1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Toppling Goliath (TG) Assassin 2014...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by shawnp, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indeed, I'm usually more surprised when a release is smooth and goes well.

2. mmulebarn

mmulebarn Savant (470) Minnesota Sep 1, 2013

Faith in Toppling Goliath is warranted. They are well aware of how popular they have become and I believe they will take appropriate measures to make their future releases successful.

4DAloveofSTOUT and HawkeyeNation like this.
  3. SournRare

SournRare Zealot (75) Michigan Dec 2, 2012

What barrel was '13 Yellow Wax?.....pappy as well?

4. Although something needs to be done to ensure there isn't a riot in Iowa on release day, I would like to see tickets sold locally at the brew pub starting maybe 2 weeks before the planned release day. This rewards the locals for their support throughout the year while giving those within close driving proximity the ability to buy their tickets beforehand.

5. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (235) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

TR I thought? Or was that red wax?

6. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

And only one ticket sold per person. With that, I'd totally be on board with this method of ticket sales!

7. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

I fully understand where this is coming from, but the 'I hope they don't let us make this a shit-show' hand wringing is a bit silly.

8. bocky24

bocky24 Aficionado (180) Iowa Apr 10, 2013

If they go with tix they should sell 75% online and 25% at brew pub that way all fans can get tix and locals are taken care of. Also a 1 or two ticket idea with names is a good idea.

williamjbauer and seangibbs60 like this.
  9. I thought that KBBS release went really smooth! TG was well represented that day!

10. No, this year is the first year that pappy barrels are being used in assassin. The barrels are 20 yr pappy barrels; the same barrels that block 15 uses to age Super Nebula. I am not 100% sure what barrels were used for Assassin or KBBS, but I want to say buffalo trace.

11. bocky24

I thought KBBS was templeton rye but I could be wrong.

12. The release itself went smooth. They only had 300 bottles of beer to sell. I know trying to get a beer inside not so much. I am sure they learn things with each release and will apply accordingly. I am optimistic
    it won't be a shitshow ( fingers crossed)

13. One of my pet peeves is people sitting at the bar when these releases are happening. I had a lovely young couple at the 16 release get annoyed that I exchanged money and received my beer between them as they were having the most interesting conversation about picking up toilet paper after the release. At TG When the bar is that small and the only place to get a beer, don't sit there and make it that much harder for everyone else to get a beer. Get your beer, get the hell out of the way. Ya you got there early and got a prime spot, I don't give a shit. At these releases when the breweries are flooded with more people than they can handle, sitting at the bar is bad beer etiquette as far as I'm concerned.

striker2160 and cmannes like this.
  14. Phil_H

Phil_H Savant (300) Wisconsin Jun 4, 2013

While that is annoying, in the view of Toppling Goliath those regulars are what pay the bills not some person coming down for a limited release.

15. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

Yeah, who ever heard of people sitting at a bar in a taproom? The audacity of some people! :rolleyes:

BrettHead likes this.
  16. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

They have a place to order from (like all bars) and it sure isn't by jamming yourself in between two people (speaking of pet peeves)

17. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

If there are stools at the bar I see no reason not to set at them. Are they just there for looks?

18. I'm just sayin. Get out of my way, I'm thirsty.

19. tgchief

tgchief Savant (305) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Here is where we are at. Today, Mike and I are sampling the barrels. Although they have been filled one year, our barrel program is about patience and insuring that we can get every bit of goodness possible in the beer. Upon picking the barrels that will continue, we will start to let people know what is happening in about a 60 day window from the release. As Mike has said many times, we are trying to age this beer to perfection, so it is ready to drink when you buy it, with out having to cellar.

How are we going to do the release? That is a great question and I promise you that you will not have to take a chance showing up and not getting the beer. As those of you know that have visited, our taproom brewery is small and we want every one to have a good experience.

We are also going to try and having plenty of beers for you, making your trip worth while. We want our local customers and all of our followers to have some of these stouts since we think they are really good and want to know what you think of them!

Now if we could just control the weather!

Cheers!

20. Thanks a lot for the update and thanks for putting out beer when it is ready. I can't wait!!

Mnmaverick likes this.
  21. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Savant (310) Iowa Jun 18, 2013

I'm salivating just reading that. Thanks Chief! My anxiety thanks you as well.

22. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (305) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Really looking forward to this release and getting my first taste of assassin

Mnmaverick likes this.
  23. repivk

repivk Zealot (85) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

I'll agree with all the positive feedback about the guys from TG. I've had nothing but great experiences on Assassin and KBBS releases. Expect to see me and my buddy at the taproom all of the day after playing cribbage and drinking beer again!

Edit: if anyone from the KBBS release last year sees that guy who jumped the line, please point him out :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
    Erdinger2003 likes this.
  24. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I hope this means the plan this year is to release Assassin, MD and KBBS all at the same time!! Wasn't that the initial plan last year, but you didn't get labels approved in time for MD and KBBS to be sold at the Assassin release?

wpqx likes this.
  25. JakeT469

JakeT469 Savant (330) Illinois Jan 13, 2012

Can't wait for this release! I love everything TG has been doing for the last couple years. I'll definitely be coming out with my friend Andrew who lives in the far far west burbs of Chicago and makes the 4.5 hour drive to Decorah for every bottle release. Dude is crazy in love with his TG brews, as am I, and he's gotten to know @tgchief very well from his frequent trips to the taproom.

26. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2013

If you make any progress on this front, please let us know. We could really use some help with that this year.

27. Erdinger2003

Erdinger2003 Savant (460) Iowa Sep 16, 2005

They both do.

28. bocky24

It's awesome that you take the time to post an update on here. I'm sure the release will be great just like the KBBS release was. Thanks for the hard work and cheers!
    s

29. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (535) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

Thanks for the update Clark! I look forward to seeing you and Murph again at Extreme Beerfest on 2/22!

~Jason @Beertopia/Crescent Moon

30. wpqx

wpqx Savant (355) Illinois Aug 12, 2013

The FIBs are coming!!!!!

Seriously I'm really, really looking forward to this.

MSEGUIN and funhog like this.
  31. HawkeyeNation

Damn you, FIB's!

32. PHBoiler

PHBoiler Advocate (540) Illinois Jan 14, 2013

On the contrary, if this FIB is lucky enough to get a ticket or however they provide access, I'll gladly share Proprietor's with all locals for their hospitality. I'd really love to take the trip out there for a release sometime and finally get to try a beer from TG. That's at or near the top of my 2014 beer to-do list.

33. Cool Clark! Thanks for the update.

As per your twitter question on how to handle Assassin day 2014 perhaps ya'll could start compiling a list of your loyal hop patrolers when Murph or Chad do their runs. For instance they could say on twitter "ill be at the hyvee on (insert road here) from 2-3 PM and take your name down for a guaranteed ticket, just for coming and meeting us to talk about our brew.

34. TgBC

TgBC Aficionado (220) Iowa Aug 28, 2011

Hey guys,

Today was barrel check-in/sampling day. The barrels are coming along nicely, but not quite ready yet; we're looking at a minimum of 3 more months. We're hoping to have plenty of treats, barrel-aged and non available for release day.

We're still working on the logistics of release day, but we're confident we'll come up with a plan that will allow a great release day for everyone attending, without worry of going without beer.

As a side note, we should be getting in gold Assassin teku glasses next week.

-Mike

kpanter, funhog, Hopbully and 13 others like this.
  35. HawkeyeNation

Thanks for the update! Will he new glasses be available on the merch site?

MNBeerGeek likes this.
  36. EPIC!

37. iowapat

iowapat Aficionado (100) Iowa Aug 9, 2009

Thanks for the update Mike and Clark

Sounds like I'll be visiting the taproom next weekend...

38. If I can order a ticket or there is some other form of assurance of success, I am in for sure. Be willing to carpool anyone along the way from WV.

39. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (535) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

TG sure says "when it's ready" in a less surly manner than Surly.

40. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Aficionado (235) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

They should definitely reward the truck chasers that take afternoons off work to make sure no one else gets beer! Shoot, they should be first in line!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.