1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Total Wine - Roseville, MN

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Stimulus199, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

During last years house debate on Sunday sales they testified against them saying that their customers didn't want it. As evidence that their customers did not want Sunday sales they said that none of them have ever asked about it.

Kicking in the shins, classic short person move. I would have assumed it was deserved though.

GeezLynn, BrettHead and McRyan like this.
  2. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Shins or toes. Can't reach any higher. Now, I'm off to South Lyndale to buy some beer.

3. Pug

Pug Savant (375) Minnesota Jun 6, 2012

Why would their customers (or any others) ask them about Sunday sales? We all know it's the law that we can't buy liquor on Sundays in Minnesota. I'm not going to roll up to my liquor store and ask if they were open on Sundays or complain to them about it. What would be the point?

4. will1256

will1256 Savant (380) Minnesota Dec 4, 2010

Apparently we should be contacting SLL with all of our grievances about local and statewide politics! They are going to be getting an earful about all these damn potholes in my street...

evilgenius1917 and McRyan like this.
  5. Dave2234

Dave2234 Savant (265) Minnesota Aug 20, 2013

Back on Total Wine, to avoid having anyone else get confused like me, I'll mention they have a store in Roseville, CA; so when you see references to Roseville on their website, it's not our Roseville. I might be more easily confused than most :) but I thought I'd pass that along. MN will probably be on the website in month or so.

Just to tie all the threads together, the Roseville store is open on Sundays!

6. HoudiniRN

HoudiniRN Savant (315) Minnesota Feb 28, 2014

I saw that too - but on the Sunday Pioneer Press they had a front page "wrapper" stating grand opening... Just just wondering if anyone knew of anything special for this new "grand opening"... I know some lucky few scored some Pappy when they opened their doors...

7. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

$7.99 for Two Hearted is a great deal, given it was $35 for a case when I visited the brewery last week. Is that a special or every day deal? Same for the Surly pricing? How is the singles collection?

For the corporate folks from Total Wine, I would recommend taking a look just across the border. Open 7 days a week for liquor sales and the majority of these Minnesotans will invade...er...visit WI on a regular basis during the summer and fall months on top of the regular Sunday crowd. I'd love to see Woodman's come to Hudson, but I think the chances are much better that TW shows up first.

8. hamham

hamham Aficionado (170) Minnesota Oct 26, 2011

it'll go up 50 cents for every area store that closes.

nogophers and maximum12 like this.
  9. GeezLynn

GeezLynn Advocate (500) Minnesota May 10, 2009

Or maybe it would go down 50 cents since (in theory) there would be fewer stores needing to pay their lobbyist's membership dues (MLBA). ;)

Not sure that anyone can say what will happen, but I've been to plenty of other states with Total Wine-type stores and Sunday sales, and higher prices is definitely not the rule.

10. Grocery stores in Hudson can't sell alcohol.

11. RobH

RobH Savant (435) Maryland Sep 23, 2006

Hello MCImes, following up to let you know the Lindeman's Cuvee Renee is now in stock in Roseville. Both 750mL and small format bottles are currently available.

Cheers

12. MCImes

MCImes Savant (360) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

Thank you so much. The store got it in stock within 7 days of me asking. Im a big fan to Total Wine so far. I've already got a few bottles :) I love CV and think it doest get enough love for how good and easily accessible it is

13. If you support the bill for Sunday liquor sales, you could ask the manager at your favorite store if they also support the bill. If they tell you they don't, then you have the power to kindly, (no need to complain) tell them that you will be taking your business elsewhere. This would send a very strong message to store owners that the public supports Sunday sales. Sorta a grassroots method for change.

UnderhillAcct, BeerGoogler and MCImes like this.
  14. RobH

Fantastic. Glad you got some!

15. Daver1

Daver1 Initiate (10) Minnesota Apr 23, 2014

I just found out Total Wine has withdrawn its license application for its new Bloomington store. What is going on?
    The store interior is practically finished too. Crazy. (confirmed in City of Bloomington Council Minutes April 21, 2014). I also learned Total Wine is maybe trying for a location in Burnsville next to SuperTarget - hope that one
    works out okay.

16. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

WTF Bloomington...

I'd actually prefer a location south of the river though. Burnsville would be great for me.

17. From everything I could find on Bursville's city web page, it appears the liquor license was approved on Tuesday night. If everything works out, they are looking to open in Aug-Sept.

18. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

If you watch the webcast, it appears there were issues with the Total Wine application & the city attorney stated the easiest way to deal with them was to submit a new application, which the company planned to do. Their guess was it would be back on the agenda in June.

19. MNMike

MNMike Aficionado (240) Minnesota Dec 3, 2013

Government is so efficient...

Ish1 likes this.
  20. http://burnsville.siretechnologies.com/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=895&doctype=AGENDA

See 7pm entry for video of the public hearing, resulting in the approval of the liquor license in Burnsville.

Yeaaaaah budddy

Background PDF: http://burnsville.siretechnologies....cerfgo1davq4r0rxoh/3126004252014123722646.PDF

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Ish1 likes this.
  21. shadetree67

shadetree67 Savant (330) Minnesota Sep 11, 2013

Bloomington bugs me. Every other city approves the license without issue. We need a tw in west bloomington

22. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Savant (460) Minnesota Jul 23, 2013

Bloomington will have nothing and like it!

23. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (735) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Is there any way to view your beer inventory on-line. The website does not allow that.

24. RobH

The Roseville store was recently made "live" on our website. If you go to it now and select 1) Pick Up My Order / Browse, 2) Minnesota and then 3) Roseville store it will bring up the inventory for that store and you can browse it.

Chaz, ZAP, XmnwildX12 and 1 other person like this.
  25. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

I knew I read something somewhere...

http://watchdog.org/132771/total-war-mn-liquor-lobby-takes-wine-superstore/

It sounds like Bloomington was going to open, but something or someone stopped it.

26. JMN44

JMN44 Aficionado (165) Minnesota Sep 19, 2013

I didn't see anything on the Total Wine website that would make me drive to Roseville instead of just going to my local liquor store. However, it's nice to have a store keep an updated beer list online. Maybe TW will force other stores to update available beer online too.

Did anyone else sense that the TW website used the absolute highest rating they could find for each beer? Sam Adams is a 91 and Founders Centennial is a 94! (according to Wine Enthusiast). Why not just use one rating source (BA) to be consistent?

27. wuuin

wuuin Aficionado (185) Minnesota May 16, 2007

not a business man, are ya.

barrybeerdog and KV12482 like this.
  28. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

If you are into trying a wide variety, the singles wall is fun.

29. RobH

Hello JMN44,

The essence of your point is heard.

But using the car industry as another example, if a car earns a spot on the Car & Driver 10 Best list, but not Motor Trend Car of the Year, wouldn't the brand advertise that it's a C&D 10 Best rather than only use Motor Trend as a rating source and not mention C&D at all, while just waiting until it receives accolades from Motor Trend? Brand marketers/advertisers are going to put their best foot forward, within reason.

The goal of citing rating scores (for beer, wine, spirits, cigars, etc.) is merely to provide an additional reference point for consumers. Some consumers are influenced heavily by "expert 3rd party" scores, while others couldn't give a hoot.

A noteworthy beer ratings source that Total Wine has not historically used is ratebeer, as their points algorithm seems to be way off from most other sources, with many scores being outliers either too high, or too low, to be comparable to the other sources.

Using Wine Enthusiast as a beer ratings source may seem wierd, however they have a very knowledgable and professional beer writer/enthusiast on staff who does their monthly beer reviews and scores. Again, it's just another reference point for consumers.

BeerAdvocate scores, along with DRAFT magazine, Wine Enthusiast, and when it comes out -- Beer Connoisseur, are the ones currently referenced.

BeerGoogler likes this.
  30. MNHazmat

MNHazmat Aficionado (175) Minnesota Oct 23, 2008

Any updates on the status of the Bloomington store? Have they been able to beat the MLBA roadblocks? I stare at that storefront all day out of my office window....

31. When this issue is combined with the Sunday growler and sales issue I can only draw one conclusion. MLBA = asshats (awaiting email from bros for inappropriate comment).

32. So funny it inspired me...

mjryan, KV12482, shadetree67 and 3 others like this.
  33. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

Hey wieners how far is Trader Joe's from Total Wine? 20 to 50 yards? How far from Edina Liquors? 3 miles? Trader Joe's/Aldi's might be unhappy being so close to Total Wine and the city of Edina may be talking to the city of Bloomington. I wouldn't entirely blame the MLBA or the MMBA. ;)

34. I would have made my screen name OpposingSundaySalesMeansYoureAnAsshat, but that was too long

Also, this thread became watched with my first post. I promise not to be inflammatory, I am just making a joke and a semi serious point. (and the word Asshat is awesome)

35. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

Chaz likes this.
  36. KV12482

KV12482 Aficionado (125) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

37. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (795) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Stimulus199, Chaz, Cyclone8 and 4 others like this.
  38. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

Where's the instant rimshot icon when ya need it?

P.S. Didn't Total Wine originally have 16 locations scouted for the state? I forget where I read that -- some business journal or other, a cuppla years back.

39. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

Total weiners will go into FFnF and see what they have and drop all their craft beer prices two to three dollars cheaper than FFnF. It's a sad day when we see this crap going on.