1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Toppling Goliath (TG) Assassin 2014...

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by shawnp, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agree 100% with Pintofbrown on this. People do need to releax! No need to start lining up outside the brew pub prior to noon. This should be a laid back day and the tap room probably wont be full.

They wont fill MD growlers. Not a chance.... Most (maybe maybe even all)who drive up to decorah for MD will probably be able to get thier 2 chalices of MD.

Lets not make it a shit show peoples, lets make it a relaxing day of drinking several world class brews in Iowa! See you all there! Cheers!
    tourdot likes this.
  2. I don't suppose my mule system will work for this event :(
  3. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (370) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

Those day's are long gone. Seriously.
  4. redblacks75

The fact that people from four different states are commenting about what time they should be there is proof you better get there early.
  5. drmcleod10

drmcleod10 Savant (475) Missouri Oct 14, 2013

I just so happened to be going to IC this weekend so I thought why not make the trek… I've never been
  6. redblacks75

You absolutely SHOULD make the trek.
  7. Sad but true...
  8. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

For those making the trek to TG today for King Sue and MD.... Enjoy beer friends!
    4DAloveofSTOUT and Seefeldt like this.
  9. Curt1

Curt1 Savant (275) Minnesota Nov 15, 2010

MD blew at 12:20!
  10. Curt1

There's still King Sue on tap though, amongst many other amazing beers
  11. BottleCaps80

So MD keg lasted a whole 20 minutes? Hope that dude from Missouri isn't on his way there still.
  12. But wasn't it his fault for starting the hype train in the first place? Surely no one would have thought to get there early until they all read his posting. ;)

In all seriousness, I was really hoping that the more optimistic posters above would be correct, but I thought it might go down about like it did. I would love to make it down to TG some day, but it may be more rewarding to show up on a day when there is not a big release going on and plan to hang out in the taproom for awhile at a more leisurely pace...
  13. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

That's the way to do it. I brought my mom down there the week of thanksgiving. Nothing special on tap but good food from the armory, good beers from TG and a few purchased in town. Lots of fun to be had even if the big beers aren't on.
    DoctorRock likes this.
  14. redblacks75

There is nothing casual about limited, or rare beer anymore.

Once again those days are long gone. Just look at how Hunahpu turned out today.
    BrettHead and huskermike12 like this.
  15. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (450) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

I hate beer.
    mattafett likes this.
  16. tourdot

tourdot Savant (415) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

Just wanted to say thanks to TG for tapping the MD, King Sue, and their other delicious brews today and letting us share some bottles in their tap room! It was a very relaxed day and a lot of fun hanging out with fellow BA's. No doubt it beat the hell out of being at CCB! Hopefully we can all help keep future events at TG as enjoyable as they were today. Cheers!
  17. Curt1

More like 30 minutes since they let people in 10 min early. We showed up maybe 30 minutes early, and there was about 7 cars in the parking lot from a few different states. I knew it wouldn't last long at all with the 1/6 bbl and 2 glass limit; they said they got 74 pours when it blew. But they had plenty of King Sue to go around.
  18. rangerzx3

rangerzx3 Zealot (75) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2012

I got there at 12:30 and they were out. Met some nice people and still had some good beer though!
  19. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (845) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Mornin' Delight tasted as fantastic as it always does, but King Sue blew me away today. Wow, that beer can wipe the floor with the best of them.
    shadetree67 and redblacks75 like this.
  20. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

King Sue was still going when we left around 730, good stuff.
  21. redblacks75

Stupid beer.
    huskermike12 likes this.
  22. Roudy1

Roudy1 Savant (260) Iowa Sep 29, 2012

Well, luckily for TG, Hunahpu's Day should at least give them an idea of how NOT to run an event, what kind of employees NOT to hire, and how much ego NOT to have. Cheers to you, CCB.
  23. drmcleod10

drmcleod10 Savant (475) Missouri Oct 14, 2013

Both were absolutely fantastic. King sue may be the best DIPA out there. Head and shoulders above heady and abrasive.

Nice bottle share as well at the bar.

Worth the trip.
    Curt1 likes this.
  24. aliving1

aliving1 Savant (275) Minnesota Aug 3, 2011

I had a fun time there yesterday. Saw a familiar face and met some new ones. Thanks to those that were sharing some pours from their bottles. Mornin Delight was delightful and King Sue was sublime.
    drmcleod10 likes this.
  25. wspanic201

wspanic201 Aficionado (205) Iowa Apr 26, 2010

I don't know the full story, but I would say how the event was run is only part of the issue. When I was in Decorah last spring for Kentucky Brunch day, even though things were relaxed and well run by Clark and crew, there were still a group (at least one) of shadesters that would go through the line, get a bottle, add it to their stash, give their sticker to another in their group, and then go through again, and repeat. Luckily there was extra beer and this wasn't a widespread issue.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is the breweries, in many cases, are the last people I would blame for this. There are people within the beer scene that feel entitled to cheat the system in place at these events in order to hoard as many of whatever special release as they can. The ironic thing is the people who help build they hype are in most cases the people who bring these special events to their demise.
    Marksy likes this.
  26. Lionhawk

Lionhawk Savant (340) Iowa Nov 14, 2012

http://www.beeradvocate.com/communi...lans-to-distribute-the-beer-next-year.159575/

@TgBC @tgchief I hope you gentlemen had a great time and learned a bunch about how not to do an event. Not sure i have heard much positive about the event at all from customers. The fact that this event is now done...for good...says alot about how CCB felt about how it went as well. I thought KBBS day last year was a great time but that was probably 225'ish people. Add a zero and you are probably much closer to this years realease of tg stouts.

@wspanic201 Its a shame that having to plan an event basically means you have to make it cheater proof...but this is one key to an event of this size, probably the key. Alcohol and irritated people bc there are cheaters amongst them is a great way to ruin an event. Hearing about all the people that got stuff stolen (glassware, beer, etc) is ludicrous. Have some respect for everyone involved.

Isn't the University of Minnesota responsible for creating a widely used psychological exam?! That's pretty close by! Maybe that should be a prequisite for admission to determine peoples tendencies! :confused: Obviously a joke....just too good of a time last year and don't want this to go the way of Huna Day.
  27. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Are you referring to the University of Minnesota Spankalogical Protocol?
  28. Kentucky Brunch Day was a little crazy last year but still a fantastic day. People sleeping in the parking lot needs to be eliminated.

Assassin/Mornin' Delight Day last year.. that was the best beer release and event I've ever been to.

Either way, there are undoubtedly going to be more people this year.. and having gone before sadly doesn't translate to anything more than a badge of honor for anyone.

Whatever they do.. I look forward to it again and know they'll do what they need to do in order to make it another great time.
  29. "Now I'm Prune Tracy! Take that, Dick F..."

Back on thread...I bet if the Chief just tells everyone to not bother showing up early, all will go splen-didlly-didly. (okay, MOSTLY back on thread)
  30. BottleCaps80

I think that Huna Day 2014 shows that some people are assholes and will do anything to try and take advantage of the system - meaning - making and selling duplicate tickets.

Seems the only way to circumvent this is to allow 1 ticket per person. Name must be printed on ticket. Person MUST show ID at event to verify they are the actual ticket holder. Non-transferable. No proxies. Done.
    dkrep likes this.
  31. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (365) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

Seemed like thats what CCB planned to do originally but in the end caved in an attempt to make everyone happy, which resulted in a mess where even more people were unhappy.
  32. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (515) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

The debacle at CCB is 100% on CCB. Not the assholes that exploited a problem. If you are going to sell tickets that guarantees the holder a product, you are responsible for accounting and tracking the redemption of those tickets. It amazes me how bad some of these breweries can F-up these release events. Assholes are always going asshole. And what do assholes do? They take a shits! It is the breweries responsibility to minimize how and where they take that dump. CCB's event management was the equivalent of an All-You-Can-Eat Chinese buffet in a crappy neighborhood, three hours after the lunch rush, with an out of order sign on the men's room and the single stall in the women's that barely flushes due to too many feminine hygiene products clogging it... That shits going to be overflowing before you know it.
    BrettHead, McRyan, Ish1 and 2 others like this.
  33. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Imagine BUYING a ticket to Assassin Day GUARANTEEING you the ability to buy 3 bottles. You arrive that day after travelling 22 hours, ready to have fun and knowing you'll be leaving with 3 bottles of a beer you've never tried before and can't wait to enjoy.

You see people walking out with CASES of Assassin though. SWEET, I CAN BUY MORE!

Later, after waiting in lines for 3-4 hours, you are told the beer is gone and you are S.O.L.

That's what happened in FL.

How would you feel if that happened to you in IA after traveling a couple hours? 22 hours? Would you be "cool" with it?
    Bond111, lurpy1 and redblacks75 like this.
  34. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

I really love all the hypotheticals about what will happen on assassin day. Maybe the beer fairy will be there and we will all get free kbbs but while we are patiently waiting in line the beer fairy's meth addicted cousin will be rifling through our cars stealing all of our stuff and his brother will be inside raiding all of the loons we brought*.

Some people are asshats and will be no matter the format. When TG decides on the format they will let us know and we will all flock down there like the Viking horde the local college is named for.

*it will probably just be Clark who raids our loons.
    Mplsmetro57 likes this.
  35. Every thread I read to try to get away from the huna thread still seems to be a huna thread. I will say that the tg guys will never let that happen and that having been at huna day, it was fun even with the chaos. And there was definitely love for the tg brews
  36. wspanic201

wspanic201 Aficionado (205) Iowa Apr 26, 2010

Really looking forward to Assassin day, you guys. It's gunna be great.
  37. Erdinger2003

Erdinger2003 Savant (450) Iowa Sep 16, 2005

Everyone I met from CCB were very good people. The day started fine and didn't get weird until after more people got in than should have. My hypothesis is that this beer hype gets the locals looking for money worked up as I heard of people selling fake tickets right outside of the brewery the day before as well as Stub Hub.

Those people are the ones who took from the brewery and everyone's good time, as well as people selling/trading beer online for profit instead of looking to hook other beer people up.

When I started trading 7 years ago people started BIFs every week and they didn't try and get the most from the least amount of beer, they tried to outdo each other by giving more and more. These are good beer people.

If there was just one single link in the irritations and fighting to get more beer, it would be because the beer economy is tight and everyone is fighting as if they can get more.

SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO NOTE: Craft beer will never be so big everyone will get the biggest names possible. More and more people will not get the big whales.

If their reaction is to fight and get mad, then they will force brewers to either get creative or break the awesome tradition of getting together with good people sharing good beer. Violence and beer have never mixed in craft, but with more and more people getting into craft and the best brewers trying to keep craft craft, they are going to keep it small batches and not force the growth of a brewery past its abilities to keep their beer the best they can make it. Some breweries will go and brew more and more, but they never last after such a transition. Would you want more of a less quality product?

What if Westvleteren 12 is coming to America in six packs? Let's force those monks to brew more and more for profit and not for the love of beer. What happens when we push craft brewers so far that they start becoming Budweiser? This fighting and stealing is a support for the Budweiser-ing of craft beer.

We don't drink craft just for the taste, it's for the culture. The respect for handmade craft, smaller communities. Instead of ripping apart the craft breweries we have, let's make more. Spread it around. There are many amazing beers I've never had that have existed and I will never get to try them. Come to peace with that and use it as inspiration to love your local craft beer more as a national treasure, not a teet to suckle dry until it dies.
  38. Erdinger2003

Assholes can be assholes all they want but breweries can't have a finite amount of product? I would like to see people start to regulate themselves as free and beautiful human beings soon so they can't put the blame here or there. Too much expecting others to make their own life happier. It's up to you to get some, legally, not the breweries. If if is the breweries responsibility then only the best friends get to come have some, no outsiders...not fun.

Didn't get any beer? Boo hoo for your first world problems. Life goes on.
  39. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Life does go on, but if you purchase something and don't receive it, there is a responsibility on the seller to make it right. The tickets people purchased for Huna Day, was not just to drink the tap beer, but also GUARANTEED them the ability to purchase 3 bottles of Huna. If you didn't have a reasonable chance to purchase them, then the seller mislead you and needs to correct it. Not sure what part of that you're missing.
    Erdinger2003 likes this.
  40. Erdinger2003

So if you don't get payment right away beat up others that got theirs? Don't go back to the brewery for rectification?

So if there are no more cars that I want in a lot, I can see the last guy to get his car and try and take it from him?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.