1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Toppling Goliath (TG) Assassin 2014...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by shawnp, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

So at least a few more months plus 2 months for organizing? Maybe in the fall? Would make for a nice weekend in Decora!

Erdinger2003 likes this.
  2. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (625) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

I know at one point, they had indicated they were shooting for a late Spring/early Summer release. Not sure if that timeline is still intact with the recent barrel tasting/findings.

3. tourdot

tourdot Savant (450) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

That maybe optimistic. This thread probably should be TG Assassin 2015

4. funhog

funhog Savant (435) Illinois Mar 8, 2011

It's not necessarily TG regulars.

5. iowapat

iowapat Aficionado (100) Iowa Aug 9, 2009

I'm a regular and according to my wife, I've spent enough over the years to pay for a good chunk of the bottling line ;)

bocky24 likes this.

6. No that is not the point of the post, which you obviously misunderstood. The strategy I proposed mitigates the "truck chasers", which we at John's grocery had the unfortunate opportunity to meet on the last run (dude was a big whiny twit).

The jist of it is that TG could compile the names of people who buy their normal distribution beers in a very easy and efficient manner. Which may need further exposition at this time.

In fact I do not see how anyone could see "writing a person's name down once" as rewarding "truck chasers". Because what "truck chasers" do is go to the first drop off and then buy 1 bottle at each stop. Whereas tweeting "murph will be at location X from Y-Z time, come and meet us to sign up for an Assassin day 2014" represents an equal opportunity for each person in the distribution footprint.

Or maybe you would like them to just say "start camping outside the brewery now"? Furthermore you propose absolutely no alternative, which I for one would be enthralled to hear.

And if there happens to be someone in the footprint who happens to have missed out on the last Psuedo Sue run, The Bread Garden on the IC Ped Mall still has about 10 bottles left as of lunch today, no limit. Or you could meet me at Joe's 5:30 ish and I will buy the first round of sue's tonight for all the Iowa Sweeties on this VD day!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  7. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Most posts about releases are going to be: "<insert something that allows me to get my hands on this beer>".

And most responses are going to be: "<yes, but I think this is a better idea, because it means that I can get it>"

8. True dat bruddah. This one is unique though because they did ask for opinions on twitter. and unlike FFF actually care about that "personal iowa nice" type of rapport with their clientele. I for one thought it was cool when murph hung out at one of his stops and expalined XHops to all the non "truck chasers" in attendance (bread garden btw releases its TG at 5 P.M. regardless of delivery time so this was nice for all the people with "actual jobs".)

Oh and one question, can everyone at least agree in here that they would prefer not to need to

A: Line up for 14 hours outside the brewery or
    B: Press F5 a whole bunch of times on brown paper tickets for a 10% chance at a ticket

Can we at least take a straw poll on those two before people get "huffy"?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  9. BottleCaps80

I get what you are trying to say, but not everyone has the ability to take off work the minute they see a tweet indicating what time/place Murph will be to go "sign up" on this list you proposed (in the DSM area, all TG deliveries are during normal 8:00-5:00 work hours, making it difficult for those of us with day jobs and making your proposal much easier for odd shift workers or truck chasers).

For those of us at work (and many others), it would be much more feasible to be able to buy a ticket online that reserves your right to get bottles. Even Brite or Brown Paper Tickets works just fine for special releases like this. Don't allow proxies and only allow one ticket per person and it shouldn't be an issue to get a one.

10. Ok but if I hear one complaint about "invaders from Detroit" or "Ticket Scalpers" or "Got shut out by people with 8 computers" or "couldn't get to a computer 9-5 M-F"....

The strategy does not preclude TG from selling tickets at their brewery or on a "barnstorming of the footprint tour" during the WEEKEND.

11. BottleCaps80

Ha...I'm thinking TG employees have better ways to use their time than to go on "barnstorming" tours on the weekends to make sure their customers are able to sign up for a bottle release.

You are over thinking this. It's beer. Don't have anxiety about it. Everything will be OK and you'll very likely be able to secure bottles if you want them, regardless of how they handle the release. Clark made that pretty clear in his post in this thread.

Ungertaker and mnbearsfan like this.
  12. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

How much Assassin even when into distribution last year? Not sure how much more was made this year but seems as though all of the limited TG brews see no or very limited distro so I don't think a ticket option within distribution would be much of an option if they plan to have enough to cover most/all the demand at the brewery for the release.

13. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

I think Three Floyd's did it right with putting the purchasers name right on the ticket. Completely eliminated scalpers and people trying to take advantage of the system.

14. BottleCaps80

Yep...this is the best way to control scalpers and make them non-transferable to eliminate proxies/mules too. And limit to one ticket per person, which garauntees you X number of bottle to purchase. Done!

tgchief and Bond111 like this.
  15. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I like this idea.

I only live one hour from the brewery, but I'm probably not going to the release if there is a chance I won't get a bottle. I like the ticket of some kind ideas.

16. SaulTBauls

SaulTBauls Savant (260) Iowa Mar 22, 2013

Last Dark Lord Day they allowed "two per person", meaning I could buy two tickets with my name on it and that second ticket could be used by whoever, as long as they entered with me. I liked this because if you've got a buddy you want to go with, you don't have to risk one of you missing out. Of course some will use this to mule and of course FFF has a much greater production capacity than TG, but I really thought it was smoothly run from the ticket side of things. Waiting in line 3 hours to get my beer however...not so smooth.

Darkness Day was nice that they handed out wristbands until they had no more...but of course TG does not have that sort of room to handle campers.

17. Does it cost money to make these tickets and print names on them?

18. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (390) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

Can I pay you money to stop posting on this thread?

19. dujayhawk

dujayhawk Aficionado (135) Kansas Aug 8, 2011

I'll double whatever he is offering.

funhog, Stevedore, sean_mpls and 2 others like this.
  20. BottleCaps80

I've got a $20 as well!

funhog, Stevedore and sean_mpls like this.
  21. I'm guessing it won't stop until he knows there's an Assassin bottle with his name on it set aside.

22. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

But my name is Mike Smith........

23. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I guess I didn't think this thread would turn into this. I merely wanted to remark how cool it was Assassin is getting closer...

EdwardFortyHands likes this.
  24. Fool!!! Nothing can ever simply be cool!!! Every release must devolve in to a nonstop "This is how it should be..." thread that has people fighting over hypothetical situations and creating problems so that they can solve it. Because if there is one thing I have learned is that up and coming successful breweries are idiots and don't know how to sell their own beer and some people who buy beer always can figure out a "fair" way to do it that magically guarantees that they get all bottles they want.
    /sarcasm

sacrelicio likes this.
  25. tgchief

tgchief Savant (305) Iowa Nov 30, 2010

Ya, me too (think it is cool that time is on our side and the beer is getting closer). In fact I can hardly wait to share a bottle with you. Send me a BM and I will make sure that you and I get a chance to enjoy some tasting notes from our bottles of Assassin 2014.

Cheers

26. Here here! Cheers to all. Hope to have a great time at A.D. 2014.

27. Brewzma

Brewzma Savant (425) Wisconsin Jun 2, 2013

After following this thread peripherally because like shawnp, I was just excited for Assassin to be nearing and wanted to hear how things were progressing, your post made me want to respond to commend you and Toppling Goliath on such an awesome gesture. The growth of TG has been awesome to follow and being able to get even a single bottle of any TG beer is cause for celebration with me and my friends as they're always a joy to drink and share. The interaction and connection with fans like with the Xhops releases, posts on here, and at events like the Great Taste of the Midwest (which was so much fun) that TG continues to do is refreshing in a world where as a consumer I typically feel like just a dollar sign. It just reinforces my desire to support businesses like TG. I look forward to seeing TG continue to grow and can't wait for Assassin Day. I know you guys will do things the right way to make it an amazing experience that even if some of us miss out on bottles, the rest of the day will be worth it. Cheers and wishes for much success to one of the best Brewers and Breweries out there.

28. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (435) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

I'm also looking forward to AD. If a concrete date gets posted soon, I'm gonna try my best to make it out to the release. It'd be a bonus to share some brews with you.

Brewzma likes this.
  29. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

This here gents, is why Clark and the TG crew are as stand up as anyone. Ill be looking forward to it Chief.

30. After reading the last 15 posts and then Clark's post above, I'm surprised I don't see an Assassin 2015 post out there by someone hoping to be the first one to post and have Clark offer to share a bottle with them. HA!

redblacks75 likes this.
  31. So you're the guy the earth revolves around. Pleasure to meet you.

32. I realize I came across sounding like an A-hole. I got a little side tracked from the point I was trying to make. The guy that I posted after originally, stated it was slow getting a beer in the taproom. People not huddling around the bar would clearly help that situation. Especially at a place as small as TG. Another guy posted that there is a special place to stand and order beers from at the bar. There sure is. And people were standing in that exact spot drinking their beers. 350 people at the KBBS release? A little tough to get a beer. With the expectations stated in this thread, probably more than 350 showing up at the Assassin release. That's speculation of course. If nothing changes it will be all that much harder to get a drink. And to get to your world revolves around me statement, Which maybe I deserved, ( I didn't attack anyone personally though)I would only be one of hundreds benefitting from better/quicker access to the bar/beers. There are more options to get the beer in our hands quicker, but this is one way we could help TG out and our fellow drinking mates too.

33. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Wow - amazing what a year can do... I handed out numbers last year at the Assassin/Mornin Delight release...by hand, as people arrived. Haha not sure that would be possible this year ;)

The TG crew are top notch and are completely customer-centric. They'll do what they feel is best and, inevitably, some people will be disappointed.

Can't wait to crack beers with the crew and everyone else. We knew last year would be the last of the "low key" releases for TG. Their emergence to the top tier of local(ish) breweries was easy to predict.

Cheers Clark, Mike and the rest! You are class acts.

34. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

Another option is avoid the shit-show. Release straight to distribution.

35. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Passive approach....nice....

mnbearsfan and redblacks75 like this.
  36. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

Another option to avoid the shit-show. Have people write essays to stroke your enormous ego. Nobody would actually do that, right Shaun?

You want Assassin? Sing for your supper!

37. Brewzma

Brewzma Savant (425) Wisconsin Jun 2, 2013

That would be fantastic!

38. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (435) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

There sure is a lot of hate in this thread. Looking like something out of Chicagoland/Michigan releases. Wow. I didn't think it could get worse.

BorisKarloff and BrettHead like this.
  39. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (370) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

We've still got months man, check in on the hate level when this is 30 pages.

40. The more I think about this, the more I like this idea. Kind of like earning a scholarship for college. TG hasn't really been conventional compared to their peers, this could be another feather in their cap.

Then again, who wants to sit around and grade papers after drinking beer? Not to mention when they inevitably have to buy software to weed out all the people plagiarizing their essays from the web...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.