1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Total Wine - Roseville, MN

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Stimulus199, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Steasy66

Steasy66 Savant (345) Minnesota Feb 23, 2012

They had about 5 cases in the walk in and some 4 packs on the seasonal shelf.

McRyan likes this.
  2. RobH

RobH Savant (435) Maryland Sep 23, 2006

Hello Cyclone8:

It simply doesn't work the way you intimate. Alcohol products cannot be "set aside" in a different state to be shipped in to another state. That is illegal. All products must be sourced via MN distributors who are licensed to service the store's location.

Once things get rolling, and business relationships with area distributors solidify more, there will be more special-release beers available in the store at great prices.

hardy008, evilgenius1917 and Chaz like this.
  3. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Now, to find out if Sculpin is worth $12.49/sixer...

McRyan likes this.
  4. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (450) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

It annoys me when people post on here and make it sound like they know what they're talking about when they don't. And here I went and did that very thing (in my post about them - Total Wine - stocking up). My apologies! I was making assumptions about something (liquor distribution) that I know very little about. I just couldn't figure out why else they would have a passel of Pappy (at least 6 bottles of 10 year and a 12 year) as well as George T Stagg, Elijah Craig 23 etc without amassing it out of state. Thanks for the correction, I will attempt to stick to what I know in the future:).

barrybeerdog and Chaz like this.
  5. Chaz

Chaz Champion (840) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

You need not apologize, if you ask me.

The Beer Advocate userbase is comprised of both consumers ("Joe Sixpack") and Three Tier employees at all levels, and as individuals are not required to state their relationship as such when they sign up to the use this site, it's can be (and is) a free-for-all when it comes to posting information to the forums.

Kudos to Total Wine's @RobH for being up-front about his identity, from the get-go. :cool:

barrybeerdog, denali55421 and McRyan like this.
  6. RobH

:) No apology necessary. Alcohol laws in the U.S., with the three-tier system, are complex and simply make no sense to most of us. I was neither aware of it nor did I understand it before I got into the industry. As Americans, we are accustomed to being able to ship or have shipped across state lines anything that can be legally bought and sold.

To you and to all on this thread who've come and checked out our new store in Roseville, THANK YOU. And to all others we hope you'll come check us out.

As previously stated, we're just opening our doors in what is for us a brand new market, so in time the selection will get even deeper and wider.

hardy008 and Mplsmetro57 like this.
  7. RobH

Thanks for the hat tip. Much appreciated!

Cheers to Beer.

Rob

Chaz likes this.
  8. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

I noticed you had a good selection of belgian ales, but only a couple sours. Is this just due to the new store? what kind of Guezue/Kriek/Lambic selection do you typically carry? I was excided to buy a bottle of (cheap) Lindeman's Cuve Renee Guezue, but it was the only lindeman's you didnt have and the beer manager wasnt familiar with it. I dont recall even seeing Rodenbach (but I may have missed it).

9. RobH

It is due to the store being new and not yet fully stocked with all of the beers approved for sale in the store. Here is what is supposed to ultimately be available:

Gueuze:
    Lambickx and Timmerman’s Oud Geuze. I am inquiring as to why Lindemans Gueuze Lambic is not in our system for this store, as the distributor’s (Wirtz Beverage) website indicates they carry it.
    Kriek:
    We currently have Lindemans Kriek. Also should be getting Lambickx Kriek and St Louis Kriek Lambic
    Flanders Red/Flanders Oud Bruin:
    We have De Proef Zoetzuur Flemish Ale, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Monk’s Café Flemish Sour, and Petrus Aged Red. We should be getting Rodenbach Flemish Red and Grand Cru, Petrus Oud Bruin, Verzet Oud Bruin,

BrettHead and JohnSnowNW like this.
  10. MCImes

Good to know. Thanks for the reply. I am always interested in Hanssen's Oud Guezue if you guys can get that too (I dont think its always available, but its semi-common around here).

and some of the more rare/occasional belgian offerings like De Cam Guezue or Lambiek, Bzart guezue, or cantillon. Those are only available from the distrubitor occasionally, but I'd love to see them at TW every once and a while.

11. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

I would say it is! But Big Eye quite nice too!

12. ja09

ja09 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Mar 15, 2014

Anyone know what the store hours are? Thinking about stopping by earlier this morning on my way through Roseville. Can't seem to find the hours or phone # anywhere.

13. ja09

ja09 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Mar 15, 2014

14. hope we get this in cans soon so much fresher/ better tasting

hardy008 likes this.
  15. Two Hearted for $7.99 was pretty nice to see. Same with $7.99 for Ethos 4paks. If those are normal prices and not just Grand Opening specials I'll stop in there when in Roseville.

16. RobH

I'll check on those to ensure we're in contact with those distributors.

McRyan likes this.
  17. I'm a huge Total Wine fan. Shopped there all the time while working in Jacksonville, FL. If they came to Roch, I would never shop anywhere else...

18. I saw a post that they had CW BBBW so I stopped
    There on Saturday and he said they were out. I asked how much did you get to which he replied 1 case. I was thinking to myself what a small quantity for such a large store.

19. pillzsix

pillzsix Aficionado (150) Minnesota Mar 21, 2008

Still plenty at SLL, no limit. Also carry all of those sours MCImes is looking for (no Cantillion, Shelton Bros. doesn't send beer to MN anymore). We didn't even have to ask the corporate office if we were allowed to provide these great beers for our awesome customers!

20. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Sorry, but what's SLL?

McRyan likes this.
  21. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

Going to guess South Lyndale Liquors?

Chaz and SipIt like this.
  22. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (780) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

South Lyndale Liquors?

SipIt likes this.
  23. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

Thank you

24. These abbreviations are getting out of control.

25. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (780) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Gotta use abbreviations while in the car chasing trucks! :p

26. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

I didn't have a good experience with the manager. The pricing was wrong and the lady running the register asked for the non smiling and non thankful manager. Did even say sorry for your inconvenience! Ugh. I am disappointed.

barrybeerdog, nogophers and McRyan like this.
  27. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

I think you meant TAAGOOC

28. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

I think you meant TA^2GO^2C. Now isn't this so much more simple?

29. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (405) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

30. MCImes

Less than 1 week for them to get Cuvee Rene upon my (and probably others) request. Way to go. $10 is hard to beat too (although we should all mob their CV supply so they buy more and get a volume discount and mark it down to $9). They also have Schells Pils mixer for $12 and Blakkr for $16 or 17. I love you TW. You're sales people are so helpful they're almost too helpful (in a good way. keep it up)

Now I want to see Hanssen's Oud Guezue 750's for ~$17 and Ill be the happiest person on BA.

Also, it makes sense since they're a new store, but all their beer is dated recently, most if it from Feb or early March. blakkr was 3/4, coffee bender from 2/24 and day tripper was 3/5. Go get your hoppy beery goodness

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    McRyan, Mnmaverick and Chaz like this.
  31. Crentakey

Crentakey Aficionado (225) Illinois Sep 16, 2013

I used to shop at Total Wines' a lot down in Florida. They became too well known and it was impossible to get any major release there. When cigar city released Marshal Zhukov, most stores only got a one case. There were so many people that knew the distributors schedule that the day it arrived there were 30 people in line to get 12 bottles. I had a much better time building relationships with the local mom and pops.

32. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Savant (255) Minnesota Feb 28, 2014

Just saw the "Grand Opening" wrap on the Pioneer Press this morning... Did I miss something? Seems like Deja Vu... Nonetheless did they have anything special for this "Re-Grand Opening"?

33. MCImes

Is the Bloomington open yet? I drove by it on 494 but couldn't tell.

34. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

Nope. What a joke. When it does open, remember why it took so long (MLBA). Its directly related to the Sunday sales debate and the MLBA is anti-consumer.

35. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

I remember hearing june

36. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Savant (255) Minnesota Feb 28, 2014

Was everything up to this point a "soft" opening in Roseville?

37. MCImes

At least Total wine is here to shake the MN liquor industry up. They kinda deserve it for not changing for so many years...

38. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

Since apparently your customers are opposed to Sunday sales I would object to their characterization as awesome. Either that or you don't much about your customers. But thanks for shilling your wares in a thread not about your store.

39. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

I knew I should have kicked you in the shins yesterdays just because.

40. McRyan

McRyan Aficionado (230) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

What is happening here? SLL doesn't support Sunday sales? I knew there was a reason i stopped following them on Twitter. But couldn't remember.