1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Town Hall Barrel-Aged Week

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Ungertaker, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

From their website (http://www.townhallbrewery.com/news.php)

"Barrel Aged Beer Week 2013 Feb 18-25

Here it is again!! Some of our loyal fans' favorite week. Official lineup still to come but some of the usual suspects will make an appearance including your buddy Czar Jack. We are also looking forward to breaking into a new trick for us, Grand Cru aged with cherries in a wine barrel.

Tickets for Growlers will go on sale February 10th at 11 a.m."

I can't wait for this! Glad they are going back to growlers, too...
    maximum12 likes this.
  2. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Awesome! Grand cru will be interesting. Can't wait.
  3. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

In MN, 750ml's are still growlers. Last years "press release" referred to them as growlers as well.

February 20, 2012 to February 25, 2012
    Town Hall has a full week of delicious barrel aged beers for your drinking delight.
    Feb 20-25 BARREL AGED WEEK- Time for use to brush of the dust, spiderwebs, and pry open the cellar door…..creeeeeeeekkkkkk…………all beers will be released @6pm, growlers will be available of all but only by pre-purchased tickets (don’t worry I will send you that info in a follow up email)
    Mon Feb 20- Buffalo Bock- Weizenbock aged in Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrel
    Tues Feb 21- Wee Jack- Scottish style Wee heavy aged in JD Tennessee Whiskey Barrel
    Wed Feb 22- Twisted Jim- American Barley Wine aged in Jim Beam Bourbon Barrel
    Thurs Feb 23- Tumaltuous Rare- Wheat Wine aged in Eagle Rare Bourbon Barrel
    Fri Feb 24- Barrel Monkey- Double IPA aged in Buffalo Trace Bourbon Barrel
    Sat Feb 25- Czar Jack- Everyone’s favorite barrel Aged Imperial Stout​
    tgchief likes this.
  4. Mista

Mista Aficionado (195) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

From my understanding they are going back to 64 oz growlers but who knows - still too early to say.
    supercolter likes this.
  5. Ish1

Ish1 Savant (305) Minnesota Feb 25, 2010

He was quoting 2012. Not 2013...
  6. All the bottles got infected so I'd assume growlers.
  7. That was not my experience, anyone else get infected bottles?
  8. How long after the release did you drink your bottles?
  9. I drank my bottles right after I got them. All infected.

just kidding. th rocks. btw, they have a hella lota good stuff on tap right now. elves elixir ftw.
    MITCHELLMPLS and Ungertaker like this.
  10. Had to be at least 6 months or so after.
  11. dc55110

One of my friends that I sent a Twisted Jim to had one last weekend. Report was,"one of the best examples of a BA American barleywine I've had!"
    So no, they are not all infected.
  12. I haven't touched my the two I got yet. Czar Jack and Wee Jack, hope they're ok. Any recon on these?
  13. I've had 7 Czar Jacks from last year. 4 were awesome, great and fantastic. 2 had a slight hint of tartness that gave me the "hhhmmmm, maybe just a bit" and one was so freakin tart tht it wasn't finished. I love TH and by last count have personally sent out 88 Massalla Mamma growlers to other BA's to enjoy. It is by far one of my favorite things about beer in MN, so very stoked for BA week again. This year, I won't be having back surgery and will be able to hit them all.
  14. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (330) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

Chatted this afternoon at the bar. Definitely going back to 64 oz growlers, quality control issues cited. She also said the lineup will have a large turnover, with only Czar Jack and potentially one other holdover. No Jim Beam barrels. Lots of Buffalo Trace. She and I commiserated over the retirement of Twisted Jim.
  15. I love twisted Jim, but I a glad to see the beam barrels go. There are so many better options out there.
  16. Says king of the barrels
  17. says king of the bitchers, touche, douche.
  18. Apparently you've never had Jim Beam. Jim Beam is to Bourbon what Arby's is to fine dining. C'mon man!
    Ungertaker, Penguin3200 and lurpy1 like this.
  19. hoeg0015

I submit that it may not get any finer than Arby's curly fries.
    theCoder, Penguin3200 and lurpy1 like this.
  20. Just playin' Peter. That stuff sucks. They should just start using only van winkle barrels ;)
  21. lurpy1

lurpy1 Savant (470) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

The original Arbys was a Michelin 3 star restaurant in Paris and horsey sauce was a reduction of beluga caviar. At least that's what the Onion's encyclopedia says.
    Penguin3200, KarlHungus and Cyclone8 like this.
  22. plumcrazyfx

plumcrazyfx Savant (420) Minnesota Aug 26, 2010

You're right Jim Beam sucks. Please send your unwanted bottles of Twisted Jim to me (no seriously, ISO, check my gots, willing to be generous).

I'm hoping for Twisted Buffalo this year as a consolation.
    Penguin3200 likes this.
  23. Ungertaker

Twisted Templeton, FTW
    psychotia likes this.
  24. Twisted Pappy!
    mnbearsfan likes this.
  25. going to get tickets this year for sure. ive missed out the previous years. do tickets guarantee growlers? or do you still have to line up early every day?
  26. zeledonia

zeledonia Advocate (500) Minnesota Nov 23, 2008

The way it worked last year, once you had the tickets, that guaranteed you the bottles, and you could pick them up whenever you liked. They preferred that you pick up your bottles on the day of the release, but it wasn't necessary.
  27. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Most of mine were infected last year. I'll just try them on tap this year instead of dropping $200.
  28. dc55110

That's what you get for being first in line!
  29. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Hey! ...I was 3rd. And drove down each night to grab my bottles and have a beer.
    Penguin3200 and laymansbeerfan like this.
  30. kbutler1

kbutler1 Advocate (500) Minnesota Aug 20, 2008

Bummer, I'll be out of town the day of ticket sales AND be on vacation during BA week. Double Whammy.
    pmccallum86 likes this.
  31. Damn, I'll be up north that day. Who wants to mule? Will add a bottle of deliciousness for the effort...
  32. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

Damn, wish I could come up for this. Loved the Wee Jack last year!
    crushedvol likes this.
  33. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

Can't wait. Anybody tailgating?
  34. Ungertaker

I will be there early with a bottle of something discreetly hidden from the eyes of passing cops.
    KWMiles and minnesotaryan like this.
  35. I will procure an empty coffee caribou cup to sample said bottle.
    KWMiles and Ungertaker like this.
  36. Ungertaker

IIRC, Joe (olympuszymurgus) was first in line. He put it just like so on the old forum, "First in line bitches!" ;)
  37. It's true. 6 hours after leaving TH drunk as a fool I found myself back in front of the place spending all my money. Again.
  38. TheDudeRules

TheDudeRules Savant (280) Minnesota Nov 18, 2010

Oh boo hoo. Another sweet trip for you. I will cry myself to sleep knowing you won't be there.
    maximum12 likes this.
  39. You don't possess the ability to cry you heartless bastard....
    Ungertaker and Penguin3200 like this.
  40. hoeg0015

I heard he drain pours his tears.
    josephwa and Cyclone8 like this.