1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tour of John's Grocery in Iowa City

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Pintofbrown, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Pintofbrown

Pintofbrown Advocate (540) Iowa Jun 25, 2011

So this is a pretty neat virtual tour with lots of historical tidbits and anecdotes thrown in. The beer room tour starts at about 14:30 and the glass room is at 22:00, for those that don't want to see the entire 26 minute video, even though I recommend it.

2. morimech

morimech Advocate (665) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Watch the whole video. Interesting and I should make the detour off the Interstate when I pass by Iowa City. I like to support family owned businesses. Didn't really see a beer that interesting though. Do they still have one of the largest Belgian selections in the world?
    bditty187 likes this.
  3. redblacks75

redblacks75 Savant (370) Iowa Oct 29, 2010

I consider it an extensive selection of Belgians.
  4. JavaNoire

JavaNoire Aficionado (245) Iowa Dec 4, 2010

Choices in Iowa are limited. I'm extremely grateful to have John's though I wish we had even more.

John's is forthcoming with info & actually recommended that I get to WI & IL to enjoy a greater selection than any one start can provide. They suggested Family Beer & Liquor or Van's in East Dubuque.
    That advice has been invaluable, though I'll pay a bit more to buy at John's if it's available in both IL & IA.
  5. ballz50401

ballz50401 Aficionado (245) Iowa Jul 29, 2009

Cool vid! I was just in town Saturday and was going to check this place out, but I was trying to take the family on a trip that didn't involve beer. Gloves are off next time!!
  6. Thanks for the video. I consider John's Grocery the mecca of beer in Iowa. It may not be a big deal to people in places like Chicago and Minneapolis, but it is the best we have. And the culture of good beer they have introduced to the Iowa City area over the last couple decades is now paying dividends now that the state is slowly coming out of the dark ages.
  7. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Well he buys everything available in iowa and must not have any major competitors for the rarer things, otherwise there is in fact more of a selection in other markets, and there is anyways, that wall of Belgian beers is about the same as any cook county binnys.
  8. DrDoitchbig

DrDoitchbig Savant (335) Michigan Jun 6, 2009

I've seen selections of beer that come close to that. What's really impressive to me is that glass room, I've never seen a beer store with a glassware selection even 1/10th the size of that one.
  9. randjuke

randjuke Aficionado (195) Iowa Feb 13, 2010

I live about 90 minutes from John's and 2 hours from Binny's-Glen Ellyn. I'd go to the Binny's over John's any day. John's is a cool place for Iowa City but there's no comparison with the stores in larger markets. As others have pointed out the Belgian selection is good but you probably won't find much that surprises you.
  10. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

John's definitely has the best selection in Iowa. Wish I didn't live 2 hours away. :(