1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Total Wine and More...the biiiig box has arrived in CT!

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by codasnap52, Dec 8, 2012.

1. I live in Norwalk and am going to head to TW after work today. I'm very excited about this. Winenation was "okay" but for the huge shelves they didn't have much of it full of beer.

2. Was there last week, wasn't overly impressed.

3. What were you not impressed by? Certainly not price as $19 for BCBS can't be found anywhere else. Selection seems pretty darn good, although I didn't see founders breakfast stout or SN Narwhal when I was there last. I work in the Bronx and they were at Skibbo's. Not sure if that is a CT thing or a Total Wine thing. Got myself some Brown Shugga' and plenty of other good stuff, though.

4. Knifestyles

Knifestyles Savant (455) New York Jun 7, 2005

It's a Total Wine thing as both FBS and Narwhal are/have been available in CT.

They probably just missed the boat on getting it in on time as both were already released well before the opening of the store.

garfscores likes this.
  5. I wouldn't guess their strategy is to continually sell things without making a profit on them. I would guess that it's less to do with luring people in and more to do with leveraging their size to discourage competition. A company that can afford to lose money in a territory to stifle their competition typically will only lose that money until the competition is gone, leaving them open to making significant profits when other options disappear.

I believe they call this something along the lines of "the wal-mart effect". It's arguable how good or bad it is, as it affects many different perspectives, the consumer will celebrate the low prices, but small local businesses will suffer, potentially having long term effects on the local economy in the area. A classic example is the family owned hardware store in the town where a wal-mart opens, they can't get the sales volume at their current margins to sustain business and they can't make enough margin at any sales volume to compete with the big stores prices so they face the stark reality of having no other option but to close their business.

6. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (335) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

I think this was the main argument about allowing them to open and operate in CT in the first place. Personally, something seemed very fishy about WineNation's demise. I know most have attributed it to bad management (or whatever) but the shuttered storefront of a large retail location sure made it easier to allow Total Wine to open in its place. I doubt Total Wine would have opened here were it not to take the place of WineNation.

Also, I heard from semi-reliable sources that the low prices should last approx another 4-6 weeks. At which time they will approach more normal levels (though I'm sure with a few deals here and there). Time will tell I guess.

7. EDNOSE

EDNOSE Savant (255) Connecticut Oct 27, 2007

I went in today for the first time. Prices amazing ... Selection seemed comparable to other of the better beer places in the area. They will need to get the hook into people with a step up in selection or keep the prices low to justify the drive for me.

8. I stopped in yesterday. It's an impressive setup, no doubt, but there's nothing there you can't find elsewhere. The stupid-low prices are nice ($10 for a FRESH 4-pack of Ruination? $7 for Brooklyn BCS? Wow.) Whoever said they bought Flower Power there, I don't know what's up but it's all gone now. Maybe it sold out but I couldn't find a single bottle of it. I like TW, but if prices normalize I won't feel motivated to go there over my other stand-bys in the area.

9. Knifestyles

It was there at the very end of the aisle (towards the beer tasting kiosk) with the other Ithaca stuff (shelf tag is still there). They only had the shelf stocked with a few six packs, but I saw at least two other people buying a six pack when I bought mine.....hopefully they'll restock.

10. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

fyi the Hanssens Oude Gueuzes are priced at $8.99 now. Also they have a price tag on the shelves for Oude Beersel Oude Kriek Vieille at $5.99 for the 375ml but they don't have any in stock right now, hopefully they'll get some in soon.

11. ipc2000

ipc2000 Savant (300) New York Dec 9, 2012

Was stuck in terrible traffic on I-95 near Norwalk last night so pulled off to check this place out. When I got there a guy was unloading a couple cases of Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout bombers onto the special release shelf. He then put a 12oz price tag on the shelf of $4.50/btl. So on the off chance they were in the system wrong I grabbed two and took them up to the checkout. No such luck - but they were $10.25/btl. Compare this to the $16.50 I paid in NYC and the $23/btl they wanted at Half Time upstate. Shelves were mostly in disarray and a lot of stuff was out of stock. Staff was clueless, but won't hold that against them. I'm sure this place created a few jobs (even if it'll hit the local mom and pops hard down the road). Will be curious to see how/if prices rise.

12. Stopped in the other day, apparently right after the last BCBCS walked out the door. Good prices but nothing on the shelf I couldn't get locally at a decent bottle shop and the drive would eat up the savings for me.

The staff was very helpful, every rep I saw said hello and offered to help hunt around and check stock and made sure to hand me off to another rep when needed, so they obviously have a proactive customer service policy. Claimed they could special order some stuff that can't be gotten in central CT, so we'll see if they come through on that.

13. I believe there was failed attempt to open a Total Wine in Brookfield on Federal Road in the old Bernie's location. I remember an article in the Danbury News Times about a large national retailer that wanted to open the largest liquor store in CT (the article did not name the retailer) but was denied due to close proximity to other liquor stores in the area. The southwest corner of the state continues to be terribly neglected - no breweries and few (maybe only one) decent beer bars (My Place)...maybe some day things will change.

14. EDNOSE

You are selling the Southwest corner a little short with Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, Gingerman in SoNo, Half Full just opening up in Stamford in the last 6 months or so. You mentioned My Place. Little Pub has a nice solid selection and good rotating drafts. Plan B in Stamford also offers a good selection. It's not New Haven, but it's definitely improved in the last 5 years. Total Wine is a nice addition to 99 Bottles, Anconas, Fairgrounds and a few other beer retailers. Plus we have ready access to Westchester County!

15. I work at the TW in Sarasota, FL. I consider myself to know some things about beer etc. There are a couple of us that can keep a conversation about beer, more then half of us. There is a WoB across the street so we mostly drink there when they go out. I tend to join them on occasions, I'd rather drink at home for much cheaper. Hell we even get 10% off all bottle singles. I work the beer aisles probably once a week and some times on weekends. Its fun and I enjoy talking to some cool people about beer. I have met a lot of good connections just wandering around.

I can't wait till winter beers go on sale, we have so much left over. Singles were all .99 and 3.99$ for 6-packs for fall beers.

16. Hi Ednose, those locations are pretty much Southeast CT rather than Southwest - driving from where I live in New Fairfield to Stamford, Norwalk etc. is probably a good hour at least since there are no efficient east/west routes...the Danbury area is pretty lacking which surprises me given how populated it is. And my comments were pretty much beer bar and brewery related - we do have access to some good retail stores esp. DeCicco's and Whole Foods on the way. Here's hoping a brewery or beer bar or two opens on my side of the state some day (we did have Colorado once)!

17. On what map of CT are Stamford and Norwalk southeast???

18. Knifestyles

Route 7 gets me from Norwalk to Danbury in something like 20 minutes, typically.

19. EDNOSE

Exactly! I'm pretty sure I have my west and east right. Anyway, would agree that New Fairfield is a bit of an oasis regarding Breweries and bars. Danbury beer scene always surprises me how it's pretty lacking bar/restaurant wise. I have been to Stanziatos relatively close to the mall a few times and they have a good bottle selection and usually some interesting drafts. Fairly close to New Fairfield.

20. Sorry, my brain must have been fried...I live in New Fairfield which is Northwest vs Stamford, Norwalk etc being Southwest. Have made the trek to the Gingerman in Norwalk, long drive, lousy parking situation...head to New Haven once in a while, still an hour drive and again parking issues. When you see new breweries/bars opening they all seem to be in the Hartford area or along the coast - absolutely nothing on the Northwest side of the state. I can find a draft here or there at a local restaurant but no place I would consider beer centric. You would think Federal Road in Danbury would be ripe for a beer bar.

21. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

I live about 15 minutes from Danbury and am constantly hosting impromptu tastings at Stanziatos since I'm friends with Matt and I can honestly (and unfortunately) say that the whole of Danbury is more a college kid club scene instead of beer bars. We're working on big things at Stanzi's and happily there's a bunch of good brands finally coming into CT recently. The best beer place near the Danbury place is still "My Place" in Newtown. Mark is a really great guy, Couple of caliber taps and something delicious on cask.[/quote]

22. [/quote]

Thanks, will have to check out Stanziato's - have never been there before - looks like a lot of restaurants are opening up off exit 4. Have known Mark at My Place for many years, don't get there as often as I used to these days. Downtown in New Fairfield Biscotti's always has Allagash White and Capt Lawrence Pale - this is about the best I've run into without having to drive to My Place.

23. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (225) New York Apr 25, 2009

We almost always keep something delicious around at Stanziato's, Always try to keep it on the freshest seasonal rotation to boot.

FarmingtonRiver likes this.
  24. Alright. I've changed my tune. Selection is nothing special. Nice place to get mix a six stuff if you want to sample. Got back from bev max today and I was blown away by how good the selection was. Are they bringing a ton more stuff in or was I totally missing it before? Only problem was that everything was super expensive, but they had an entire display of imperial stout trooper and a ton of BCBCS.

25. jmarce

jmarce Savant (320) Connecticut May 15, 2011

they have Tilquin Oude Gueuze 375mls for $8.99 and 750mls for $16.99 in stock now, best price I've seen for a really good gueuze.

averagjoe3 and Knifestyles like this.
  26. great price!

27. Knifestyles

Total just got a fresh shipment of Flower Power in (bottled January 8th).....$28.88/case.

WHOA.

28. :eek: WTF!!!:eek: That is insane!

29. That almost can't be real...

30. So it turns out it indeed wasn't real. My friend stopped in TW last night and asked a store employee (suited up like Agent Smith, earpiece and all) who swore up and down that FP was "on order, we don't have a single bottle in the store." My friend then walked not ten freaking yards to an entire shelf of FP at $9.49/6 pack. Never trust a guy in a tie with an earpiece. Give me a fat guy with facial hair any day. That is the guy I trust to help me find beer.

31. Knifestyles

I'll have to scan my receipt later.......did you still buy a 6pk? I didn't see what the shelf tag said, but the only thing I purchased was the case that was sitting on the floor in front of the shelf and it came to $28.88.

32. I saw the same thing last night when I went in. Their website says $6.49/ 6pack, but the shelf tag did say $9.49.

33. Knifestyles

34. :eek:

35. No refuting that. What a crazy price. I guess there needs to be more communication between their web team and the store itself. This is confusing.

36. Knifestyles

There's definitely an interesting dynamic going on in that store when it comes to stock/pricing/general product knowledge/etc.

One of the Dupont ciders that originally wasn't even in the system suddenly started ringing up at $99.99 per bottle just a week later (375ml and 750ml alike). One clerk insisted this was the correct price, another clerk insisted that it still wasn't even in the system and yet another quoted a more realistic price which the other two went back and forth about. Magically, the bottles appeared in the system minutes later at a very reasonable price (i.e. ~$5.49/375ml).

I've been buying bottles of the Heavy Seas BBBW each time I've been there for over a week now and they still haven't put it into the system. Each time I go up to buy one, we have to go through the whole look-up process.

So there are definitely some kinks that they're still working out.

As for the Flower Power, I have no idea what the deal is....but I'm certainly not about to start complaining.

37. I highly doubt they priced that flower power like that on purpose. Maybe it went into the system as the price they bought it at? $6.49 / 6 pack is less than you could buy a case of it in NY even.

Better yet, maybe the person entering the prices has "upside-down dyslexia" - a completely real thing I didn't just make up - and meant to hit the 9 instead of the 6 on the keyboard.

That still seems like a pretty good price for FP in CT. Amity never has it for less than $13

38. With prices like that for fp they will go the way of their previous tenant. (wn)

39. Knifestyles

Not sure if you've been to either store (Wine Nation vs. Total Wine), but the former certainly didn't go out of business for their rock-bottom prices. It was their lack of selection and turnaround/re-stocking of fresh product that really did them in...which the latter certainly doesn't seem to have any issues with. With these kinds of prices, the stock is almost guaranteed to turnaround much faster....which, in turn, brings in more fresh product.

If I'm hesistant about buying Flower Power at any other locations, it's mostly due to one of two factors:

1) Price
    2) Freshness

Both are effectively taken care of in this situation.

Moral of the story: Total Wine will absolutely not go out of business because Flower Power is priced so low.

40. There's this story about a dike in holland i'd like to tell you about.