1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Total Wine To Add Growler Stations To 20 Stores By Year-End

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by OMsweetOM, Mar 13, 2013.

1. BeerLover99

BeerLover99 Member

Thanks for sharing the news. Hope NJ is one of those proud few. I was shocked when recent issue of NJ Monthly had craft beer on the cover and how it is "exploding" in the Garden State...LOL. Yeah, when you have nothing, something is BIG. ;)
    (P.S. I am not from Jersey, Chicago native/Great Lakes/Midwestern proud!)
  2. Smitty1988

Smitty1988 Member

Very true, I am all for drinking Local, but if I drink Local, I usually do it on site, I go to total wine for the stuff I cant find in local bars.
  3. ncaudle

ncaudle Member

I only know of 1 off the top of my head and, admittedly, it's a convenience type store with a gas station, just west of Richmond in Goochland
  4. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Member

what gas station my parents live near there. good selection and prices?
  5. RobH

RobH Member

I think what's being referred to is this place http://www.awshuckscountrystores.com/

Since they have a kitchen and serve hot food, they qualify under VA law with the appropriate license.

This is much more than just a gas station.
    ncaudle likes this.
  6. spookyspeeg

spookyspeeg Member

Nooooooo. That TW in Norwalk has a great selection, I was hoping to get some growler action.
  7. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Member

In NC stores cannot sell growlers, only brewpubs.
  8. ncaudle

ncaudle Member

I thought it was stores can not fill growlers. Sams sells pre-filled growlers filled at breweries.
  9. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Legally, on the Federal level, that's not a "growler" - it's simply a big bottle of beer.
    beertunes, Bitterbill and ncaudle like this.
  10. dennis3951

dennis3951 Member

The Buy Rite on Rt 22 in Bound Brook , does growler fills so it must be legal.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Member

Yeah, like what Climax used to do and Rogue does with their Dead Guy Ale. The latter still doesn't get a "glowing" review from me.;)
  12. Chaney

Chaney Member

I imagine the Virginia side of the DC area BAs area rejoicing. The Whole Foods locations have been doing this for a while now, with some that have full bars! I imagine this will happen there (here!).
  13. raveskdr

raveskdr Member

See the above posts, in regards to the requirements for stores to have growler fills in VA. Unless they try and skirt the rule, or the law changes (lol VA ABC)...
  14. digdug1810

digdug1810 Member

Yeah NJ does growlers at some places but not many have the license and I believe they aren't issuing new ones so if total wine wants it they will have to pay a hefty sum here in NJ

And to whom poked fun at NJ's craft scene, sure we don't have a lot of top rated breweries here in NJ but our distro is tops, and living close to Philly doesn't hurt, we have it pretty good here for beer : )
    GoGators and SoggyCoasters like this.
  15. Chaney

Chaney Member

Got it. I stand corrected. I didn't read all the posts beforehand.
  16. glaze3

glaze3 Member

Boca Park?
    Rizalini likes this.
  17. TicoCali

TicoCali Member

Are we f****ed ?
  18. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Member

California? Yes.
  19. jjchristiano

jjchristiano Member

TW must be responding to Joe Canal's in NJ that seems to be attracting more of the beer enthusiasts with their growler filling station and inventory of the premium bottled stuff. Total Wine has all the NJ distributor standard craft beer offerings and probably sells a lot more cases of wine.
  20. SoggyCoasters

SoggyCoasters Member

Hunterdon Distributors is a relly big reason for the craft beer movement in NJ. Kane and Carton Breweries are awesome. If and when they start bottling more of the flagships they will become rapidy popular in the surrounding area.
    jjchristiano likes this.
  21. Rizalini

Rizalini Member

:)
    That's the one I usually go to, but both Boca Park & Henderson locations are installing growler stations!
    glaze3 likes this.
  22. NYRfan4ever

NYRfan4ever Member

I was told by an employee here at my TW in NJ that they are expanding my local store and as soon as the law passes they'll be having a growler station and tripling their beer selection. Cannot wait!!
    ufmj likes this.
  23. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

What "new law" would that be? Haven't heard anything and the recently passed update to the state small brewery/brewpub laws didn't have any changes for stores IIRC. Maybe a local law- there are only 4 Total Wine stores in NJ AFAIK.

NJ liquor stores with what the industry casually refers to as a "Broad C" license (now technically called "32 – Plenary Retail Consumption License with Broad Package Privileges"- which is actually an on- and off-premise license) can sell growlers, but the number of licenses is based on the town population and controlled by the municipality. Currently, as I understand it, for a store to change, they'd have to buy an existing license - if one is available.
  24. jjchristiano

jjchristiano Member

Went to a Kane tap takeover last week.
    Cloverleaf Tavern had 15 Kane offerings on tap for the day. I think their stuff is excellent. Loved all the Stouts. Unfortunately some of the highly regarded IPAs and such were gone already when we got there.
    I hope they do bottle some time in the near future.
  25. LeRose

LeRose Member

Wow.major jealous here. We frequent three Whole Foods and none of them have beer. New BJ Warehouse does but the selection is junk. Only grocer with beer I know of is a Wegmans and that is an hour and a half ride. By what I see, Total Wines will spread. Used to be one near us, now there are three in two states.
  26. MightySteede

MightySteede Member

NC: Stores can sell growlers, but growlers can only be refilled at the same brewery as the label.
  27. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Member

Maybe Wegmans in NoVa will start doing this, which would be awesome. Even though they're a grocery store, they have a kitchen, serve hot food, and unlike in Maryland are also permitted to sell beer (and wine).
  28. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Member

29. BeastLU

BeastLU Member

A Whole Foods in Fairfax, VA:

they have tap handles in three locations and about 20 different taps

[​IMG]
    hoppymcgee likes this.
  30. concealed

concealed Member

Which Whole Foods do you shop at? Massachusetts law allows for a single grocery store chain to sell alcohol in three locations throughout the state. Hadley, MA, River St. Cambridge and one other (I do not know which) sell alcohol. No growler fills allowed at grocery stores.
  31. Squatchito

Squatchito Member

Another issue with the Virginia law is when you have a on premise license, you can not legally have distributors in to conduct tastings. Not sure where Total Wine stands on this, but it certainly frustrates me to no end.
  32. BeastLU

BeastLU Member

VA ABC is awful.
  33. gregmoscetti

gregmoscetti Member

I don't know about elsewhere, but growler fills in Los Angeles and the surrounding breweries are generally overpriced... I'm cool with not having them at my local store. Fills range from $12-$17... up to $25+ at the Bruery.
  34. jesskidden

jesskidden Member

Yeah, that's a big factor in why so many retailers (where legal) are jumping on the fad.

"Hmmm... we could sell that ½ barrel keg of DFH 90 Minute Ale for $239 retail to some guy with a kegerator OR we could sell it a ½ gallon growler at a time for $15 to 31 different customers and make $465."

So, the customer pays more for an often poorly-bottled growler, without the benefits of a beer bottled on the modern bottle line of DFH. And the "savings" of not having to buy bottles (the customer has to do that!), labels, crowns, etc., all go right into the retailers' pockets.
    SunDevilBeer likes this.
  35. LeRose

LeRose Member

We are in SE Mass, so we hit Providence, East Prov, or Warwick, and the rules probably change again crossing state line. No Massachsetts Whole Foods are close enough! Not a big deal....the different rules are interesting.
  36. ressling

ressling Member

TW already has them in GA.
  37. OMsweetOM

OMsweetOM Member

This is why it's pointless to growler fill anything that makes a run on the production line. I stick with experimental and pub exclusive brews for my growler fills.
    Ispeakforthetrees likes this.
  38. jayhoppin

jayhoppin Member

Not sure about growler fills, but in CA, TW is opening a few beer tasting stands now.
  39. HKUSPC40

HKUSPC40 Member

Find out who the beer manager is and talk to him/her! TW allows the local beer managers to decide what beer goes on tap (assuming it's available from the distributors of course)!
  40. Mississipping

Mississipping Member

I was in South Carolina in December and stopped into the TW in Greenville. They had a growler station and had a pretty impressive tap list. I picked up a growler of Terrapin Liquid Bliss while there. They also had at least three different growler options, each with different prices. The cheapest was a clear growler, but they also had the standard brown glass, and a swing-top option, if I remember correctly. I was really quite impressed with the beer selection in general, and the growler fill options made it a go-to when I'm in the area again.