past year.

McRyan likes this.
  18. Of my 1500-2000 tics, morning delight was a top 10 for me and Assassin is definitely awesome as well. Really hope I can make it to one of the releases this year.

redblacks75 likes this.
  19. Really hope they do some ticket for this. Otherwise I fear a shitshow the likes that we may have not seen with lots of people getting shut out.

20. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (320) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Seconded, thirded, fourthed, whatever for ticketing system.

21. I and others in my area would be happy to pay for a ticket to admission for an event or promised bottles.

22. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

Yep...at ticketing system will almost be a necessity this year or this release could become a shit show. I really, really hope that happens!

McRyan and BeersAndBears like this.
  23. I wholeheartedly agree

24. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Savant (475) Minnesota Sep 1, 2013

Eventbrite this release please!

ToadiesForCody likes this.
  25. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Oh hell yes, there's no way I'm missing this one.

26. I'm in. But then, you knew that.

27. cmannes

cmannes Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

Went last year, want more this year. Fingers crossed.

28. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Alesmit does something kind of cool for releases...you buy tickets for your bottles and only you can get them in an alotted time. It keeps the beer local and stops the shit show for them. My brother gets bottles, he lives out there. But if I want some more, I have to get them. No proxies

29. Part of the problem is it is such a small Taphouse. My wife and i waited in line for over an hour for a beer.

30. MNPikey

Yes, and hopefully tickets will be sold in the taproom only and will be sold with names on them just like 3 Floyds did to prevent scalping.

31. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Savant (475) Minnesota Sep 1, 2013

I'm in favor of anything that prevents scalpers and proxy's but still in involves a ticketing process.

32. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Advocate (510) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

I did really like the way lift bridge handled the BA Silhouette release. I wasn't there, but I appreciated being able to buy the bottles and then go get them within a couple weeks. For those of us with less flexible schedules, it's very nice and still guarantees that you come into the tap room to collect your bottles.

33. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (320) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

Not sure I would agree with tickets being sold at taproom only. I don't want to drive two hours just to buy a ticket. I do agree with names however. I believe that can be achieved without having to buy in person.

Seefeldt, SipIt, BeerGoogler and 4 others like this.
  34. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

Those that have been to TG, I just don't see how you could do any kind of overnight line or shanty town tent set up at that taproom / area. Especially if it is going to be a ton of people, which everyone in this thread seems to be convinced it will be.

The first year of Assassin they did a pre-sale for tickets, and then you went back when the beer was ready and picked it up. The bottle limit was six bombers. I wasn't able to go last year, so if anyone is willing to comment on how last year went down (number of people present, how they sold it, bottle limit, etc...) that would be awesome.

I love rampant speculation as much as the next guy, but sometimes facts are just as nice.

35. That really is a nice way to do a release; allowing for more time than one day to pick up bottles. I bet the line was a lot more manageable as well.

MNBeerGeek likes this.
  36. Assassin went pretty smooth 12 bottle limit and 2 bottles of MD. I got there at 10:15 am and received #10.
    KBBS just 2 months later I got there at 8:15 and received #147 and waited for more than an hour for a beer because they went in number order. When we got in the beer line they were calling numbers in the 70's so more than an hour to serve 70 beers. I think they need to try something else. I would assume there will be lot more people this year. I must admit I do love what they are doing down there in Decorah. Great beer Clark

37. iowapat

iowapat Aficionado (100) Iowa Aug 9, 2009

I thought the initial release ran smoother than last year...I got there around 11:15 and was still able to get a few bottles...

That being said, I think that members of TG's Mug Club should (such as myself) should be given the chance to pick up their allotment prior to it being released to the public...

38. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

This thread is solid gold. Everyone just chill and let @tgchief do his thing. I can't come up with any instance where TG screwed something up.

39. iowapat

iowapat Aficionado (100) Iowa Aug 9, 2009

Ditto...in fact, @tgchief held on to a sticker for me until I could get there...

40. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I admire your faith my friend. However, there's a long line of breweries who "underestimated demand" & wound up with poo all over their show, so the concern is warranted. I hope TG gets it right!

BeerGoogler, McRyan and mnbearsfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.