1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tough to get beers in 4-pks.

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by ridglens, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

ok, i'm wondering what the common consensus here is. It seems like (especially in the midwest), some tougher to find beers are coming out (at least originally) in 4-pks. That is, 4 12 oz bottles of beer. Then in the trading forums, it seems like everyone is always "ISO: Black Note 4-pk" or KBS, BB4d, Bourbon County (better example 6 months ago), etc....

As a guy that usually busts my butt to hunt some of these down, i tend to ignore many of these trades as "not worth it", even if it's about on $4$. Tons of stores break these 4 pks up and sell them as singles, and many many have a limit of 1 pk or sometimes 1 btl. Other beers that are in small bottles but don't happen to be in 4-pks together (RR stuff, some Lost Abbey, Cantillon, westy, etc) are always referred to as singles.

So i guess i'm asking, am i wrong on this? i feel like (cost aside), sending out 4 bottles totaling 48 oz of rare-ish beer is not the same as sending one larger bottle... I guess, in nerd terms, i'm having an issue with the "units" here. I think perhaps this is feeding into the "greedy midwest traders" storyline, too, that just because the beer is sometimes attached to three others and is therefore by convention cheaper, doesn't mean we want to get rid of 4 of them at once! (it is entirely possible that this is "just me")

Not trying to hype these beers or anything (hell they are too hard to get as it is), i'm not nearly that sensitive and don't much care, just a beer geek musing/wanting a light-hearted discussion about trade forum tendencies on a mildly boring afternoon ;)

2. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

So you're happy they're cheaper for you, but unhappy that they lose some trade value? Something something have your cake something something. ;)

dachshunddude86 likes this.
  3. ridglens

ridglens Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 10, 2010

fair enough!

Actually, i'm happy either way. i'm not disappointed in the trade value, i planned on drinking them all from the beginning, just kind of justifying why i guess! (besides, most-all of my trades are usually $4$ with locals/etc.). and i really don't think it's all based on cost, i think it's based on the assumption that grabbing a 4 pk of these is as easy/easier than grabbing a bottle of something else, when it's very much not. in fact, when measuring by the "case", it's twice as hard!

4. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

I understand better now. You're just trying to make the point that it seems like people assume 4 packs are easier to get than bombers of limited beer.

5. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (455) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

though in the case of black note, it was substantially easier to get the four packs than the 750s.

that said, i have no qualms about splitting up a four or six pack for a trade if it makes sense. just divide the pack price by the number of bottles in said pack and use that for the dollar value. easy peasy.

6. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

I can't get any good barrel aged four packs in Cali. It blows. That's why I trade my singles for full four packs at $4$ when Abel too.

7. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

If a beer comes in a four pack, it should be sold as a four pack.

abecall98 likes this.
  8. Why?
    When my local store gets, for example, only one case of KBS I'd rather get only one bottle than miss out entirely. But hey, it's cool, when only six people get any, the seventh can take comfort in the fact that at least the four packs remained intact.

9. aasher

aasher Champion (910) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

Because that is the way it comes. When stores break up sixers and four packs they start taxing customers. $8.99 for a bottle of KBS? That's lunacy!

10. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (725) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

Nonsense. Breaking up 6-packs is also just fine. Mix-and-match is great.

tinypyramids likes this.
  11. I didnt read the entire thread but its tough to buy beers in 4 packs, basically because i dont want four of the same beers. Just wanna have one and move on to the next one. Sorta the reason i didnt buy the new SN Abbey Quad brewed with Plums. Shit, maybe i should go back.

12. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (540) California Aug 11, 2007

4 packs rule for aging though Baldo. That's how I easily setup my KBS mini verticals back in the day.

ales4baldo likes this.
  13. This is true.

14. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (455) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

this. i only bought it because it was available as singles. i probably would not have thrown down for a $20 four pack just try it.

15. atoulouk

atoulouk Savant (400) Indiana Apr 25, 2011

I like that stores break up 4-packs and sell singles, and I am happy to pay the slightly higher per bottle price to just pick up 1 of something that I've never had before and looks intriguing. However, I don't think its righ to impose 1-bottle limits on beers that come in 4-packs. If there's 4 beers there, and the beer comes in a 4-pack I should be able to buy the 4-pack because that is how it was intended to be sold by the brewer, and that's how it was packaged to the store by the distributor. The store is just making an extra 20% or whatever the single bottle markup is because they know the beer is going to sell out under the cover up of "we want as many people to be able to try this as we can."

16. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (280) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

I initially thought OP meant how if a person went through the trouble of getting a rare-ish 4-pack, he/she will be drinking at least one of them, leaving anywhere from 1-3 (or none) for trading.